Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:41 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Question on rules for pistols in vehicle 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Base assumption is that driver has CPL. Here is the question:

Is it permissible to have a loaded pistol in the glove box within reach of the driver? Does it make a difference if the glove box is locked?

Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:05 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

read this

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=5804&hilit=%2Aglovebox%2A

Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While recently perusing goodies in my local gun shop, conversation came up concerning this. I asked a question to the long time gun shop owner about the legalities of a CPL holder transporting a loaded pistol in a vehicle while it was locked in a safe (lock box). He said it was illegal. There happened to be a King County Sheriff in the shop that interjected, "it all depends on the circumstance as to why we would be questioning it. Huh? So I plainly asked him "is it legal", the answer given to me was, no. I honestly think neither one really knew the correct interpretation of the law. Because of this, I have since decided to carry it in the lock box unloaded with the loaded magazine in the box next to the pistol....just to cover my ass from someone's "interpretation" of the law. Gun laws have gotten so convoluted that it seems even law enforcement don't know how to interpret them.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly. Also, please forgive my spelling or grammatical errors. If my post doesn't make sense or is not amusing, it's technology's fault and most certainly not operator ɹoɹɹǝ. Thank You

Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:54 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, here's the law (http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.050):

Quote:
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Assuming that the CPL holder ("licensee") is in the vehicle, I don't see any restrictions on where in the vehicle the pistol can be or whether it's locked up.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:

Quote:
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Assuming that the CPL holder ("licensee") is in the vehicle, I don't see any restrictions on where in the vehicle the pistol can be or whether it's locked up.

I disagree. Notice (i) and (ii) are not separated by an "or" as shown with (iii) in that RCW which gives the option vehicle storing while 'away from the vehicle". It's clear as day.

Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:05 am

UpDog wrote:
MadPick wrote:

Quote:

I disagree. Notice (i) and (ii) are not separated by an "or" as shown with (iii) in that RCW which gives the option vehicle storing while 'away from the vehicle". It's clear as day.

right thats how I read it as well, rcw reads that it has to be on the person when they are in the car, for the pistol to be loaded, and if they are not it has to be locked up and out of site(think safe storage type thing).

Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:popcorn:

Μολὼν λαβέ

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly. Also, please forgive my spelling or grammatical errors. If my post doesn't make sense or is not amusing, it's technology's fault and most certainly not operator ɹoɹɹǝ. Thank You

Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:16 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, I *think* that you guys are misinterpreting it. However, I'm not 100% sure of this.

When the law says, "X, Y or Z" then I think that's equivalent to "X or Y or Z," not "X and Y or Z."

"You must buy Winchester, Remington, or Mossberg" means you need to buy any one of those.
"You must buy Winchester, Remington, and Mossberg" means you need to buy all three.

Check out this web page: http://leg.wa.gov/CodeReviser/Documents ... nStyle.pdf

The second paragraph from the top caught my eye:

Code:
(i) In a series of three or more words or phrases, a comma is used after each item except the last, as in
"officers, deputies, and employees." This rule applies to both conjunctive, "and," and disjunctive, "or," series.

The phrases "conjunctive series" and "disjunctive series" got me thinking.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:18 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

MadPick wrote:
Well, I *think* that you guys are misinterpreting it. However, I'm not 100% sure of this.

When the law says, "X, Y or Z" then I think that's equivalent to "X or Y or Z," not "X and Y or Z."

"You must buy Winchester, Remington, or Mossberg" means you need to buy any one of those.
"You must buy Winchester, Remington, and Mossberg" means you need to buy all three.

Check out this web page: http://leg.wa.gov/CodeReviser/Documents ... nStyle.pdf . . . .

Yup, Code Revisor rulz.
:wavey:

Synopsis of Rules for Radicals: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/communism/alinsky.htm
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" - Bob Marley
104th Division Image Timberwolves

Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:36 am
Profile WWW

MadPick wrote:

Too bad that courts have upheld it to mean the following, X and Y or only Z, not any of the three but the first two or the third with out either of the first two being applicable.

Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I appreciate the varying viewpoints. Lew's point about varying interpretations is frightening and unfortunately a reality. Whether it is a LEO or prosecutor with a burr under their saddle an otherwise upstanding citizen could get taken down. How sad that more resources and punishment are likely to be thrown at this upstanding citizen based on interpretation than the punk stealing cars or breaking into homes (no interpretation necessary... unless it is Spanish or smack from the hood dialect).

Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:49 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dagamore wrote:
MadPick wrote:

Too bad that courts have upheld it to mean the following, X and Y or only Z, not any of the three but the first two or the third with out either of the first two being applicable.

What court cases have upheld that interpretation?

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UpDog wrote:
MadPick wrote:

Quote:

If that interpretation were true, then (ii) is redundant because either the licensee is carrying the loaded pistol on their person in the vehicle or it's locked up while they're away. There would be no reason to define that the licensee should remain in the vehicle while it's there.

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agree with Steve.

Yes, as long as you are within the vehicle (ii) it can be loaded and stored anywhere in the vehicle.

Although I wonder if it was on the person who did not have a CPL, but was in the vehicle...

Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been stopped multiples times across the state for varying reasons (including speeding, lights being out, and at DUI checks as well as had officers at my window directing traffic during road closures and at accidents- so various moods of the officers, city, county, and state) and there has been a pistol holstered (and twice not- but it was not loaded and in back) sitting on my passenger seat in plain sight. Every time I was asked if it was loaded and could I show my CPL. Not once did I ever have any further issue, nor did any officer tell me it was illegal- they only asked that I not reach for it, and one asked it I would place it on the passenger floor until he was done.

Granted this does not mean it is not illegal, but I can think of 6 times it has happened with 6 different officers, so I figure if there was any concern with illegality it would have come up, especially when getting a ticket for something already.
Also- it if far easier to just have the pistol holstered, but sometimes it is less comfortable on long drives across the state, or while hunting when my sidearm is a 8" revolver.

Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next