Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:01 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Where can I find I594 & I591 information? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
A while back, in a different thread...

ANZAC wrote:
You're not providing any credible evidence of how this is going to lead to something that will infringe on our rights. I am with you if it does,

While this was talking about the Arms Treaty, the premise of infringement hasn't changed. Infringement has been proven and an excuse of "...Well the courts will have to find a way..." doesn't change the fact that the initiative, as written, is a big fat infringement on a very specific demographic.

Elderly and Minorities.

Let me explain.

In order for a transfer to take place the buyer and seller need to go through an FFL.
Elderly people may not have the physical ability to travel to an FFL in order to make a transfer.
A disproportionate number of minorities receive public assistance and may also not have the ability to travel to an FFL.

Elderly people may not have the ID necessary to complete a transaction through an FFL.
Minorities may not have the ID necessary to complete a transaction via FFL (because as stated, dosproportionately on public assistance and may not have the income or documents necessary to get an ID)

594 makes no mention of a maximum fee dealers can charge for these transactions, but even if it is $25 (Which is relatively normal at this point)
Elderly people who are not working and live on a fixed income may not be able to afford the $25 transfer fee. Not to mention the additional "use tax" that would be imposed.
Minorities (remember, disproportionate public assistance) may not have the ability to afford the $25 fee and associated "use tax"

Therefore, one must conclude that because of the travel, ID requirements, and fees associated with 594, the initiative disproportionately targets the elderly and minorities, therefore making it difficult or impossible to legally purchase a firearm, this infringing on their rights. You can't exercise a right to bear arms if you can't legally purchase one.

So 594 DIRECTLY infringes on the rights of the elderly and minorities.

If the response is, "Well, it won't infringe on all elderly or minorities, so it's ok"

Then is it ok to infringe on some peoples rights as long as it doesn't infringe on everyone's rights?

If the response is, "That's something the courts will have to decide"

Then were the Jim Crow laws acceptable while the courts figured it out? How many years of Jim Crow were "acceptable?"

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:03 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

General Nonsense wrote:
. . . In order for a transfer to take place the buyer and seller need to go through an FFL.
Elderly people may not have the physical ability to travel to an FFL in order to make a transfer.
A disproportionate number of minorities receive public assistance and may also not have the ability to travel to an FFL.

Elderly people may not have the ID necessary to complete a transaction through an FFL.
Minorities may not have the ID necessary to complete a transaction via FFL (because as stated, dosproportionately on public assistance and may not have the income or documents necessary to get an ID)

594 makes no mention of a maximum fee dealers can charge for these transactions, but even if it is $25 (Which is relatively normal at this point)
Elderly people who are not working and live on a fixed income may not be able to afford the $25 transfer fee. Not to mention the additional "use tax" that would be imposed.
Minorities (remember, disproportionate public assistance) may not have the ability to afford the $25 fee and associated "use tax"

Therefore, one must conclude that because of the travel, ID requirements, and fees associated with 594, the initiative disproportionately targets the elderly and minorities, therefore making it difficult or impossible to legally purchase a firearm, this infringing on their rights. . . .

Sounds 'just a little' like the arguments against voter ID cards . . . so the Left oughta be in full agreement with you.

Synopsis of Rules for Radicals: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/communism/alinsky.htm
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" - Bob Marley
104th Division Image Timberwolves

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:15 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DocNugent wrote:
Sounds 'just a little' like the arguments against voter ID cards . . . so the Left oughta be in full agreement with you.

No, one is a "right" and the other is "something dangerous omg so scary".

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:

ANZAC wrote:
You're not providing any credible evidence of how this is going to lead to something that will infringe on our rights. I am with you if it does,

While this was talking about the Arms Treaty, the premise of infringement hasn't changed. Infringement has been proven and an excuse of "...Well the courts will have to find a way..." doesn't change the fact that the initiative, as written, is a big fat infringement on a very specific demographic.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

General Nonsense wrote:
[ Not to mention the additional "use tax" that would be imposed.

*Might* be imposed. I got a big shoulder shrug from the DOR.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
General Nonsense wrote:

FFL fees are imposed private taxes. Apple Commission got nailed to the wall for it.

End of file.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
General Nonsense wrote:

Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DSynger wrote:
ANZAC wrote:
General Nonsense wrote:

So if you can't think of a good counter argument, that's what you post? Brilliant.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
DSynger wrote:
ANZAC wrote:
General Nonsense wrote:

So if you can't think of a good counter argument, that's what you post? Brilliant.

What does it matter? After strong counter arguments on 594 infringing on gun rights and more vague language than 591, you're still going to support 594 but not 591. It would be one thing if you were consistent. This discussion is tired and stale. I commend the others on continuing the debate, but I accept that it's fruitless.

:beatdeadhorse5:

Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DSynger wrote:
What does it matter? After strong counter arguments on 594 infringing on gun rights and more vague language than 591, you're still going to support 594 but not 591. It would be one thing if you were consistent. This discussion is tired and stale. I commend the others on continuing the debate, but I accept that it's fruitless.

:beatdeadhorse5:

I agree with you that it is fruitless, although I believe I've been very consistent, even if you don't agree with my reasoning. And who cares what I think or what I support? I'm just one person. And I don't think I've changed anyone's position here.

A larger group of people than are on this forum will decide the outcome, the voters of WA.

If 594 passes and 591 fails, I'll be interested to see how the classifieds/rules change here. Would someone asking to see a good guy card be seen as implying they don't want to go to an FFL? Would any suggestion of avoiding a FFL be verboten?

Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:42 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

ANZAC wrote:
DSynger wrote:

If 594 passes and 591 fails, I'll be interested to see how the classifieds/rules change here. Would someone asking to see a good guy card be seen as implying they don't want to go to an FFL? Would any suggestion of avoiding a FFL be verboten?

There will have to be some small changes, no doubt. Regardless though, the CoC States that " All WaGuns users are expected to comply with all local, state and federal laws when posting on the site...."

Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:34 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
ANZAC wrote:
DSynger wrote:

There will have to be some small changes, no doubt. Regardless though, the CoC States that " All WaGuns users are expected to comply with all local, state and federal laws when posting on the site...."

Perhaps we should add a legal section for adoptions.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:

ANZAC wrote:

Would love to see a response to this...

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:

icon_eek

Wow...that's the real mic drop, right there.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
General Nonsense wrote:

Yeah might be imposed my ass do you really think this state isnt going to jump at the chance to add another tax to line thier pockets, for a quick lesson look at this states liquor sales and the taxes on that, you have the state tax(wasnt that supposed to go away a year ago?) Which they tax you per liter then when you get to the checkout counter and go to pay for your items you have to pay sales tax ontop of the booze tax because yanno the states gotta get its money too... oh wait isnt being double taxed illegal in this state?...

Albert Einstein

Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next