Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:40 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Handgun purchases with CCP license 

I attempted to purchase a handgun yesterday using my VA drivers license, active military id, and my WA state CCP license and i still needed a copy of my orders. This might sound crazy but shouldnt the license to conceal carry a pistol issued from my local PD cover it. Its not a big deal just curious. i called ine shop and they didnt care what documents i had they had to cerify i was in the state 90 days?

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:11 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

MoarBullets wrote:
I attempted to purchase a handgun yesterday using my VA drivers license, active military id, and my WA state CCP license and i still needed a copy of my orders. This might sound crazy but shouldnt the license to conceal carry a pistol issued from my local PD cover it. Its not a big deal just curious. i called ine shop and they didnt care what documents i had they had to cerify i was in the state 90 days?

Tis the law...
http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.092
Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, a licensed dealer may not deliver any firearm to a purchaser or transferee until the earlier of:
(1) The results of all required background checks are known and the purchaser or transferee is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal or state law; or
(2) Ten business days have elapsed from the date the licensed dealer requested the background check. However, for sales and transfers of pistols if the purchaser or transferee does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, then the time period in this subsection shall be extended from ten business days to sixty days.

So you need to prove you have been in state for more than 90 days. Orders should provide that.

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:50 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is for someone in the Active Military.

Proving residency status...

By having the Active Military ID... you "potentially" qualify to be a resident of all 50 States (if you have PCS orders stationing within that state).

By being in the military you can hold a Permanent State of Record and also the state you are stationed in...

Federal Law requires FFL to sale within that state for pistols/handguns... so hence why you have to transfer items from one state to another using a FFL - you can't just buy from private sale from a resident from another state without going through a FFL.

So in order for you to buy a firearm you'll need your copy of your PCS order with proper military ID.

The non resident or resident CPL (Concealed Pistol License) is for the background waiting period and in most cases will bypass the wait.

*Sidenote - every state has a different name for their concealed... Some states allow all weapons (firearms, knives, etc)... so you may see CCP, CWP, CHL, CHP, etc, etc
As you can read (CPL)... In Washington State it's specifically only for handguns (aka pistols).

So, what does all this mean. If you just got stationed here. You could go immediately to a gunshop and with a copy of your PCS orders stationing you here with your Military ID and you can buy a firearm. The orders give you "residency"

Washington State issues both resident and non resident CPL. As a non resident - you could simply go and apply for your CPL. The CPL doesn't allow you to buy a firearm... it makes it faster to pick up. The buying part is your orders and military ID

Now if you have been in the state and you live off post and you wanted to get a WA driver's license... then you could simply apply for your firearm using your WA DL and WA CPL and you could just go in and buy it.

Since you didn't have a copy of your orders and were using your Military ID... that is where you had only half of what you needed.
*Please note if you live on post/base... you will need to register that firearm with the Provost and also follow your unit/command's guidelines for firearm ownership.

It's best to store it off post.

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:35 am

Thanks for the reply, really breaks it down. ill need to keep a copy of my orders for my future purchases. Thanks again for the info!

Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MoarBullets wrote:
Thanks for the reply, really breaks it down. ill need to keep a copy of my orders for my future purchases. Thanks again for the info!

If you really don't want to get a WA drivers license, you can get a WA state ID card. I know at the Lacey Cabelas we will accept a digital copy of your orders if you can pull it up on your smart phone. Your orders make you a WA resident.

Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]