Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:10 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 How to Travel With a Firearm 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Benja455 wrote:
. . . In most states, personally-owned firearms may be transported legally if they are unloaded, cased, and locked in the automobile trunk. . . .

1. Does a zippered softcase with tiny padlock on the zipper meet the legal requirement of "cased?"

2. Is a locked case in the passenger compartment legal for vehicles without trunks (e.g., pickups, motorhomes, and station wagons)?

Synopsis of Rules for Radicals: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/communism/alinsky.htm
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" - Bob Marley
104th Division Image Timberwolves

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:28 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

off topic but what is the point swabbing the firearm?

Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

8shotz_ZeroKills wrote:
off topic but what is the point swabbing the firearm?

its for those people that play with C4 and then say hey i want to go fly and i think i will take a gun with me :bonghit:

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done. --- Leonardo DaVinci

When its time to go in:
That place of steel and stone. I pray that you will keep me safe, so I will not walk alone. Help me to do my duty, please watch me on my rounds.
Amongst those perilous places and slamming steel door sounds. God, keep my fellow Officers well and free from harm. Let them know I'll be there too, whenever there's alarm.
Above all when I walk my beat, no matter where I roam. Let me go back whence I came, to family and home

Author unknown.

Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:15 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

DocNugent wrote:
Benja455 wrote:
. . . In most states, personally-owned firearms may be transported legally if they are unloaded, cased, and locked in the automobile trunk. . . .

1. Does a zippered softcase with tiny padlock on the zipper meet the legal requirement of "cased?"

2. Is a locked case in the passenger compartment legal for vehicles without trunks (e.g., pickups, motorhomes, and station wagons)?

Depends on the state. Best bet is to look at the individual state you are looking at travelling to/through and go from there.

Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BadKarma wrote:
Apparently they didn't know about magazine size bans or barrel length bans.

Restricted to 10 rounds in California for magazines, I don't believe you would be charged with violating 16740 PC if your handgun was locked in a bag and you were just passing though. Hell most LEOs don't know how to enforce that law never mind TSA officials.

There are no barrel length restrictions on handguns in California, federal law applies on long guns.

LA has some local codes on it, but they only apply to dealers selling them in the stores.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in Texas now, and brought a firearm with me. It was extremely easy going through the airport !

Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm ready for travel from Seattle to Florida via Alaska Airlines. I've actually gone as far as breaking the weapon down so it's obvious that it's not loaded. I have to drive from Florida to Minnesota( during election week!) and then fly back from Minnesota. I'm going to use the cable lock to attach the case to the inside of the frame of the hard-sided suitcase that I have. Extra insurance so it doesn't walk off the baggage line

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:32 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

That ammo needs to be in the case as well, if it fits.

Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:57 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:

It does?

Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:48 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Benja455 wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:

It does?

Well, I'll be darned, I stand corrected.
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECF ... .2.175_110
Quote:
(8) Small arms ammunition for personal use carried by a crewmember or passenger in checked baggage only, if securely packed in boxes or other packagings specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. Ammunition clips and magazines must also be securely boxed. This paragraph does not apply to persons traveling under the provisions of 49 CFR 1544.219.

Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:11 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ammo will have ends taped and be inside of the hard shell suit case, but not inside the gun case.

Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just finished the 2nd time I have traveled with a firearm, 1st with a pistol. Traveled to FL.

Less than 5 min from the time I asked for a FDF to finished. They didn't even bother opening the Pelican doube padlocked case that was also cable locked to the frame of the hardshell suitase. Glad it was painless.

Fun watching it move around the airport on my GPS map... I hid a TILE GPS chip inside locked case. :)

Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2