Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:45 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 SHB 1840 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I'm watching the debate on SHB 1840. Am I missing something, I'm not seeing any red flags? Other than setting a precedent for confiscating firearms. I caught the statement about having a hearing prior to firearms be confiscated. Even the NRA is ok with the bill, as long as some language is corrected to support due process.

http://www.tvw.org/index.php?option=com_tvwliveplayer&eventID=2013030147

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Im not very good with this whole "bill reading" thing but from what I can tell this is way more of a gun control bill than anything. I read through it and the definition of "harassing" would be nice to know.

Can some one shine some light?

What I read through.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdo ... s/1840.pdf

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems HB 1840 has been Passed to Rules Committee for second reading.

This Victory Girls Blog has quite a bit to say about this bill including pointing out that restraining orders are “part of the gamesmanship of divorce.”

Want to have your guns confiscated because a divorce lawyer wants to pay the game? If not, I think it's time to write our WA Representatives.

Find your legislators here:
http://app.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/

TCSA & NRA Range Safety Officer
Life Member - NRA, SAF & TCSA
Member - CCRKBA, GOA
RWVA Rifleman

Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:28 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Its happening...

Revived gun-control bill approved 97-0 in state House
Quote:
House Bill 1840 is back.

The proposal, which would require some gun owners with a restraining or protective order against them to temporarily surrender their firearms while the order is in effect, was seen last year as the one gun-control bill that could actually make it through the Washington Legislature — until it died in the state Senate, leaving supporters “seething with anger.”

(The issue was profiled in a New York Times investigation last March.)

Now it’s been revived and received a surprising 97-0 vote (with one member absent) on the state House floor this week after Democrats and Republicans agreed on compromise language.

The compromise adds more judicial oversight by preventing the surrender of guns unless the order is accompanied by an additional finding that the subject constitutes a “credible threat.”

That matches the amendment that got the bill through the Senate Law & Justice Committee unanimously last year. The chairman, strong Second Amendment supporter Mike Padden, said Thursday that he still supports the bill but cannot control what his caucus decides to do.

Last year, caucus leaders did not allow the bill to come up for a vote on the floor because of concerns that some residents would be temporarily denied a gun without due process, Padden said.

“We’ll see what happens this time,” said Padden, R-Spokane Valley.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/politicsn ... ate-house/

Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
Founding Father
Founding Father

Meh. Not an issue really. So if you're getting a divorce and the wife tries to play the bullshit restraining order angle it doesn't mean you have to give up your guns unless there is other proof that you're a threat. That being said...IF you are indeed a threat then it's probably best you don't have your guns anyway. Also it says temporary..meaning that once the order is lifted you get your shit back. IF it's not lifted, again, you must pose a threat. In a case not involving divorce there usually has to be police reports or some other history of violence before a restraining order is issued. IF they have that proof then there is something wrong with you in the first place.

I don't know about the rest of you but I have never had a restraining order against me and I don't intend to. Non issue.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:56 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

TacticalAssault wrote:
… Also it says temporary..meaning that once the order is lifted you get your shit back. …

I saw one that defined temporary as 50 years . . . at least it wasn't permanent.

Synopsis of Rules for Radicals: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/communism/alinsky.htm
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" - Bob Marley
104th Division Image Timberwolves

Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:01 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dang it. Who is going to manage all of the confiscated weapons? Storage, tracking and returns. Sounds like a nightmare. I don't like it. What next?

NRA Range Safety Officer
NSSF Member
SAF Defender's Club - Life member
US Navy - 1976-1982

Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:19 pm
Founding Father
Founding Father

DocNugent wrote:
TacticalAssault wrote:
… Also it says temporary..meaning that once the order is lifted you get your shit back. …

I saw one that defined temporary as 50 years . . . at least it wasn't permanent.

