Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:01 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Things other than guns that are defined as a "firearm" 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
This is freaking hilarious, because 594 is about to cause trouble in the construction trades now too. Hell, any projectile signal flare is suddenly gonna be impossible to transfer. You really think the ATF is going to want to be bothered by a background check on a handheld flare?

As stated above. My dad has a boat. I think I'm gonna buy him some signal flares for Christmas. Oh wait...

Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes I was agreeing with you.

I still think it's fucking funny, because it's one more blow against it when it gets challenged.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I should go pay a visit to West Marine and talk to their manager.

Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Every fishing boat and construction jobsite with ex cons or people with DV convictions are gonna have possible problems

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Heh. Fishing boats would NEVER employ anybody with a spotty criminal background. [/sarcasm]

Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sitting in a jail cell, one dude looks at the new guy. "I killed a man with my bare hands. What you in for?" "Skipper sent me to West Marine to buy some parachute flares and I was popped for violating my parole. "

Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guess its time for me to build that coil gun I've always wanted to make. Do it right and you could potentially get a device that fires a lethal projectile without any silly 'explosion'.

Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I stopped by West Marine in Ballard today, and had a chat with the gentleman at the register about their flare guns. He was initially resistant to the idea that they would be covered by 594, arguing that they were federally not defined as a firearm, but I pointed out that the RCW definition does my exclude safety and signaling devices. He seemed genuinely concerned about ensuring that his store remained legally compliant, and went to talk to the manager about the issue. The more people we can reach, to show them that this will directly affect them in every day life, the better our chances of getting it turned over...

Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
This is freaking hilarious, because 594 is about to cause trouble in the construction trades now too. Hell, any projectile signal flare is suddenly gonna be impossible to transfer. You really think the ATF is going to want to be bothered by a background check on a handheld flare?
No problem at all, I am sure all the illegals and felons working construction should easily pass UBCs.

Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:30 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have a contact at West Marine corporate and I'd be happy to alert her to this . . . but I want to make sure I have my story straight before I do so.

I understand the concern. The RCW defines a firearm as:
RCW 9.41.010 wrote:
(9) "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder.

This definition is existing, and is not changed by 594.

This would include flare guns, since they use gunpowder to launch the flare . . . correct?

Initiative 594 now requires that the transfer of any firearm include a background check, so it would appear that any transfer of a flare gun would require a background check.

So, help me out with one thing. Why is it that flare guns are NOT regulated at the federal level today? Where is the exception that controls this?

I see that a signaling device (flare gun) is not a destructive device . . . but what makes it not a firearm? Here's the federal definition that I found:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/921

Help please...

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Emergency and signaling devices are excluded by the federal definition. I'd have to look it up to give the exact language.

Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:54 pm

cycle61 wrote:
Emergency and signaling devices are excluded by the federal definition. I'd have to look it up to give the exact language.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/921

Quote:
The term “destructive device” shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device

Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:09 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, I saw the exclusion for destructive devices. But what makes a flare gun NOT an ordinary firearm?

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:40 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

MadPick wrote:
Yes, I saw the exclusion for destructive devices. But what makes a flare gun NOT an ordinary firearm?

It's not a firearm. But because of 594, it's a device who's operation becomes defined as an object that needs a UBC.

Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:18 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Massivedesign wrote:
MadPick wrote:

It's not a firearm. But because of 594, it's a device who's operation becomes defined as an object that needs a UBC.

It's not a firearm as you and I define it. However, it IS a firearm under Washington state law, and now under 594 it appears to require a background check for all transfers.

Let me ask two questions:

1) Why are we able to go to the store and buy flare guns now (pre-594) without a background check?

2) ^ Probably related to that question ... why don't the Feds control flare guns as firearms? For example, presumably I can order one online and have it shipped across state lines...?

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next