Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 WA bill 1588 - require background checks for all gun sales. 

Below is the latest from Joe Waldron, the legislative watchdog at Washington Arms Collectors (WAC). When the WA legislature is in session, he sends a weekly email reporting on current firearms related bills being considered in Olympia. House Bill 1588 is advertised as a background check bill. In fact it is a gun registration bill. As we all know from past history, registration is ALWAYS followed by confiscation (England, Canada, Australia, etc.), and eventually by genocide. (In 1933 the Germans didn't think it could happen. By 1945, Hitler had murdered millions of his own citizens. Stalin and Mao did the same thing.) HB 1588 is scheduled for a hearing on Wed, 13 Feb @8 A.M., along with other anti gun bills.
If you care about your right to keep and bear arms (or that of your child or grandchild), you should be on his email list. If you want to subscribe to GOAL Post by e-mail, send a message to "jwaldron@halcyon.com". On the subject line enter "subscribe".

A few years ago I attended a hearing on a gun confiscation bill. Thanks to Joe there was a huge crowd in attendance. 95% of them were opposed to the bill. The bill never came up for a floor vote because it died in committee. All politicians are keenly aware of numbers. When they realize that they might be voted out of office because of their vote on a particular bill, they pay attention. You do NOT have to give public testimony. Just go to the building where the hearing is being held. Tables just outside or inside the hearing room have sign-up sheets available. You can sign on and state your position on a bill ("pro" = support, "con" = oppose). It takes only a couple of minutes. Then you can visit your state senator and representatives and let them know that you are paying attention to their vote. If they are not in the office, you can leave a message with their secretary. All of them understand that if you are serious enough about a bill to drive all the way to Olympia, they would be wise to pay attention. You can also tell them your opinion of anything else that interests you, such as tax increases.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:00 am

Bill 1588 status

Bill 1588 (background checks) is scheduled for a Judiciary Committee hearing on Wednesday February 13 at 8am in Olympia. Take a day off from work to be there to sign in against the bill and speak to the committee about it. I can give up to two people a ride to Olympia from the Bremerton, Port Orchard, Belfair or Shelton area. Listening is easy, speaking is easy too, after you have done it once. Call me if you need to know more.

Randy Bragge
(360) 440-5889

Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:59 pm

I will be there and I am preparing a statement.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sometimes i wonder about the legalities involved in this bill.

A STATE law would require the use of a FEDERALLY funded agency/program, using FEDERALLY licensed dealers as tool to facilitate STATE law?

I'm trying to think up similar situations, but none spring immediately to mind.

This seems to me to be a Pandora's box if day, the United States Congress refuse to fund the FBI's NICS system when used to check private transactions.

The result of not appropriating federal funds, would be a de-facto halt to private sales. And it could be done simply by inserting language into appropriations bill.

And as I have said before, FFL's in protests could simply refuse to handle instate private transactions. So this bill in order to function, would require the good nature of FFL's to function.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AntonDRehling wrote:
As we all know from past history, registration is ALWAYS followed by confiscation (England, Canada, Australia, etc.), and eventually by genocide. (In 1933 the Germans didn't think it could happen. By 1945, Hitler had murdered millions of his own citizens.

Whenever "Gun Registration" is discussed the topic of Nazi Germany always comes up. There were two major gun "acts" passed in pre-war Germany. One in 1928, before Hitler's rise to power and another in 1938, after he took over. The "act" passed under Hitler actually loosened regulations on firearms from what was in effect in 1928. Of course if you were Jewish, you basically had NO rights under the Nazi's so what difference did it make with gun regulation.

(from wiki)

Quote:
The 1938 German Weapons Act, the precursor of the current weapons law, superseded the 1928 law. As under the 1928 law, citizens were required to have a permit to carry a firearm and a separate permit to acquire a firearm. Furthermore, the law restricted ownership of firearms to "...persons whose trustworthiness is not in question and who can show a need for a (gun) permit." But under the new law:
Gun restriction laws applied only to handguns, not to long guns or ammunition. The 1938 revisions completely deregulated the acquisition and transfer of rifles and shotguns, as was the possession of ammunition."[4]
The legal age at which guns could be purchased was lowered from 20 to 18.[5]
Permits were valid for three years, rather than one year.[5]
The groups of people who were exempt from the acquisition permit requirement expanded. Holders of annual hunting permits, government workers, and NSDAP members were no longer subject to gun ownership restrictions. Prior to the 1938 law, only officials of the central government, the states, and employees of the German Reichsbahn Railways were exempted.[4]
Jews were forbidden from the manufacturing or dealing of firearms and ammunition.[4]
Under both the 1928 and 1938 acts, gun manufacturers and dealers were required to maintain records with information about who purchased guns and the guns' serial numbers. These records were to be delivered to a police authority for inspection at the end of each year.
On November 11, 1938, the Minister of the Interior, Wilhelm Frick, promulgated Regulations Against Jews' Possession of Weapons. This regulation effectively deprived Jews of the right to possess firearms or other weapons

