Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:49 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 concealed Pistol License & school grounds? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I received my OR Concealed carry license it said I was able to carry on school grounds. Does anyone know it you can carry on school grounds in WA with a WA CPL, reason I am wondering is my officials group meets in a school on Sundays until April & I don't like leaving my gun in the car. (still on school grounds but )

Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nope. Only when directly picking up or dropping off a student. Can't even have it on school property outside of those circumstances.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There used to be an exemption for those functions but a few years ago they changed that.

So, no you are out of luck now in Washington. No carry on school grounds.

The pick up and drop off really refers to just picking up and dropping off from your car.
It does not mean going into the school building to pick up or drop off.

Yes, Oregon like so many other states all differ in what, where and how you can carry.

In some states you can go into a bar... in Washington you can't go past that 21 and over line (if there is a line in a restaurant/bar).

Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/ ... lyxml.html

Elizabeth Scott said she also planned to co-sponsor a bill to allow people with concealed-pistol permits to carry weapons on school grounds, in hopes of deterring a shooting....

Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:26 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Up thru high schools anyway i think community (at least SPSCC) is a go for conceal carry???

Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can have the firearm locked and out of view in the vehicle with you not in it.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.280

Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Community colleges are different. I'm not allowed to carry at Olympic College, nor even have in my vehicle. I'm pretty darn sure I -CAN- legally, but that whole might get expelled thing..
I do need to brush up on this, don't I.

Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always carry in a bar, I never saw that one but then I never go to a bar to drink, only to eat, prices to drink alcohol are much to high and I have gotten to old to chase happy hour & specials. I really hate liberal state laws like WA and I won't enter or buy from CA or any of the other enemy states in the NE. It was the blue against the gray now it is the American Republic -vs- the liberal dictator demoncrat states. I need to get a actual book on WA gun laws and an attorney, any good gun attorneys in Tacoma?

Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

concealed is.........concealed?

lol
:D

Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:
The pick up and drop off really refers to just picking up and dropping off from your car.
It does not mean going into the school building to pick up or drop off.

FYI - I use to walk my daughter to the door while Open Carrying and pick her up at High School.

RCW 9.41.280
Possessing dangerous weapons on school facilities—Penalty—Exceptions. (Effective until April 1, 2016.)

(1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools:
3(e) Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a student;

RCW 9.41.280
Possessing dangerous weapons on school facilities—Penalty—Exceptions. (Effective April 1, 2016.)

(1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools:

3(e) Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a student;

Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Remember, in buildings is not allowed:

(6) Except as provided in subsection (3)(b), (c), (f), and (h) of this section, firearms are not permitted in a public or private school building.

Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nitefire1 wrote:
I always carry in a bar, I never saw that one but then I never go to a bar to drink, only to eat, prices to drink alcohol are much to high and I have gotten to old to chase happy hour & specials.

The bar thing is asinine. Sitting in the bar at Red Robin because I would prefer to avoid the screaming 10-year-olds in the general admission section shouldn't preclude me from being armed, especially when I'm not drinking (which I'm not). Oregon has this one figured out. A CPL or a not-drinking exemption would tickle me to no end.

Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mislabeled wrote:
nitefire1 wrote:
I always carry in a bar, I never saw that one but then I never go to a bar to drink, only to eat, prices to drink alcohol are much to high and I have gotten to old to chase happy hour & specials.

The bar thing is asinine. Sitting in the bar at Red Robin because I would prefer to avoid the screaming 10-year-olds in the general admission section shouldn't preclude me from being armed, especially when I'm not drinking (which I'm not). Oregon has this one figured out. A CPL or a not-drinking exemption would tickle me to no end.

:plusone:

Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mislabeled wrote:
nitefire1 wrote:

A friend and I went to meet his girlfriend and her friend at the Cheesecake Factory once, and sure enough they were both sitting in the bar, and the hostess couldn't figure out why we asked for a different table away from the bar...

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
A friend and I went to meet his girlfriend and her friend at the Cheesecake Factory once, and sure enough they were both sitting in the bar, and the hostess couldn't figure out why we asked for a different table away from the bar...

Waiting for a table in the restaurant section is really annoying when there are tables open in the bar, and the hostesses always seem both baffled and irritated when we decline the bar option.

It's sort of ironic that the Mommies want gun owners nowhere near their children, yet this law in particular basically guarantees we'll be sitting next to the little snowflakes (even if we'd rather avoid them as much as they want to avoid us). There you go, Bloomy, there's your next initiative. Create exemptions in the LCB regs for those who have CPLs or are not drinking. Do it...for the children.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next