Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:42 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 OR Laws 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pondering getting my OR permit, but not sure if it is worth the cost. I go to Portland about once a year for a weekend, and usually at the Veterans Memorial Colliseum. Per OR law, can I carry there? Anyone know where I can find a readers digest version of their carry law?

Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:06 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Here is the easiest place.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/oregon.pdf

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:26 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know several Washingtonians who "Open Carry" in Oregon as their Washington State CPL is just as good as toilet paper.
Some cities in Oregon do not allow open carry so check their city codes beforehand. Also I heard something about your state CPL is good while driving through non-friendly states some "interstate hwy" exemption clause... I'm sure someone with more info can give you the 411.

Last edited by bulldog18 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:31 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thanks

Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:36 pm

I understand that an OR CPL May be no good in some cities

Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:25 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

JMF wrote:
I understand that an OR CPL May be no good in some cities

What city is that in Oregon? Do you have a direct link to this policy, rule or law?

Join the NRA

Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To the best of my knowledge, every city in OR that has legislated its own firearms regulations has also included a list of 14 exemptions, one of which is for CHL holders. (So far, it doesn't appear the list of exemptions has varied at all from one city to the next.) Possession of a CHL effectively negates any city-specific ordinances and puts you solely under the regulations covered in the ORSs.

More complete info can be found here -- http://www.oregonfirearms.org/

Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:42 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

mislabeled wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, every city in OR that has legislated its own firearms regulations has also included a list of 14 exemptions, one of which is for CHL holders. (So far, it doesn't appear the list of exemptions has varied at all from one city to the next.) Possession of a CHL effectively negates any city-specific ordinances and puts you solely under the regulations covered in the ORSs.

More complete info can be found here -- http://www.oregonfirearms.org/

That is my understanding too. And, with a CPL, you and open carry or CC in a bar.

Join the NRA

Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:02 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bulldog18 wrote:
I know several Washingtonians who "Open Carry" in Oregon as their Washington State CPL is just as good as toilet paper.
Some cities in Oregon do not allow open carry so check their city codes before hand. Also I heard something about your state CPL is good while driving through non-friendly states some "interstate hwy" exemption clause... I'm sure someone with more info can give you the 411.

Yes there is a federal transport law, and no your CPL doesn't help (unless in a state where with reciprocity to your WA CPL) and no it can't be loaded:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
Yes there is a federal transport law, and no your CPL doesn't help (unless in a state where with reciprocity to your WA CPL) and no it can't be loaded:

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

That assumes you're traveling through a city that has banned loaded carry. Permitless open carry is legal in Oregon -- outside those dozen or so cities/towns that have expressly banned it -- so as long as you aren't in one of those jurisdictions, then loaded/unloaded isn't an issue.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mislabeled wrote:
ANZAC wrote:

That assumes you're traveling through a city that has banned loaded carry. Permitless open carry is legal in Oregon -- outside those dozen or so cities/towns that have expressly banned it -- so as long as you aren't in one of those jurisdictions, then loaded/unloaded isn't an issue.

Well, he said "non friendly state" (e.g. Texas or California) and mentioned a CPL, which doesn't change the equation. I agree with you that there may be more friendly states and towns along the way. But what federal law covers is really just transport, not loaded carry.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:14 pm

For years I've been under the impression that I needed to be a resident of Oregon to obtain a CCL for Oregon.

Now reading everyone's provided links and the OR DOL website it doesn't appear that is the case.

Am I correct in this?

http://licenseinfo.oregon.gov/?fuseacti ... m_id=14705

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RobertTHunden wrote:
For years I've been under the impression that I needed to be a resident of Oregon to obtain a CCL for Oregon.

Now reading everyone's provided links and the OR DOL website it doesn't appear that is the case.

Am I correct in this?

http://licenseinfo.oregon.gov/?fuseacti ... m_id=14705

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

read the first page then go to the next show (edit) Tacoma Dome Show April 11th & 12th.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=36788&start=210

Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, Applied for my CHL. Assuming I get it in relatively short order, I should be good to go.

According to USACarry (http://www.usacarry.com/oregon_conceale ... ation.html) I will have to have the firearm exposed? That doesn't seem right. I should be able to have it on my hip while driving (if I have a CHL) covered up by my coat or whatever?

Looks like I can carry in bars (although don't plan to) and can carry in the Rose Garden/Memorial colliseum so long as they don't have metal detectors (which they don't for the events when I go).

Any other nuggets that seem relevant if you carry in OR? Don't plan to go to any schools or concerts.

Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OR info:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forum ... 121-Oregon

Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]