Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:09 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Do we really need background checks? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Urban X wrote:
I get delayed every time as well. No green card, no felonies, and a very uncommon name.

They probably assume that you're related to Malcolm, and that triggers further investigation.

Haha!

Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:35 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

ironworker78 wrote:
Old/yes
Young/yes
Ex-felon/yes
Child molester/kill them
Mentally ill/case by case(by mentally ill I assume you mean anyone that would vote for 594)

Yep. Wisdom right there.

Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Huh.... so a felon can lose the right to guns, and to vote..........
Anything else?

Just where is this specified anyways?

From a blog: Political Correctness - the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Benjamin Franklin: It is the (civic) responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:02 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

danoh wrote:
Huh.... so a felon can lose the right to guns, and to vote..........
Anything else?

Just where is this specified anyways?

I am not sure which part you are referring to Sir Danoh.

I was agreeing with IronMan in that I believe that as a Natural Right, the ONLY time We The People have a right to disarm another human being is when we have either decided that they don't belong in free society anymore, or we have disarmed for their own and public safety. If we only disarm them to keep society safe, what a complete ***ing waste of time, money and effort.

I have said it before, but I consider myself to be a poor, unfortunate and misunderstood waif so I'll try it again.

If The People feel someone is too dangerous to exercise their NATURAL ***ING RIGHT then by g**damn THE PEOPLE OUGHT TO PROTECT THAT PERSON BY INCARCERATION.

Sorry, caps got stuck on.

NEVER EVER EVER PREVENT A HUMAN BEING FROM EXERCISING THAT NATURAL RIGHT TO SELF DEFENSE UNLESS WE'RE READY TO SUPPLY THAT PROTECTION FOR THEM.

If a felon is deemed fit to be in free society, then he's a free man again. If we as a society are letting out douche bags who cannot be trusted in free society, then we have failed to properly educate them during their incarceration. Perhaps Mike's sensible suggestion of short drops and sudden stops for suitably short necks in need of slight lengthening deserves some attention. Those felons more deserving of rope burns shouldn't be let out in the first place? Life in prison without parole?
Mr Mash may have some valuable insights in this topic. I hope he'll chime in and give us an insider's viewpoint.

It looks to me like our society's failure to make proper judgements on when or if a recalcitrant fellow should be allowed back in to free society might be the bigger problem with recidivism.

Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
CurtisLemansky wrote:
rayjax82 wrote:
I thought it was 5 days. But I've never bought a pistol without a CPL.

I think you're right, it's been a few years. Either way... you have to wait!

Yeah it is 5 days for a handgun without a CPL and 594 doesn't touch that.

I don't think this is correct. From what I have read they don't have an official minimum waiting period. They have to wait for the results of the state background check. They previously had 5 days to conduct the check before the dealer was allowed to transfer the gun without receiving the results. 594 would make that wait 10 days. So this very well can affect many people buying handguns without a CPL. We all know how fast the government works. How long does it take some of us to get a CPL renewed in snohomish county?

Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How does this minimum/max wait coincide with the Sheriff signing off? I mean, what happens if he doesn't get to it, or even worse, doesn't for whatever reason validate in difference to what we know now as standard non compliance (felony).

I guess what I'm asking is if there is a strict line of rule that is followed equally for all, or is one to be judged by a man differently than another? If that makes sense?

Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:

How far back does a felon losing their 2A rights go?

Until they get them restored by a Court. Simple enough.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RENCORP wrote:

Explain that shit, willya ?

You're Canadian. What's to explain? :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
RENCORP wrote:

Explain that shit, willya ?

You're Canadian. What's to explain? :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Funny thing is, I know more about American history, and have more respect for the Constitution and the Bill of Rights than most Americans.

Actually, I am a better American than Canadian when it comes right down to it.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:

How far back does a felon losing their 2A rights go?

1920's California IIRC. Unsurprisingly, it was rooted in racism and classism.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Soldier_Citizen wrote:
MadPick wrote:
TINCANBANDIT wrote:
The RKBA is a God given, Constitutional right, no different than free speech or the right to petition the Government.

We don't need permission to engage in other rights, why is this one different?

Crime has been with us since we created society, writing more and more laws has done NOTHING to change that

Do you believe that everyone who's not in prison should be able to own a gun, then? Young, old? Ex-felon, ex-child molester? Mentally ill?

It's a serious question. Would you draw the legal line anywhere?

That's the thing, the whole no guns for felons is a relatively new thing, back In the day any "bad guy" who deserved it got a short drop and a sudden stop. If we still imposed punishment like that we would have very few repeat offenders.

And what do you mean by mentally ill, because people who take meds for depression would fall under this if some people had their way, also included would be those with PTSD, veterans, medics, emts, cops and other first responders

Bingo.

Mental illness has a stigma. Its not necessarily a lifetime of instability running half cocked to murder someone at any given second like left liberals(and right conservatives for that matter) like to pretend.

Depression, anxiety, PTSD(which isn't exclusive to vets and first responders, btw.) are all mental illnesses. They all have a stigma attached to them that if you have had a mental illness in the past you are a broken person, and as such people often don't seek the treatment they need as they don't want that stigma attached to them.

Shit if you have a broken leg you head your happy ass down to the doctor and get that shit fixed. Having a mental problem is no different.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Election Day bump. :)

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

platz wrote:
ANZAC wrote:
CurtisLemansky wrote:
rayjax82 wrote:
I thought it was 5 days. But I've never bought a pistol without a CPL.

I think you're right, it's been a few years. Either way... you have to wait!

Yeah it is 5 days for a handgun without a CPL and 594 doesn't touch that.

I don't think this is correct. From what I have read they don't have an official minimum waiting period. They have to wait for the results of the state background check. They previously had 5 days to conduct the check before the dealer was allowed to transfer the gun without receiving the results. 594 would make that wait 10 days. So this very well can affect many people buying handguns without a CPL. We all know how fast the government works. How long does it take some of us to get a CPL renewed in snohomish county?

The mandatory Brady wait (if you don't have a CPL) on a handgun is untouched. You are correct the maximum wait time is extended if there is no response on the background check.

Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
The mandatory Brady wait (if you don't have a CPL) on a handgun is untouched. You are correct the maximum wait time is extended if there is no response on the background check.

So it makes it into a de-facto minimum wait time in certain municipalities or counties who are either uninterested in being timely in regards to firearms, or they are simply swamped.

A right delayed...?

Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3