Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:31 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Private F2F transfer BGC illegal? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Found this comment on another site:

"Well, I just had my first experience(bad, of course) with I-594.
I went to sell and transfer a gun at a gun store(Wade's in Bellevue). The buyer never showed up but I asked them about transfers anyway. Turns out they do not do them because it is illegal. Yes, you read that right. ILLEGAL for gun stores to call in background checks on private sales. Any store that does it is not telling them it is for a private sale, and are technically breaking the law themselves. So it is illegal to sell a gun without a transfer, but illegal for a gun store to do it for you. Thanks I-594. From now any guns I sell will come with a Bill of Sale dated 12/03/2014."

Anyone else hear anything about this?

Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not true...many other states require background checks on private sales (all guns or just handguns). This is their cop-out...they just don't want to do it.

Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:46 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yup. There are plenty of dealers now facilitating private transfers and the BATFE even sent out a memo to all dealers telling them how to do it.

Wades just doesn't feel like doing it.

Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Yup. There are plenty of dealers now facilitating private transfers and the BATFE even sent out a memo to all dealers telling them how to do it.

If that's the case it's pretty BS to say it's illegal.

Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:10 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

golddigger14s wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:

If that's the case it's pretty BS to say it's illegal.

Just like it is pretty BS to say, "From now any guns I sell will come with a Bill of Sale dated 12/03/2014." (most likely).

Synopsis of Rules for Radicals: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/communism/alinsky.htm
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" - Bob Marley
104th Division Image Timberwolves

Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:18 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's Wades. No surprise.

Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dan360 wrote:
It's Wades. No surprise.

This.

Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
Thanks I-594. From now any guns I sell will come with a Bill of Sale dated 12/03/2014."

been saying it all along fuck 594. 2 cpls, fill out a BOS and be on your merry way.

Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dan360 wrote:
It's Wades. No surprise.

Bingo! We have a winner!!!

Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:35 pm

I saw that on FB, made a short post from my phone and Tom expounded on it and added a link.
There have been two news letters put out before I594, maybe even before CA had their universal background check about how to do it. Then recently the ATF online form has additional checkboxes for private sales (though they did miss one).
So if it's illegal why did the ATF send out two newletter about how to do them? Then add to the online 4473? Seems just plain silly in this day and age to say private transfers are illegal. This thing called the internet, where anyone can go to the ATF's website and view the guidance letters for themselves.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:59 pm

Wades, you say. Looks like another gun store I haven't been to that I'll never get to.

Cross them off my list. What dopes.

Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Screw Wades, and I-594.
Two CPL's is a BGC.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unicorn wrote:
I saw that on FB, made a short post from my phone and Tom expounded on it and added a link.
There have been two news letters put out before I594, maybe even before CA had their universal background check about how to do it. Then recently the ATF online form has additional checkboxes for private sales (though they did miss one).
So if it's illegal why did the ATF send out two newletter about how to do them? Then add to the online 4473? Seems just plain silly in this day and age to say private transfers are illegal. This thing called the internet, where anyone can go to the ATF's website and view the guidance letters for themselves.

Question really quick. Was it illegal prior to 594 to have a ftf sale on an ffls property? I have been told this several time by different stores (again prior to 594) if this was the case was it because of the skipping of a big was it due to the gun not being in the bound book? I'm curious and have been wondering how this law changed the legalities of ftf transfers.....

Oooooor what that an insurance mandate deal.

Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unicorn wrote:

The fact that BATFE would amend the forms to accomodate private BGCs has little bearing. Of course the BATFE under this administration will support liberal states' efforts to infringe on gun owners, legal or not.

Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:49 am

never_to_much wrote:
Unicorn wrote:

Question really quick. Was it illegal prior to 594 to have a ftf sale on an ffls property? I have been told this several time by different stores (again prior to 594) if this was the case was it because of the skipping of a big was it due to the gun not being in the bound book? I'm curious and have been wondering how this law changed the legalities of ftf transfers.....

Oooooor what that an insurance mandate deal.

It makes a lot of dealers nervous because a gun transaction is occurring on their owned or controlled property. It could look bad and bring unwanted attention. Not illegal, but if it might bring the ATF around asking questions I can understand why most won't want it to happen.
Kind of along the lines of don't invite the man into your life.

Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next