Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:50 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Seattle firearm/ammo tax + reporting requirement 
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Just posted this: http://www.preciseshooter.com/blog/Seat ... s2015.html
Facebook for commenting: https://www.facebook.com/NoGunTax

Roderick on gun tax in his own words: http://www.thestranger.com/blogs/slog/2 ... l-solution

Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:34 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

solyanik wrote:

Then I guess he was for it before he was against it eh? Flip flop in 3 days time. You can't possibly believe anything this guy says given what you posted and this from a mere 3 days before:
http://www.seattletimes.nwsource.com/ht ... wsxml.html

Quote:
John Roderick and John Persak, two other opponents, both said they support the bills.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm going to have to agree with Alpine, too. Fighting the passage is probably a losing battle; you're better off saving your powder for the legal fight that will follow.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:17 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Guns4Liberty wrote:
I'm going to have to agree with Alpine, too. Fighting the passage is probably a losing battle; you're better off saving your powder for the legal fight that will follow.

I disagree. This takes no powder to use except for some time and effort.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:30 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Guns4Liberty wrote:

Maybe so, but how likely are you to succeed in using that time and effort to convince the Council to reject the proposal? Not likely, for the reasons that Alpine laid out. The way I see it, the Council is predisposed to passage, so the only meaningful weapon available in this fight is legal action, which can only be taken up after passage.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:58 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Guns4Liberty wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:
Guns4Liberty wrote:

Maybe so, but how likely are you to succeed in using that time and effort to convince the Council to reject the proposal? Not likely, for the reasons that Alpine laid out. The way I see it, the Council is predisposed to passage, so the only meaningful weapon available in this fight is legal action, which can only be taken up after passage.

Sounds like what a lot of people said pre-594.. "We will let the courts hash it out"... Still waiting on that.

I look at it this way, ROI is huge. I can make a few calls, write a few emails and share a few facebook posts. Will it make a difference? Probably not, but will it get some people to possibly open their eyes? Most likely. And then if they share, call and email? The cascading effect will be worth it. And for what... 20 minutes of my time per week? That's a pretty easy investment.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:02 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Guns4Liberty wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:
Guns4Liberty wrote:

Sounds like what a lot of people said pre-594.. "We will let the courts hash it out"... Still waiting on that.

I look at it this way, ROI is huge. I can make a few calls, write a few emails and share a few facebook posts. Will it make a difference? Probably not, but will it get some people to possibly open their eyes? Most likely. And then if they share, call and email? The cascading effect will be worth it. And for what... 20 minutes of my time per week? That's a pretty easy investment.

Go ahead, Dan...drop the mic. You earned it.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Guns4Liberty wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:
Guns4Liberty wrote:

594 was statewide, and it was a ballot measure. There was also a lot more at stake for a lot more people, and the people making the decision were voters. None of that is true of this situation, so the comparison is apples to oranges.

I still believe that this will pass and go to the courts, but go ahead and do what you're doing in the meantime. It can't hurt.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:18 am

Yes, it will make a difference. At the very minimum, if gun owners show up at the polls in record numbers, it will show the bastards that actions have consequences. But I am fairly sure that most members of city council understand that this law is a fake, and just are in to score easy votes. They will jump ship the moment it starts looking complicated.

Also, I am surprised that anyone here needs persuading that Sandy Brown needs to lose this election.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:22 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

solyanik wrote:
Yes, it will make a difference. At the very minimum, if gun owners show up at the polls in record numbers, it will show the bastards that actions have consequences. But I am fairly sure that most members of city council understand that this law is a fake, and just are in to score easy votes. They will jump ship the moment it starts looking complicated.

Also, I am surprised that anyone here needs persuading that Sandy Brown needs to lose this election.

No one here disputes that Sandy Brown SHOULD lose. What WILL happen in liberal Seattle is different. 594 was a contest because it was statewide. This is no contest.

As for this:
Quote:
They will jump ship the moment it starts looking complicated.

How much money will you put on that? I am willing to bet $100 they pass this. I am willing to bet $10 it's unanimous or at least not any "no" votes (maybe some lazy absentees who don't vote at all).

Also, it already "looks complicated. One of the measures is 18 pages, the same length as 594!
http://www.seattle.gov/council/Burgess/ ... nances.pdf

My point here is that there is no way this doesn't pass. We need to begin preparing for litigation. The best way to do that is to elicit more telling statements from the council members which can be used to show legislative intent during trial and we should be putting more money into the SAF.

The other thing we need to do is determine how best to provoke such extreme statements from these legislators that even a King County Judge will be willing to grant an injunction against the laws pending appeal, or else the gun stores in Seattle are toast even if SAF eventually wins.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:28 am

How much money? I gave $700 to Roderick - this is the maximum one can give to a candidate. I've spent roughly the same amount on advertising. Once I figure out who is the strongest opponent to Sandy Brown, I will give that other candidate the max as well.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:46 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

solyanik wrote:
How much money? I gave $700 to Roderick - this is the maximum one can give to a candidate. I've spent roughly the same amount on advertising. Once I figure out who is the strongest opponent to Sandy Brown, I will give that other candidate the max as well.

You gave money to someone who told the Seattle Times he supports these laws?

What made him say he opposed it 3 days later? Your $700? I'd be curious to see if he switched position after your contribution. If he did then he is even more dangerous than I thought if he can be bought for a mere $700...

Otherwise he still needs to answer why he said he supports these laws and then 3 days later said he opposed them.

What changed in those short 3 days?

Quote:

Quote:

Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alpine wrote:
solyanik wrote:

What made him say he opposed it 3 days later? Your $700? I'd be curious to see if he switched position after your contribution. If he did then he is even more dangerous than I thought if he can be bought for a mere $700...

Otherwise he still needs to answer why he said he supports these laws and then 3 days later said he opposed them.

Realizing it is unconstitutional?

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
Alpine wrote:
solyanik wrote:

Realizing it is unconstitutional?

I have doubts whether Roderick even knows what preemption is, and if he does I'm willing to bet he opposes it because it doesn't let communities come up with "local," "common-sense" solutions that "best fit" that "community."

So far among all of his reasons for opposing these gun laws 3 days after he supported them, preemption or civil rights aren't anywhere in there.

If anyone can get a hold of him to put him specifically on the spot on these issues feel free. There is no phone number on his campaign website and I emailed and have not received a response for a couple days now.

Quote:

Quote:

Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
594 was statewide, and it was a ballot measure. There was also a lot more at stake for a lot more people, and the people making the decision were voters. None of that is true of this situation, so the comparison is apples to oranges.

I still believe that this will pass and go to the courts, but go ahead and do what you're doing in the meantime. It can't hurt.

I disagree that more was at stake with 594. This tax could ultimately affect everyone in the state who buys guns and ammo at dealers, unless it is defeated in court.

I agree that the council will just pass it. They need to be held accountable to the voters and taxpayers for wasting time and money on this stupid (and illegal) idea.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next