That would be an issue. This one states until the restraining order is lifted. So again...Meh.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cdoniguian wrote:
Dang it. Who is going to manage all of the confiscated weapons? Storage, tracking and returns. Sounds like a nightmare. I don't like it. What next?

I think 55 gallon drums would be used and these drums may "accidentally" be exposed to saltwater.. not that thats ever happened before :wink05:

Albert Einstein

Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RadioSquatch wrote:
cdoniguian wrote:

I think 55 gallon drums would be used and these drums may "accidentally" be exposed to saltwater.. not that thats ever happened before :wink05:

When Beaverton Oregon seized my weapons due to some shit with my exwife and I... Well when they returned them... They were not in the same shape as when they had been taken. I was so damned pissed I took photos of them as I recieved them to prove that they had returned them in such shape. Talked to a lawyer about it... He pretty much said I could go after them but I wouldn't have shit for a case due to lack of proof of how they had received them. I took the loss on it... Still sucks

Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:53 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

RadioSquatch wrote:

Remember NOLA.

Synopsis of Rules for Radicals: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/communism/alinsky.htm
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" - Bob Marley
104th Division Image Timberwolves

Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:55 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DocNugent wrote:
RadioSquatch wrote:

Remember NOLA.

But but but they wont take no ones guns...riiiight?? :shush:

Albert Einstein

Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TacticalAssault wrote:
Meh. Not an issue really. So if you're getting a divorce and the wife tries to play the bullshit restraining order angle it doesn't mean you have to give up your guns unless there is other proof that you're a threat. That being said...IF you are indeed a threat then it's probably best you don't have your guns anyway. Also it says temporary..meaning that once the order is lifted you get your shit back. IF it's not lifted, again, you must pose a threat. In a case not involving divorce there usually has to be police reports or some other history of violence before a restraining order is issued. IF they have that proof then there is something wrong with you in the first place.

I don't know about the rest of you but I have never had a restraining order against me and I don't intend to. Non issue.

Is this sarcasm? Or are you blind to the manipulative ways of women scorned? Also a credible threat to many people is just being in possession of multiple firearms. I believe most people on this site would fail that litmus test. This is a bad bill aimed at disarming citizens using creative language. Even if the intent isn't to disarm it can easily be misused to do so.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sissyboy wrote:
a credible threat to many people is just being in possession of multiple firearms.

:yes:
My ex tried all kinds of crazy to get me into trouble when she left. Including the legal kind. All it takes is her word and they hand out protection orders like candy. Regardless if you did/said/or thought about anything. Good thing I took a couple weeks off and told her to move out while I was gone. She showed up with cops and all in an attempt to drum up drama. I'll be haunted by her BS the rest of my life.

"A nation grown free in a single day is a child born with the limbs and the vigour of a man, who would take a drawn sword for his rattle, and set the house in a blaze that he might chuckle over the splendour." Sydney Smith (1771-1845)
Spoiler: show
NOW YOU DID IT...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:32 pm

HB-1840 - Concerning firearms laws for persons subject to no-contact orders, protection orders, and restraining orders.

Revived gun-control bill approved 97-0 in state House:
http://blogs.seattletimes.com/politicsnorthwest/2014/02/14/gun-control-bill-revived-unanimously-approved-in-state-house/

All should take a very close look at this bill and consider the possible abuses and unintended consequences.

It's very fast and easy to have your voice heard on any proposed legislation.

Go to the legislative web site associated with the proposed bill:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=1840

Take a few minutes to scan through the bill:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2013-14/Pdf/Bills/House%20Bills/1840-S.E.pdf

Contact your representatives by clicking on the "Comment on this bill" button;. You can write up to 1,000 characters; that's only 10 to 12 lines so you have to keep it short and to the point.
https://app.leg.wa.gov/pbc/bill/1840

"We the People" must be willing to get engaged in the political process or we will most definitely continue to lose our rights and freedoms. Don't just complain about these issues; get involved and make your voices heard. Your individual voice really does make a difference.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next