Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:42 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Use of suppressors illegal in Kirkland? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"or who uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm, is guilty of a misdemeanor."

http://www.codepublishing.com/wa/kirkla ... #11.41.055

Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How cute. A law on the books that is voided through state preemption on firearms. Tell them to go fuck themselves.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:12 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, it sounds like it . . . .

Kirkland needs to get that shit straight. State pre-emption trumps that city law.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kirkland Municipal eat this!

Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:35 pm

Well shit, I live in Kirkland.
I do not have any suppressors on my guns.

Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Well, it sounds like it . . . .

Kirkland needs to get that shit straight. State pre-emption trumps that city law.

So.... the carve out in preemption for cities is as follows:

rcw 9.41.300 wrote:
(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:

(a) Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized. Such laws and ordinances shall not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by Article I, section 24 of the state Constitution to bear arms in defense of self or others; and

It is interesting that the Kirkland code mentions USE of the suppressor, not possession. If you look at .300 it clearly talks about places (i.e. no shooting zones). Saying you can't discharge a certain type of device seems to be outside that allowance.

Someone (preferably who lives in Kirkland) should take a run at this with a letter to the city attorney.
Is Interlake Sporting Assoc within the Kirkland city limits? I could see a great argument for members there to challenge this, in case we can't find someone who lives there. Not a requirement, but I always think someone who is impacted by the code is a better candidate to make the case.

I just came across this while looking at something else. I don't have a suppressor, yet.

Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's probably a relic back from the time prior to preemption. I've seen that same boilerplate in other city laws. Make like most civilized people are planning to do with 594 and ignore it.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
It's probably a relic back from the time prior to preemption. I've seen that same boilerplate in other city laws. Make like most civilized people are planning to do with 594 and ignore it.

I don't think it should be ignored.

Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welllll...I am a member at Interlake and this is some interesting stuff. With that said...if I recall correctly, the range is technically part of Redmond, even though the address says Kirkland.

And...yes, I know several members (myself included) who own/shoot suppressors at Interlake.

Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
kf7mjf wrote:

What? The law that tramples the rights of law abiding citizens and or the one about suppressors?

Either way, Kirkland's is unenforceable, and per state preemption law automatically void.

Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:18 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

ANZAC wrote:

It is interesting that the Kirkland code mentions USE of the suppressor, not possession.

It's just mirroring old state RCW. The old RCW never prohibited the possession of suppressors, you just couldn't shoot em! A quick letter to the City Atty saying they should update that portion of their code to match the revised RCW is all it takes.

Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:24 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
ANZAC wrote:
kf7mjf wrote:

What? The law that tramples the rights of law abiding citizens and or the one about suppressors?

Either way, Kirkland's is unenforceable, and per state preemption law automatically void.

You just have to understand ANZAC's penchant for picking fly shit out of ground pepper. The rest of us know it's an unenforceable law, even Kirkland, but apparently ANZAC needs something else to 'promote' now that the election is over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@deadshot

Dude...shhhh!
Let them argue. It might be entertaining to watch, and it will keep them out of other threads for a little while.

:Admin: - This post should not be construed as inflammatory, or suggestive of feeding trolls. :wink05:

Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I confirmed - ISA is part of Redmond, not Kirkland.

Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:19 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Benja455 wrote:
I confirmed - ISA is part of Redmond, not Kirkland.

OK, you're fine then.

http://www.codepublishing.com/WA/Redmon ... l#9.24.025

Redmond Numbnuts wrote:
9.24.025 Dangerous weapons — Use, possession, concealing, sales, manufacture.

(a) It is unlawful for a person knowingly to:

(1) Manufacture, sell, possess, purchase or carry any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as a blackjack, slingshot, sand-club, metal knuckles, chako sticks, nunchuka, throwing stars, clubs or other similar instruments which are designed or constructed to inflict bodily injury or property damage;

(2) Manufacture, sell, possess, purchase or carry any spring blade knife, balisong knife or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;

(3) Furtively carry with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol or other dangerous weapon; or

(4) Use any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next