http://www.waguns.org/posting.php?mode=quote&f=47&p=160943

Also consider reading this and draw your own conclusions. http://www.natvan.com/national-vanguard/assorted/gunhitler.html

Granted, National Vanguard is a little far out as an organization but prejudices aside, the article makes for an interesting read.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Motivated wrote:
John Carlson had WA state rep. Mike Hope(R-WA) and David Workman from the Second Amendment Foundation on the air this morning (570 KVI) for a discussion on this bill. To say the least, I was not impressed with all three people. Workman was the most uninformed person I've ever heard, not only on this legislation but, gun rights in general.

Carlson didn't ask Hope why the NRA is adamantly against this bill.
Bottom line, say hello to gun registration unless Hope changes his mind.

You must be new.... Workman is very informed.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know I will get flammed for this.

And I also know I do not live in Vegas any longer. But in Vegas if you want to sell a pistol Legally you the new owner and the pistol have to go to the city court building to put that pistol in the new owners name every gun has a blue card. It did suck be we were used to it. things their were a lot different. gun shows had the metro police there to put guns in folks names. No waiting periods was the point in private sales over FFL's they have no choice in the matter.

rule 2 just pisses them off wife blah blah blah husband yes dear what ever you say dear!

Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:31 pm
Profile YIM

According to Brian Rosenthal with the Seattle Times, 38 out of 50 needed representatives are signed on and 23 out of 25 needed senators are signed on.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damn. We need to bombard them with calls and emails against this.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:54 am

Here are some details on the revised bill http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/ ... cation=rss

"The new bill also allows private parties to bypass the background check if the buyer already has a concealed pistol license." THIS is what I wanted to see.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Defossion wrote:
I hope everyone realizes that this is Gun Registration, and at the rate this bill is gaining momentum, it will pass easily.

The apathy from the so-called "gun community" is sad. Gun owners, generally, would rather sit at home and hope that it all works out than dedicate even a few hours toward preserving their rights.

Tell us how you really feel.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DiagonAlley wrote:
Here are some details on the revised bill http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/ ... cation=rss

"The new bill also allows private parties to bypass the background check if the buyer already has a concealed pistol license." THIS is what I wanted to see.

I'd just as soon see no checks at all, but this would vaguely make a shitty setup slightly less shitty.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have read elsewhere and have been unable to confirm, that in the wake of Obama's EO's a letter of instructions was sent to FFL's instructing them on private sale background checks,a nd that a 4473 was REQUIRED.

Paper trail.

Unaaceptable.

If anyone can confirm or refute the story, please do.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The object of the bill is to create a new class of prosecutable crime.
If there is no paper trail, no record of a check ever having been completed, the it will be impossible to prove.

So lets say you were issued a receipt with no LEO/Dealer copy, stating you did a check an sunch ans such a date, with the buyers ID etc.

Then the receipt is lost, dies in a fire, dog at it? Then what?
Yo a re supposed to safeguard this slip of paper for all eternity?

Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201302 ... e-concerns

Quote:
Under a revised bill considered during a committee hearing Wednesday, lawmakers say agencies that conduct background checks would have to destroy records of the search once it's complete. Opponents of the bill had expressed concern that the transaction records would essentially provide a foundation for a registry of gun owners.
Quote:
The new bill also allows private parties to bypass the background check if the buyer already has a concealed pistol license. People involved in a transaction can also skip the background check if a request for such information goes unanswered for three days, responding to concerns that the federal system could be unavailable for periods of time. The new measure also removes a provision that allowed a state agency to request that more detailed information be submitted as part of the background check process.

Better than it was...

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next