Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:18 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 HB 1857 "Gun Violence Restraining Order" in Committee This W 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Email from NRA-ILA

Quote:
Next week, the Washington House Committee on Judiciary is scheduled to consider House Bill 1857. Sponsored by state Representative Laurie Jinkins (D-27), HB 1857 is based on a California law enacted in 2014 which created a “Gun Violence Restraining Order” that an immediate family member or a law enforcement officer (LEO) may obtain based on accusations that an individual poses an immediate and present danger of causing personal injury to self or others. Simply put, HB 1857 would give LEOs, family or “household members” the ability to file a petition for an order to cancel someone else’s Second Amendment rights and to authorize the confiscation of their firearms.

Under current law, people who pose a danger to themselves or others may be dealt with in a number of ways, depending on the circumstances. They can be arrested for a crime and subject to bail conditions or pretrial detention. They can have a restraining order or other protective order issued against them. They can be held for a mental health evaluation and committed to a mental institution. Any of those things can lead to a prohibition on firearm possession under current law. All of them require some type of judicial process, so people are not arbitrarily deprived of their liberty or their rights.

This bill, however, would allow a family or “household member” or police officer to apply for an order that does one thing and one thing only: deprive someone else of his or her Second Amendment rights. HB 1857 seeks to make the fundamental rights guaranteed by the Second Amendment subject to summary judicial cancellation by allowing virtually anybody to call for the confiscation of anybody’s firearms. No other fundamental right is subject to such infringement and HB 1857 has a high potential for abuse. Supposed indications in the bill of what qualifies as “dangerousness” include ordinary things people have a legal right to do, including buying firearms and consuming alcohol.

Further, this bill fails to address the potential criminal acts of an actual dangerous individual. Assuming that petitions were only issued against people poised to commit a crime, this wouldn't do anything to defuse or prevent that person from committing the crime: no treatment, no supervision, no monitoring, no detention. Also, nothing in the bill would do anything to stop the person from getting additional firearms through some illegal means (which most criminals do anyway).

It is imperative that you contact members of the House Committee on Judiciary and politely urge them to OPPOSE House Bill 1857. Contact information for Committee members can be found here.

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://app.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=1857&year=2015

Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This made it through the first committee and will be in front of another, I believe by end of this week or next.

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The question that should be asked of the representatives and sponsors is why do we need this when 1840 was passed?

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary ... &bill=1840

Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There was a switch pulled and instead of the tech committee it is now being heard by the appropriations committee. Here is all their contact info. Hit them up guys!

I hit everyone but a few who wouldn't answer, and I left those ones messages.

2 offices got nasty with me because I didn't live in their districts and they denied that committee members have a responsibility to the whole state because not every district is represented on every committee and sitting on a committee is a special position that is more than being a legislator. Can you guess which 2 offices got stupid about this. Jenkins and Kagi, the two witches who have been pushing this bill all along!

START CALLING! Hearing is TOMORROW! These calls do matter so GET TO IT! Remember, you don't have to live in these districts to be heard, everyone on the committee represents the whole state in terms of their committee position apart from normal legislative duties. Don't let Jenkins or Kagi blow smoke at you.
House Appropriations Committee:

Representative Ross Hunter (D-48), Chair
Phone: (360) 786-7936

Representative Timm Ormsby (D-3), Vice Chair
Phone: (360) 786-7946

Representative Bruce Chandler (R-15), Ranking Minority Member
Phone: (360) 786-7960

Representative Kevin Parker (R-6), Asst. Ranking Minority Member
Phone: (360) 786-7922

Representative J.T. Wilcox (R-2), Asst. Ranking Minority Member
Phone: (360) 786-7912

