Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:03 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 SB5381 72 hour delay from LE returning firearms 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If family requests notification, 72 hour delay to return

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/ ... 5381-S.pdf

Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting idea, I'm curious if it's ever been a real problem without notification...otherwise it sounds like a feel good/do nothing unfunded mandate.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not sure what to make of it. The notification sounds fine, I am not sure about the 72 hour thing -- it doesn't really connect to the reason why the guns were taken by LE. It might be appropriate in some situations, but not others.

I do think it is interesting so many of these little bills sneak through without getting much public/media attention or scrutiny.

No articles from Dave Workman, no SAF or NRA comments. Just nothing that I could find.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
I'm not sure what to make of it. The notification sounds fine, I am not sure about the 72 hour thing -- it doesn't really connect to the reason why the guns were taken by LE. It might be appropriate in some situations, but not others.

I do think it is interesting so many of these little bills sneak through without getting much public/media attention or scrutiny.

No articles from Dave Workman, no SAF or NRA comments. Just nothing that I could find.

I think it's a matter of importance - folks like Dave, the SAF or NRA can't keep sounding the alarm for low level stuff like this. Honestly, I personally have no problem with it - but only if I ignore the cost/hassle/paperwork it will create for LEOs and their office staff. If I were WACOPS, I'd be pretty concerned about the fiscal ramifications of this bill. Even if you only deal with this situation occasionally - you still have to invest all of the time/energy into building a system, creating the procedures/forms - you can't do that overnight and/or for free.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benja455 wrote:
If I were WACOPS, I'd be pretty concerned about the fiscal ramifications of this bill. Even if you only deal with this situation occasionally - you still have to invest all of the time/energy into building a system, creating the procedures/forms - you can't do that overnight and/or for free.

Call me an asshole,but most of the time I can't get worked up.over government departments struggling under the load of new systems and paperwork. Keeps them too busy to do more harmful things.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see that bitch Laurie Jinkins is a co-sponsor of the House companion bill. If she's for it I'm agin' it.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

gscott wrote:
I see that bitch Laurie Jinkins is a co-sponsor of the House companion bill. If she's for it I'm agin' it.

I agree. What makes you think they will comply in the first place?

Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
What makes you think they will comply in the first place?

Fear of litigation by someone/their family after being injured/killed without notification.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

gscott wrote:

I was thinking earlier how vulnerable is she? If we call pitched in the next election, could we push her out?

Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the record I don't like her either.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benja455 wrote:
ANZAC wrote:

I think it's a matter of importance - folks like Dave, the SAF or NRA can't keep sounding the alarm for low level stuff like this. Honestly, I personally have no problem with it - but only if I ignore the cost/hassle/paperwork it will create for LEOs and their office staff. If I were WACOPS, I'd be pretty concerned about the fiscal ramifications of this bill. Even if you only deal with this situation occasionally - you still have to invest all of the time/energy into building a system, creating the procedures/forms - you can't do that overnight and/or for free.

My main concern is how this might be abused based on false accusations. There's no appeal process either, you just lose your guns for 72 hours, and it isn't tied back to ANY specific type of situation under the RCWs. A great example of how a bill that is very short and simple is actually bad.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
Benja455 wrote:
ANZAC wrote:

My main concern is how this might be abused based on false accusations. There's no appeal process either, you just lose your guns for 72 hours, and it isn't tied back to ANY specific type of situation under the RCWs. A great example of how a bill that is very short and simple is actually bad.

Valid point.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Passed.

http://www.kxly.com/news/spokane-news/s ... t/32415502

"She says the changes are small, but worth it if they can save just one life."

Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Passed without objection. Not one nay vote in either chamber. It must be good for us!

Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC must have 594'd it.

From a blog: Political Correctness - the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Benjamin Franklin: It is the (civic) responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next