Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:26 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Proposed Ban on M855 Ammunition... 

Hey everyone,

I decided to take a few minutes and write to my specific congressman regarding the proposed M855 ban. I know this will probably fall on deaf ears, but figured it can't hurt.

Just wanted to post what I wrote in case some of you didn't really know what to write, so you can use it as a template if you want. . If anyone has any other iterations they want to post as well, feel free!

Hello Mr. Reichert,

I know you’re very busy and probably see various bills every day come across your desk, but I wanted to bring one specifically to your attention.
Recently, the BATF proposed banning common M855 ammunition, which is commonly used in sporting rifles and pistols. The grounds for banning this specific round is due to the inaccurate belief that it is an “armor piercing” round, capable of penetrating standard body armor.

By definition (according to the BATF) an armor piercing round is “a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely . . . from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium”.
Unfortunately, M855 ammunition does not have a core made of the metals listed in the law; rather, it has a traditional lead core with a steel tip, and therefore should never have been considered “armor piercing.”

I urge you to oppose this specific bill because if/when this passes, sportsman and competitive shooters across the U.S. are at risk of other ammunitions being banned that don’t fit this description as well. This would make ammunition extremely difficult to acquire and drive costs up exponentially.

I thank you for your time and consideration.

:thumbsup2:

Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:22 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

John,

Thanks for writing that letter. This topic has an active thread already, located here: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=52397

Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 2 posts ]