Switch to full style
Current and Upcoming Legislation. Local, State and Federal.

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.
Post a reply

building pistol laws

Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:43 pm

I would like to build a pistol like the one in the picture.
I would like to use the billet lower bought in Group buy, it was transferred to me as "OTHER".
What would I have to do to make this legal for me to build and have? -
I am having a unusual hard time finding laws (state and fed) on this.

sure would appreciate some information on this.

TIA
Brian

Re: building pistol laws

Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:58 pm

Your good to go, as long as it wasn't transferred as RIFLE

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:30 pm

spikedzombies wrote:Your good to go, as long as it wasn't transferred as RIFLE

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Virgin stripped receivers cannot be "rifles", used receivers could potentially be however. With a new unbuilt receiver, even if it was incorrectly marked on the 4473 it's still not a rifle, its an "other" until its assembled.

Just like a shoulder stocked 870 is not a "handgun" even if the 4473 says it is and the FFL even filled out the DOL pistol trasnfer form and mailed it in. It's still a shotgun as defined by Fed and State law. :thumbsup2:

As for the OP, buy a pistol buffer tube or modify a standard carbine buffer tube to mount the SB15 Sig brace on and purchase or build a 7.5"-11.5" barreled upper and assemble them. And you're good to go, as long as it doesnt have an ACTUAL stock on it.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:37 pm

Build away . . . you're good to go.

Like NWRed said, just don't put a rifle stock on it.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:48 pm

Even if the receiver is stocked when you buy it, it is still an other, until it is a complete firearm.

So any lower can become a pistol, it is just never anything until it is complete and you dub it "rifle", "pistol", or "firearm".

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:12 pm

Is there a maximum overall length in WA? I am modding out a PAP M92 AK pistol and am going put a SB47 brace on it. With the brace I think it will exceed 26" but will still be only a 10" barrel. Need clarification if there are any WA statutes that govern this. I think I am good to go under federal law. Please advise.

Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:14 pm

Nice gun Nitefire1.

Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:38 pm

PeteXCzech wrote:Is there a maximum overall length in WA? I am modding out a PAP M92 AK pistol and am going put a SB47 brace on it. With the brace I think it will exceed 26" but will still be only a 10" barrel. Need clarification if there are any WA statutes that govern this. I think I am good to go under federal law. Please advise.

No maximum oal

Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:08 pm

Pistol's by State definition have a barrel of less than 16" or are designed to be fired with one hand.
With the sig brace on there you could put a 24" barrel on it and still be good.

Re: pistol/rifle/other
Pretty sure Thompson v US makes the use of any lower viable for use. It just has to be complete as that one designation at any given time. You can't use a pistol upper at the same time you use a lower configured as a rifle... As this would make an SBR.
Only hang up to this is if the lower is physically marked as a Pistol.

If you were to use a 16" barrel... It would never matter, as that would be legal in any configuration.

Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:08 pm

MadPick wrote:. . . just don't put a rifle stock on it.

Or a vertical foregrip.
:cheers2:

Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:49 pm

Don't worry, no stock or forward vertical hand grip. That was something I already knew, just needed to check on OAL. Not even sure I would put the Magpul Angled Fore Grip on it, as that is still considered legal.

Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:11 am

Newb question, but what if I buy a stripped lower in a private sale. What is that classified as? Can I do whatever I want with it, or does it matter what the original owner bought it as? Just curious. Thanks all.

Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:23 pm

DocNugent wrote:
MadPick wrote:. . . just don't put a rifle stock on it.

Or a vertical foregrip.
:cheers2:

It's legal to if the OAL is +26".

Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:25 pm

Beer Hounds wrote:Newb question, but what if I buy a stripped lower in a private sale. What is that classified as? Can I do whatever I want with it, or does it matter what the original owner bought it as? Just curious. Thanks all.

Whatever the previous owner barreled it as.

A lower is an other until it has a barreled action. Once you barrel it, it becomes whatever you made.

Post a reply