This is the place to discuss the how, when, where and why we carry.
Post a reply

The extra magazine debate revisited

Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:04 am

For those that carry. The argument of carrying extra mags has been going on for so many years.

In the past the engagements have been primarily focused on single, very low count exchange. Meaning bad guy and a few shots and it’s done. So the argument has been one mag or the ammo in the gun would cover most engagements.

Now with the ever changing landscape of defensive shootings are now incorporating hardened targets. Bad guys with intent to do harm with multiple firearms and magazines for long engagements or multiple bad guys.

So, with a new perspective this argument enhances those to rethink if a spare mag is a viable choice.

1) it depends on what the capacity of the carry gun. Are you carrying 6-7 rounds versus 15-17?

2) attire - what are you dealing with as for clothing and how you carry. Are you in shorts and a T-shirt? Versus heavy coat etc where it’s easier to conceal and carry more stuff.

3) of course, where are you going? It really doesn’t matter as things happen everywhere. Remember we can only react but we can plan and prepare.

4) user preference. As in if you carry. You should practice what and how you carry. When practice doesn’t match what you actually carry. You may run into problems. This also goes on the lines of the ammo one Carries but never shoots.

Re: The extra magazine debate revisited

Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:08 am

Belt carry, I always have two spare mags. Single or double stack, doesn't matter.
Shorts and a Tank top? (My usual attire) a pocket carry G42 in a holster and a spare mag in the other pocket.

Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:25 am

When I had that situation with the mentally deranged person I just had my Davis .38 derringer so 2 shots and a six shot speed loader. Even in this heat I have gone back to a T shirt with my shoulder rig for my Star Model B and 5 magazines of 8 for reloads. I have some very light snap instead of buttons pocket casual shirts for a cover garment.

Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:27 am

deep ends on the situation and venue.
For work a pocket revo and a belt ammo holster with one strip of five rounds, and some strong prayer.

Other places and activities might allow and call for a larger pistola and moar pew-pews. But the GHB in the car allows for more... options.

Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:43 am

personally, I have never heard of anyone losing a gun fight because they had too much ammo. Trained to always have a full mag.

Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:48 am

I still love my Vertx Transit Sling 2.0 with two IIIA plates, as G19 with two spares is still my EDC.

https://vertx.com/transit-sling-bag-2-0

https://premierbodyarmor.com/products/t ... 1843339426

And here I have a “sandwich” of two IIIA plates.
Not an ideal against 5.56, but still better than nothing.

Post a reply