Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 8:09 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 What does 591 actually do? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The part about confiscation is pretty clear. But what about the other part that limits background checks.

Dan and I pushed WAGR for clarification on the weakening of background checks, and this is their response. Is this true? When I read 591, it sounds more along the lines of background check or not. Not what entails a background check.

'We are happy to clear this up. We were curious about 591's impact on the existing background check system in Washington. So, we asked some legal experts. Here is what they had to say: "Initiative 591 would prohibit the State from enforcing any additional background checks beyond the NICS check. Specifically, the proposed initiative would repeal existing Washington law that requires a licensed firearm dealer selling a pistol to check with the chief of police or the sheriff of the jurisdiction in which the purchaser resides to determine whether the purchaser is eligible to possess a pistol under state law." ' - Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility - FB

Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:11 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is what I wrote in response to their comment;

Quote:
But as it was discussed at the Judiciary meeting, the DOL database is redundant anyhow. As WASIC and WASIS are now reporting nightly to NICS. The DOL "check" and LEO "check" provided the same information as a NICS check. To me, that sounds like wasted resources.

Back before the courts did data dumps to NICS daily, I can see the importance... But even now, DOL is over 100k records behind in logging, so the ability for a quick "2nd check" oversight is mute anyhow.

All those wasted funds could go towards mental health, where a difference could really be made.

Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:36 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And then silence...

Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DSynger wrote:
And then silence...

There's a backlog of facts and logic, they're just starting to think about processing Newton's Law of Motion.

240 grains of justice!

Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oops

Last edited by General Nonsense on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:35 am

It seems to me like I591 is completely unnecessary, and in fact could make things worse.

Why not just put all effort into making sure people vote NO on I594? What will I591 actually do if both bills are passed, for example?

I find it very hard to trust anything SAF and Alan Gottlieb gets behind, after they threw their weight behind the Manchin-Toomey bill earlier this year. SAF seems to smell more and more like some sort of astroturf operation as time goes on.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mancat wrote:
It seems to me like I591 is completely unnecessary, and in fact could make things worse.

Why not just put all effort into making sure people vote NO on I594? What will I591 actually do if both bills are passed, for example?

I find it very hard to trust anything SAF and Alan Gottlieb gets behind, after they threw their weight behind the Manchin-Toomey bill earlier this year. SAF seems to smell more and more like some sort of astroturf operation as time goes on.

One, it is suppose to protect against confiscation without due process. Post hurricane Katrina is a good example of when this would be important. Also, people are pushing for domestic abuse legislation that could forgo due process.

Two, we don't want to give up our state rights to the federal government, but whatever the feds put into action will roll down to the states anyway. I was informed that 591 would do away with the local law enforcement background check, but it is now redundant. Washington is pushing all the info used for the local check to NICS. This could potentially save manpower and money to eliminate the local check.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I misread. I thought this was about 594.

591 would remove the pistol background check as Dan stated. WAGR wants to keep that and expand upon it with 594 in order to create de facto registration.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:50 pm

I was not aware that 591 would eliminate the pistol check/registry/wait period. That's good.

I still am extremely suspicious of SAF. Don't mind me.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mancat wrote:
I was not aware that 591 would eliminate the pistol check/registry/wait period. That's good.

I still am extremely suspicious of SAF. Don't mind me.

As I recall, it may reduce or eliminate the mandatory 5-day wait on pistols purchased without a CPL as well. Which is also a good thing. Anyone sure of that?

Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:00 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

General Nonsense wrote:

As I recall, it may reduce or eliminate the mandatory 5-day wait on pistols purchased without a CPL as well. Which is also a good thing. Anyone sure of that?

Shoudn't... That's a federal requirement placed upon FFL's as a term of doing business.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:28 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can walk out the door with a pistol without a CPL in Oregon....the wait period is a state thing.

240 grains of justice!

Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:20 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

SmugTuna wrote:
You can walk out the door with a pistol without a CPL in Oregon....the wait period is a state thing.

240 grains of justice!

I stand corrected, it is a state thing! The federal 5-day wait was removed in 1998 when NICS went computerized.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:13 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UBCs on a state level are less likely to be effective than a federal consistent UBC process for private sales. So I actually do like 591 in that respect.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DSynger wrote:
This could potentially save manpower and money to eliminate the local check.

True that but knowing our State they'll just waste the manpower and money in a different area of government. Won't result in any true change to the taxpayers. The State will just reassign the employees tasked with the "2nd check" and spend any money saved from the rest of the process to hire even more unneeded employees.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next