Representative Vincent Buys (R-42)
Phone: (360) 786-7854

Representative Reuven Carlyle (D-36)
Phone: (360) 786-7814

Representative Eileen Cody (D-34)
Phone: (360) 786-7978

Representative Cary Condotta (R-12)
Phone: (360) 786-7954

Representative Tom Dent (R-13)
Phone: (360) 786-7932

Representative Hans Dunshee (D-44)
Phone: (360) 786-7804

Representative Susan Fagan (R-9)
Phone: (360) 786-7942

Representative Larry Haler (R-8)
Phone: (360) 786-7986

Representative Drew Hansen (D-23)
Phone: (360) 786-7842

Representative Zack Hudgins (D-11)
Phone: (360) 786-7956

Representative Sam Hunt (D-22)
Phone: (360) 786-7992

Representative Graham Hunt (R-2)
Phone: (360) 786-7824

Representative Laurie Jinkins (D-27)
Phone: (360) 786-7930

Representative Ruth Kagi (D-32)
Phone: (360) 786-7910

Representative Kristine Lytton (D-40)
Phone: (360) 786-7800

Representative Drew MacEwen (R-35)
Phone: (360) 786-7902

Representative Chad Magendanz (R-5)
Phone: (360) 786-7876

Representative Eric Pettigrew (D-37)
Phone: (360) 786-7838

Representative David Sawyer (D-29)
Phone: (360) 786-7906

Representative Joe Schmick (R-9)
Phone: (360) 786-7844

Representative Tana Senn (D-41)
Phone: (360) 786-7894

Representative Larry Springer (D-45)
Phone: (360) 786-7822

Representative Drew Stokesbary (R-31)
Phone: (360) 786-7846

Representative Pat Sullivan (D-47)
Phone: (360) 786-7858

Representative David Taylor (R-15)
Phone: (360) 786-7874

Representative Steve Tharinger (D-24)
Phone: (360) 786-7904

Representative Luanne Van Werven (R-42)
Phone: (360) 786-7980

Representative Brady Walkinshaw (D-43)
Phone: (360) 786-7826

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A little bird told me this would die, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't make an effort to let them know our displeasure.

Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dogfish wrote:
A little bird told me this would die, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't make an effort to let them know our displeasure.

OFF TOPIC: Did your bird happen to have any inkling of whether HB 2164 (providing exemptions to 594) would get a hearing or not? Because right now it's looking like Jenkins won't even allow it to be heard, even though it has 40+ sponsors.

Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alpine wrote:
2 offices got nasty with me because I didn't live in their districts and they denied that committee members have a responsibility to the whole state because not every district is represented on every committee and sitting on a committee is a special position that is more than being a legislator. Can you guess which 2 offices got stupid about this. Jenkins and Kagi, the two witches who have been pushing this bill all along!

What the actual hell?

Do you happen to have email addresses for the committee members?

Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Email addresses are Firstname.Lastname@leg.wa.gov

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://leg.wa.gov/House/Committees/JUDI ... Staff.aspx

You can click on each name and go to their contact info.

Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mislabeled wrote:
dogfish wrote:

OFF TOPIC: Did your bird happen to have any inkling of whether HB 2164 (providing exemptions to 594) would get a hearing or not? Because right now it's looking like Jenkins won't even allow it to be heard, even though it has 40+ sponsors.

I doubt it. I'm not sure how we can get that one out of committee. I need to get around to calling Chris Hurst, one of my reps, and ask why the flip he caucuses with the Democrats. He's supposedly an independent and 2A friendly, but the caucus in power chooses the chairs, which dictate the agenda.

Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alpine wrote:
Email addresses are Firstname.Lastname@leg.wa.gov

thanks

Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dogfish wrote:

I remember a similar birdie who told me the WA GOP would not pass a law to give illegal aliens in-state tuition. Then it happened.

Don't take anything for granted. One of the GOP aides I spoke with told me I shouldn't "waste" my time calling the republicans on the committee. When I pointed out how many of those RINOs voted for the "WA Dream ACT" she got nasty and hung up.

Quote:

Quote:

Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
The question that should be asked of the representatives and sponsors is why do we need this when 1840 was passed?

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary ... &bill=1840

Right. The organization that does the current evaluations, I believe, even spoke against it. It came down to the system is already in place, if there was proper funding. Putting on more constraints without additional funding would just add to the problem.

Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alpine wrote:
dogfish wrote:

I remember a similar birdie who told me the WA GOP would not pass a law to give illegal aliens in-state tuition. Then it happened.

Don't take anything for granted. One of the GOP aides I spoke with told me I shouldn't "waste" my time calling the republicans on the committee. When I pointed out how many of those RINOs voted for the "WA Dream ACT" she got nasty and hung up.

My source is a representative who I have known for a long time, comes over to the house on a regular basis, and is one of my friends. Theoretically he could be wrong but he bats about .950 and has absolutely no reason to hold anything back. He'll let me know if something changes.

I'll check on 2164 but I bieve it is being held hostage in exchange for this bill, along with another one.

Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next