Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 WA Pistol Definition 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.010

(18) "Pistol" means any firearm with a barrel less than sixteen inches in length, or is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.

Can you have a Pistol less than 16” and use a Vertical Foregrip?
Less than 16" = Pistol OR Has to be used with one hand = Pistol

10.5" AR Pistol with Foregrip seems to meet our State's definition of Pistol to me. Your thoughts?

Bo

Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No...

Remember you are dealing with State and Federal laws. You may think you fall into compliance with State but the Federal one will bite you.

No to vertical foregrip... on a pistol AR. SBR okay but that's a different thing.

If you want the laws cited. I'm sure someone will chime in shortly.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now for the hilarious part. Under Federal if it is at least 26" overall length and never had a factory shoulder stock attached to it, it is simply a "firearm" and you could put a VFG on it. However, you cannot carry it concealed...

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BlDtyLry wrote:
http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.010

(18) "Pistol" means any firearm with a barrel less than sixteen inches in length, or is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.

Can you have a Pistol less than 16” and use a Vertical Foregrip?
Less than 16" = Pistol OR Has to be used with one hand = Pistol

10.5" AR Pistol with Foregrip seems to meet our State's definition of Pistol to me. Your thoughts?

Bo

LOL I think this law got 594'd LOL

I seem to remember this saying "And", not "Or". I also seem to remember it saying "Up to 16"...there was a point of contention because the law between pistols and rifles left a grey area suggesting that a 16" barrel could be used for either one.

To answer the question in the OP:
If the firearm has a barrel less than 16"...it is a pistol.
If the firearm is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand...it is a pistol.
If the firearm has a barrel less than 16" and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand...it is still a pistol.

Vertical foregrips are always a no-no on pistols...fed law.

If you want a really confusing one...What is a rifled barrel shotgun, firing 00 shot classified as?
It's not a rifle, and it's not a shotgun. I guess the idea of a slug barrel never occurred to them.
(19) "Rifle" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.
(24) "Shotgun" means a weapon with one or more barrels, designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well based on WA State's decision on ignoring federal laws (ie. I-502) couldn't we get our state to turn a blind eye?

As for Shotgun vs. Rifle Shotgun firing 00-Buck. You could make the same argument for Pistols firing Shotshells. At the end of the day the characteristics of the firearm dictate its definition and not necessary the type of bullet it is firing. Multi-projectile is still only one cartridge. So much for common sense law writing

Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BlDtyLry wrote:
Well based on WA State's decision on ignoring federal laws (ie. I-502) couldn't we get our state to turn a blind eye?

As for Shotgun vs. Rifle Shotgun firing 00-Buck. You could make the same argument for Pistols firing Shotshells. At the end of the day the characteristics of the firearm dictate its definition and not necessary the type of bullet it is firing. Multi-projectile is still only one cartridge. So much for common sense law writing

Now your asking an entirely different question about the pistol. My short answer...no. Too much political confusion for the non-2A supporter.

As to the shotgun/rifle....Look at the definitions I posted.
I see I missed Pistol, but you had already posted it.

A shotgun, with a rifled barrel...is not a SHOTGUN under state law. A Shotgun under state law is specifically a smooth bore.
A rifle, specifically fires a single projectile by definition. It does not say round or cartridge.
Your argument about the pistol does not hold... A pistol is only defined by the fact it has a barrel less than 16" or is designed to be held and fired with one hand.
It could shoot anything, and no part of the pistol defines it as a pistol other those listed.

Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's my understanding that state LEOs have arrest power for violations of federal law, unless a state law says otherwise.

Regardless, adding a VFG to a pistol that's under 26" in OAL is a violation of federal law carrying a penalty of up to $250,000 and 10 years in federal PMITA prison. Is that worth it?

Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not arguing about Federal vs. State Law; I'm merely referencing the discrepancies between the two.

If you could be fined and incarcerated for a VFG on a pistol but not for consuming and/or possessing marijuana isn't this considered selective enforcement and could this used as a arguable defense? I'm not worried as I have the correct Stamps and will follow the rules no matter how convoluted they might be.

Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]