Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 California AG's motion to intervene in Peruta case denied 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals has denied motions for intervention by the CA AG as well as the Brady people. There's discussion about which avenues for appeal may still exist, but for now it sounds like California just became shall issue.

I wouldn't normally link to a FOX news story but this is the link provided by Calguns, presumably until they can put up their own synopsis --
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/11/12/new-court-decision-likely-ends-california-restrictions-on-conceal-carry-permits/

Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mislabeled wrote:
The 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals has denied motions for intervention by the CA AG as well as the Brady people. There's discussion about which avenues for appeal may still exist, but for now it sounds like California just became shall issue.

I wouldn't normally link to a FOX news story but this is the link provided by Calguns, presumably until they can put up their own synopsis --
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/11/12/new-court-decision-likely-ends-california-restrictions-on-conceal-carry-permits/

I'm guessing even with "shall issue", they'll try to resist like Chicago and add enormous fees, time and other bureaucratic nonsense, as well as outright denials for no reason with difficult appeals.

Still going in a better direction though.

Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's far from over! It still can go en banc and back to the Supreme Court - which seems to be what the lawyers want - to put it to rest once and for all.

Now, even if/when this passes, this crappy state's sheriff's still have Good Moral Character to use as their excuse to deny permits...

then, we have to start all over suing for that! :(

So long from over......... :frust:

Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:33 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is good progress. thumbsup

Quote:
Brandon Combs, executive director of the pro-Second Amendment Calguns Foundation, which represented the plaintiff in the Yolo County case....

YOLO County? Is that for real? :ROFLMAO:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:

Quote:
Brandon Combs, executive director of the pro-Second Amendment Calguns Foundation, which represented the plaintiff in the Yolo County case....

The county seat is Swag City

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yolo_County,_California

Quote:
In the original act of 1850 the name was spelled "Yola." Yolo is a Native American name variously believed to be a corruption of a tribal name Yo-loy meaning "a place abounding in rushes" or of the name of the chief, Yodo, or of the village of Yodoi.

I'm just excited to know that the pendulum is swinging back in CA. Gives me hope about the mess we're in.

Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Michael_Js wrote:
It's far from over! It still can go en banc and back to the Supreme Court - which seems to be what the lawyers want - to put it to rest once and for all.

Now, even if/when this passes, this crappy state's sheriff's still have Good Moral Character to use as their excuse to deny permits...

then, we have to start all over suing for that! :(

So long from over......... :frust:

I didn't mean to imply everything was happy bunnies, I'm sure there are still other developments that could change the flavor of things. However, there is a statement made by an an individual on the Calguns forum (who says he's counsel for Baker v Kealoha -- another case that's working its way through the 9th) that seems to plainly say that Peruta will be the law of the land in 7 days. Link to his statement is here -- http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=15244891&postcount=11

Let's hope that's accurate and that those in CA can start exercising their right to carry.

Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:41 pm

Good for all California gun owners, hoping it goes off as intended .

............................... Jack

Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:22 pm

Anytime a Demorat politician is denied what it wants by a court or by judges, crap....anytime in general, its a good thing.

Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:17 pm

first california, now DC. both were believed impossible.

Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
The law would still not allow felons or the mentally ill to possess firearms

Wouldn't just living in California somewhat brand one as "mentally ill"? :bigsmile:

Then again, maybe some are just "prisoners of war".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Update: The Ninth Circuit has just ordered an en banc rehearing of the Peruta case and they've also said they will reconsider the CA AG's motion (and presumably also the Brady group's motion) to intervene. Oral arguments are currently scheduled to occur during the week of Jun 15, 2015.

Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]