Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 5:01 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 A little afternoon project . . . Mosin sniper improvement 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Some of you have shot my repro Mosin sniper, and may remember how the upper hand guard will sometimes slide around because one of the barrel band retainer springs was broken. Beyond that, some parts of the stock weren't as nice as I wanted them to be.

I bought a laminated Mosin stock from TacticalAssault some months back with the intent to put it on the sniper, but the project has been languishing . . . mostly because I wasn't really sure how I was going to make the cutout in the side of the stock to accommodate the scope mount. I live in an apartment, I'm not really a handyman, and I don't have much in the way of tools.

Today I said "screw it" and went for it . . . Dremel in hand. :bigsmile: I think it turned out pretty good:

The cutout around the scope mount isn't perfect, but I think it looks even better than the original. Here's the original:

Here's how it looks now:

I had to replace the forward barrel band; the original wasn't large enough to fit over the laminated stock and hand guard, for some reason. Replacing the barrel band required drifting off the front sight, which was an added complication but not too big of a deal.

Another project down . . . a couple more to go. :rockout:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat May 12, 2012 2:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:thumbsup2:

that's an awesome job well done.

Sat May 12, 2012 2:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

badarse!! i was just playing Sniper Elite V2 and it made me wanna get a Mosin and SVT40!

Sat May 12, 2012 2:58 pm

Nice work it looks much better then the original did.

Sat May 12, 2012 3:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, good job fitting the stock. BUT - you didn't have the required lunch of sardines, black bread, a block of cheese, and a quart of vodka, like the good ole boys who put the rifle together the first time. Lets get you properly prepared next time, and see how you do............... heh heh heh.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Sat May 12, 2012 3:50 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

You make a good point, RENCORP.

Next project, we'll do it as a group to make sure I get it right. thumbsup

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat May 12, 2012 4:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, if you held a lit Bic lighter to either end of those fellas, they were breathing fire after lunch !

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Sat May 12, 2012 4:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RENCORP wrote:
Yep, good job fitting the stock. BUT - you didn't have the required lunch of sardines, black bread, a block of cheese, and a quart of vodka, like the good ole boys who put the rifle together the first time. Lets get you properly prepared next time, and see how you do............... heh heh heh.

seeing the finish on those mosin's makes me think it's time to finally strip the crappy beat up laminated finish off my mosin and refinish the wood. I don't ever shoot it, and it can be replaced for $100 if something goes completely sideways.... so I think I'll follow your idea, and refinish it, but only when utterly hammered - this should be fun.

Sat May 12, 2012 4:22 pm

Thanks for the inspiration!! Now that the AR is pretty much done I need something new to work on!!

Sat May 12, 2012 5:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That looks real sweet Madpick, nice job.

Sat May 12, 2012 6:05 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice job! Looks much better now!

Sat May 12, 2012 8:18 pm
Profile WWW
Founding Father
Founding Father

Great job, Steve. Looks a lot better with that stock on it.

Sat May 12, 2012 9:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like your wood woorking skills are better than you thought! Nice work Steve.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun May 13, 2012 7:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really nice. So when and where are we going to shoot it?

:-)

Sun May 13, 2012 7:37 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Nice work steve! Now time to get working on the PS90 - 10/22 conversion.... you still have that right?

Sun May 13, 2012 8:48 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next