Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:07 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 A comprehensive look at my Canadian/Israeli AR 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey all. This is gonna be pic heavy, so watch out.

I bought an AR parts kit from another forum, all original 1980s manufactured stuff (I opted for the seller to omit the stripped lower and sell me everything else). As was mentioned, manufacture is all original, 1980s stuff, down to the A1 rear sight, slimline handguards, 4-position buffer tube and teardrop forward assist. I haven`t shot it yet considering it`s only been assembled about a day.

The PSA lower is the only part not period correct as far as I can tell (I know AKs better). I haven`t yet fired it, work has put me in places I can`t just hit a store and buy a couple boxes on the way home. I`m just glad I kept my cleaning supplies!

So without further ado, here`s a look over:

Here are the parts, as I ordered them.

Very little fouling to be seen on the gas tube.

Bolt face showed light use, my guess would be...300-500 rounds? Bolt tail was caked in carbon buildup which was promptly scraped and wiped off - I don`t like dirty guns.

And as of yesterday afternoon, the rifle was assembled thanks to one of the PSA lowers Toys in the Toybox was selling/trading, ironically to fund a build of his own. As much as I despise standard, GI M4-pattern handguards, I find I rather like the slimmer guards. They may very well stay.

Interior is totally mil-spec, because I find I don`t totally mind a plain milspec trigger. In fact, I have more trigger time with a milspec set and it could be argued that my greater experience with them over an aftermarket means I may actually shoot better with a bad trigger than a good one. That has yet to be tested.

BCG and Charging handle are plain and unmarked. Again, I don`t mind considering the purpose of this rifle - as a blaster. Not to wring sub-MOA precision from, but to be used and abused.

I note slight rust in the flash hider and possibly a kind of knurled crush washer, assuming a crush washer is even present. My next afternoon project will likely be to remove the flash hider and give it a soak in cheap cola to remove the rust.

I find I enjoy the A1 pattern rear sight over the A2, and the A1 grip as well.

The barrel`s exterior has some strange wear patterns I note. I suspect this side to be the result of prolonged firing against some kind of slatted barrier or similar, however a single fiber (or hair) is caught in the wear as well.

The other side features an interesting pattern as well. I`d love to learn the story behind it.

Lastly, the brass deflector shows almost no discoloration. In addition to the bore`s excellent condition, I`m convinved the Diemaco C7 upper I have here has seen very sparse, but hard use. All told, for approximately the same price as a brand new PSA, I got a Colt.

I have never been, am not, and will NEVER be an NRA member. They sold me out a dozen times, just like they have you!

"while CZ, SIG, FN, and Izhmash (hum...) are playing Hardball, American manufacturers are too busy playing Lawyerball."

Want High end Russian military gear? PM me!

Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nice work! I really like that upper. :bow:

Divided we fall.

Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you! I do too. If this is what it felt like to be a Canadian troop 30 years ago, I wouldn`t feel outgunned.

I have never been, am not, and will NEVER be an NRA member. They sold me out a dozen times, just like they have you!

"while CZ, SIG, FN, and Izhmash (hum...) are playing Hardball, American manufacturers are too busy playing Lawyerball."

Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:31 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

The left side of the barrel is clearly moose rubs from a fine canadian beast shedding the felts off its new antlers. The left side, well those are indents from a Canadian "soldier" opening kokanee bottles while spending far too many days in a half dug hole as far away from battle as possible.

Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
The left side of the barrel is clearly moose rubs from a fine canadian beast shedding the felts off its new antlers. The left side, well those are indents from a Canadian "soldier" opening kokanee bottles while spending far too many days in a half dug hole as far away from battle as possible.

:rofl9: :ROFLMAO:

Now that was pretty good Mike.

William, good job. :thumbsup2: Looks like a good serviceable AR that will do what you want it to.

Now run it like you stole it. :bigsmile:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Many thanks, all. It`s good to have an AR again, as much as I adore my AKS74.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:31 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I love it! Only thing I would add if it were me is this sweet replica lower:

http://www.runnerrunnerguns.com/US_Colt ... f-us-s.htm

Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you, Jacy. My understanding is that to be totally accurate (Minus F/A) to an IDF rifle from this era would actually be a Bushmaster lower, of all things. I`m happy with my PSA.

For now...

Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:47 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Fjordforder wrote:
Thank you, Jacy. My understanding is that to be totally accurate (Minus F/A) to an IDF rifle from this era would actually be a Bushmaster lower, of all things. I`m happy with my PSA.

For now...

A Bushmaster?! Ha! Who knew?

I just like that replica lower but have to make myself NOT buy one or else I'll have to look for all the old school parts to go on it. The PSA is just fine... until you find me the correct Bushmaster...

Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My (limited) research shows that Bushmasters weren`t terribly common in IDF service in those days but knowing how Israel operates, there are probably still a few dozen floating around in the armories.

Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]