Switch to full style
Know a great, safe spot to shoot? Post it up! Coordinate clean-up effort here as well.
Post a reply

Greenwater Range Questions

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:49 pm

Hello all. I recently moved to South King County from North King County and this last weekend I took a drive out to the Greenwater shooting location. I am looking for a place to take a small group of friends shooting. I have a few questions about this place. Feel free to contact me directly or respond to this post.

1. On a weekend when are there less people? First thing in the morning? Late afternoon?

2. When I stooped there on Saturday around 10:00am it was quite busy. What is the etiquette for seas fire to setup targets?

3. Anything you think a newcomer to this location should know?

Have a great day all.

Re: Greenwater Range Questions

Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:58 pm

Ah yes . . . shooting at Greenwater, or any similar place. It's quite the experience. :bigsmile:

My understanding is that earlier = better in terms of crowds.

Some things to know:

- You'll find all kinds of people out there, including assholes, stupid people, drunk people, people that don't give a shit, and people whose idea of "safe" is much different than yours. Be prepared to deal with these people, or leave if it's warranted. As there are no "rules," you may not be comfortable with the behavior of others.

- Take charge with safety. You asked about the etiquette of calling a cease-fire; I do it exactly the same way that I call a cease-fire at a normal range. I walk up and down the line and ask people, "Do you mind going cold in just a minute" or "Do you mind if we have a cease-fire when you're done with that magazine." They all say "yes, fine." Then in a couple of minutes, as people are putting their guns down and it looks like everyone is ready, I yell, "RANGE IS COLD!!!." Then when everyone is back from changing targets, I ask if people are ready to go hot. If yes, "RANGE IS HOT!!!." Bottom line: Just take charge, and act like a rangemaster.

- Some people will try to go out and change targets without calling a cease-fire. <-- Yes, you read that right. Don't let them. If they start walking out, yell "CEASE FIRE" and take charge. Ask them not to do that shit.

- Clean up any trash that you leave behind, and then some. PLEASE.

And the best suggestion that I have: Come join us on the 16th, and we'll show you exactly what I'm talking about!
http://waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=83803

Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:57 pm

Everything that was said above.

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:19 pm

MadPick pretty much nailed it...

Only thing I would add is, I tend to leave if a bunch of clowns show up....you know, bad-ass wannabes, loud-mouth, holding pistols sideways, with obviously little or no experience with weapons & not paying attention to muzzle direction.

If its one or two, I may go over & chat 'em up & talk gun safety, give 'em some targets, etc, but if it's a group, they generally don't want to listen.

I want to be neither victim, nor witness....

Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:02 am

Thanks for the input. Does anyone know if this location is currently closed because of the fire on Chrystal Mountain?

Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:47 pm

I would have said you're fine, but there's a fire just started on Sawmill Ridge which is close enough I can see them maybe closing the road for equipment, unless they go in from the Kittitas side.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:30 pm

Hi there, new member here. Can confirm that FS 70 is currently closed. Tried to go up there today the smoke is a lot worse once you get past Greenwater. I don't think any of us were too upset when we found that access was cut off. Ha. I can imagine that we won't be able to use that area for a few weeks.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:33 pm

Welcome to WaGuns, Bryan, and thank you for the intel! :wavey:

Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:03 pm

Any word on if FS-70 has been opened?

Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Vader wrote:Any word on if FS-70 has been opened?

As of last Tuesday it has not. All forest roads on hwy 410 were closed http://www.waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=83803&start=30

Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:20 am

Thanks. Spoke with Forest Service yesterday. Looks like it's going to be closed for a bit.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:59 pm

Just drove past FS 70 today. All the signs have been taken down and it looks like the road has been reopened!

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:38 pm

Friend drove up today 10/2 said it was still closed. Hope he was at the wrong road!

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:14 pm

I drove past at about 5pm and all the closure signs were taken down where FS70 meets 410. However, I didn't drive down 70 so I'm not sure if it's closed a little farther up the road. I assume it's open for shooting but you know what they say about those who assume... lol

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:02 pm

As of 9/26 the forest service has asked that nobody attempt to enter the forest service roads off hey 410. Firefighters still have small fires and smoldering fires to get under control. Their equipment needs to be moved out even after the fires are gone so it will take time I'll update the thread once I receive word.
Post a reply