Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:12 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Buffalo, NY shows us what 594 will do to widows 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

edogg wrote:
I wonder...maybe an unsigned letter to the DOL which says "My dearly departed friend/uncle/cousin left me a firearm. I intend to retain this firearm in compliance with all federal and state laws." would suffice.

You've met the burden of the law by notifying the state. And you've protected your privacy. From the quoted portion of 594, there is nothing which says to fill out a particular form or provide any specifics of the inheritance.

And of course, keep a copy of the letter for your own records.

Considering that the filing of the pistol form is only referenced under the dealer section of the RCWs, and the updated 594-inspired code specifically exempts inheritances from needing to go through a dealer, then I don't know if they could require anything more than what you've suggested. Can they imply that they want you to fill out the form? Sure. But the language doesn't appear to mandate it.

IANAL and all the other normal caveats...

Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mislabeled wrote:
edogg wrote:
I wonder...maybe an unsigned letter to the DOL which says "My dearly departed friend/uncle/cousin left me a firearm. I intend to retain this firearm in compliance with all federal and state laws." would suffice.

You've met the burden of the law by notifying the state. And you've protected your privacy. From the quoted portion of 594, there is nothing which says to fill out a particular form or provide any specifics of the inheritance.

And of course, keep a copy of the letter for your own records.

Considering that the filing of the pistol form is only referenced under the dealer section of the RCWs, and the updated 594-inspired code specifically exempts inheritances from needing to go through a dealer, then I don't know if they could require anything more than what you've suggested. Can they imply that they want you to fill out the form? Sure. But the language doesn't appear to mandate it.

IANAL and all the other normal caveats...

I did think the same thing, I think they "meant" to notify as per the piece of the procedure that is mandatory at a dealer (the form).
But agreed they didn't word it that way.

Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:07 pm

edogg, maybe you could get away with a note to DOL letting them know that you have passed on and took your guns with you, so don't bother to look for them.

........................................ Jack

Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
Alpine wrote:
"Big ones," isn't that nice? They'll only save the "little ones" for when they are bored, have a slow month or don't like someone right?

He meant "serious offences".

Quote:
Did you ask them what would stop them from trolling county death records for deaths from several months past, double checking it with their state LEO pistol registry for pistol owners who owned 2 or more and then calling DOL to check on if the family called in that time?

OK, their overtime budget has been slashed and everyone from special ops, TAC-30, even their media relations officer are on patrol redeployment for several weeks at a time. The answer is going to be "we don't have time to do that".

Quote:
Over the holidays I will be asking several friends from KCSO and local PDs their views on this and I'll report them come January.

My prediction they'll say it won't change much for them. Unless you talk to SPD. They'll be doing sting ops directed by the mayor.

So I've spoken with several acquaintences and friends with KCSO, SPD, and MIPD.

MIPD has no plans at the moment to pursue death-checks after 61 days and have not discussed it at all.

At SPD apparently there have been several discussions about doing this, notably from the same command staff that were in favor of the absurd "Seattle buyback" but SPD is apparently worried about a possible public relations backlash and I quote my source "because most people had no idea about the inheritance registration provisions of 594." My source also tells me that Pete Holmes has personally advised them NOT to do it until "all litigation surrounding 594 is over." Gee, now I wonder why THAT would be... :shush:

At KCSO there is a particular, shall we say, anti-gun Captain who is suggesting that King County team up with Seattle or just go on their own and hire an IT consultant to create a linked online database between DOL's pistol registry and county death records so that whenever police get called to any address it will automatically check to see if there were deceased persons' pistols that were not re-registered in time. His suggestion was to pursue it as a "secondary investigation" much the way that driving with your cellphone started out before it became a primary offense for being pulled over. Now, who wants to guess how long this would stay as a 'secondary offense'?

So yeah, in some ways, this is worse than we imagined. Thanks to technology it is going to be very easy for police to link death records with the pistol registry then as they pass houses driving down the street their computers will literally tell them where to stop and arrest people.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SPD reaction doesn't surprise me.

I think the KCSO guy is wrong, I don't think they can get access to the pistol registry programmatically. And failing that, I need to double check, but I am not sure they can even search by address if they came up with a patrol policy. You'll have to PM me the Captain's name.... I'm curious now, I've not met any anti-gun officers there.

MIPD have no bandwidth to do anything with anything.

Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some press releases about Inslee's coattail "executive action." Take a look at this:
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new ... un-buyers/
Quote:
To strengthen the background-check law approved by voters in 2014, Inslee directed the state Office of Financial Management to analyze how information is shared among state agencies, courts, local jurisdictions, law enforcement and other entities to make improvements to the system.

Lets see, one government agency handles deaths, another handles pistol permits. I know! Lets have them "share" information... :frust:

What did King County Sheriff Urquhart have to say about this idea?

Quote:
King County Sheriff John Urquhart called Inslee’s approach “measured and comprehensive.”

Guess we'll see which law enforcement agency goes for it first eh? My guess is the task force will "come up" with enforcing the inheritance registration provision of 594 possibly even before SAF's appeal process is completed given the lib hype and "inertia."

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7