Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:23 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Handgunlaw.us Seeking Assistance on Long Guns in Vehicles 

www.handgunlaw.us is seeking assistance in cataloging all the states laws/regs on keeping a long gun in a vehicle all the time. Due to what is happening in the world and here at home I am seeing the question more and more about carrying a long gun in a vehicle all the time. What just happened in Canada got me 5 emails on the day it happened and at least one every days since about Long Guns in Vehicles. Loaded/Unloaded. Cased/Uncased. Trunk or back of vehicle or anywhere in the vehicle or not allowed etc etc. Information people would need to stay within the law in their state or a state they travel to with a long gun in their vehicle. Sad to say but it is us good guys/gals that only obey the law but we have to know what they are to stay within them.

All this info will be assembled and put into one document for all the states. It will be available free for anyone who wishes to view the information. There is no more knowledgeable people to ask than those who live and use firearms in their home state is the reason I am asking this on a lot of different state specific Firearm Forums.

The laws/Administrative Rules Laws on Long Guns can be almost non-existent or spelled out completely. Many times they can be found in the hunting laws. If you could assist Handgunlaw.us with the alpha/numeric code for a state statute or Administrative Rule or a link to the states hunting laws that spell out the states stance on carrying long guns in vehicles it would be greatly appreciated. I have to have something official from a state agency. I would appreciate an email with the info sent to admins@handgunlaw.us as I can miss PM’s etc if possible.

This will takes a few months to gather all this info and catalog it as I have to check everything out. I will post a link to the finished document on every Firearm Forum that I post this request on. That link will also be added to www.handgunlaw.us Thank you for your time and assistance. Handgunlaw.us is what it is because of all the assistance I get from those who give me a heads up on law changes and help me in so many different ways to keep Handgunlaw.us up to date.

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.15.460

Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cmica wrote:
http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.15.460

What's both interesting and stupid, all at the same time, is that this firearm regulation is buried in the Fish and Wildlife reg's, not under the RCW "Title" covering Firearms.

FWIW, one can carry a handgun in a vehicle loaded with as many rounds as they can stuff in a magazine yet can't even have a loaded magazine "attached" to the rifle in any way, even if not inserted in the mag-well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it worth mentioning the no-carry-while-riding-a-snowmobile thing? I'm not sure that would be a normal restriction for people to think about, and if the RCW is buried in the DFW section then it's likely to be missed. Sorry, I don't have the link handy.

Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mislabeled wrote:
Is it worth mentioning the no-carry-while-riding-a-snowmobile thing? I'm not sure that would be a normal restriction for people to think about, and if the RCW is buried in the DFW section then it's likely to be missed. Sorry, I don't have the link handy.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.10.495

Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cmica wrote:
mislabeled wrote:

http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.10.495

Booyah! That's what I'm talkin' about. @cmica - thanks for posting that.

Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CPL holders not exempted from that?

Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:10 am

Things have been going much better than I ever imagined. Thanks to everyone who has given me feedback. It has really helped! This is all still in draft form. I will say that I caused some lively debate on some state forums. Information was exchanged and laws discussed and in some cases there was no clear answer. Some depended on what the definition of “IS” is! Had to throw that “Is” in there as some laws are so hard to understand and even read. It just showed how out of touch some lawmakers are/were when writing gun laws.

I have reworked the first page trying to explain that people need to look at Places off Limits etc on each States Page at www.handgunlaw.us. Plus other information they need to be aware of. I have also made the states name on each section a link to that States Page at Handgunlaw.us so they can access it easily.

The states I have information for still need looked at by others and feedback on what may need added or removed would be greatly appreciated. The biggest problem is that if there is no law against something it is legal. Laws are so varied and spread out in the Statutes/Administrative Rules and Hunting Regulations it can be tough to find some of them. Then if there is not a law against it you can search forever and there is nothing to find. I have been cautious on some state entries. I just don’t have enough information and don’t want to get someone arrested and maybe lose their gun rights. That is where your feedback can assist me. Then we get to the Catch 22 again as there may be no law against it so you can’t show a statute/Rule Etc that states it is legal!

Below is a link to the latest Draft. Again feedback is most welcome! This is the same link to the first Draft Document. I just updated it. Thanks again to everyone who has assisted me. It is very much appreciated!
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/Long ... cument.pdf

Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:15 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mods can we merge this??

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=47863

Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:37 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

cmica wrote:

Good suggestion, done. And thanks for the link. thumbsup

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you considered turning this into an app for smart phones?

Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:43 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:

No, they are not.

"For I have always lived violently, drunk hugely, eaten too much or not at all, slept around the clock or missed two nights of sleeping, worked too hard and too long in glory, or slobbed for a time in utter laziness. I’ve lifted, pulled, chopped, climbed, made love with joy and taken my hangovers as a consequence, not as a punishment."
-- John Steinbeck
"Experience is one thing you can't get for nothing."
-- Oscar Wilde
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
-- Marcus Aurelius
"Now I'm off to check out Drew's dick."
-- MadPick

Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:01 pm

There will not be an app. To expensive to create then keeping it updated.

Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:02 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gary - Thanks for all the work you do on this, I reference your site frequently and it's been tremendously helpful.

:cheers2:

Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bhpdrew wrote:
ANZAC wrote:

No, they are not.

Part of the reason it should be a CWP instead of CPL.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next