Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:24 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 WA transfer law, as related to 80% frames 

Since this is my first post, a short intro is probably in order. I came across this community after seeing a recommendation from a user on reddit. I’m an occasion pistol shooter, and I also like to build and fabricate stuff, hence this project.

I am considering building a 1911 from an 80% frame. I’ve done research on this, but I still have some legal questions. The seller I’m looking at has an ATF letter, so that makes me feel better about the Federal side of things. I’m still slightly concerned about the WA side though, in light of recently enacted transfer laws.

What I’m trying to figure out is, if ATF has determined a particular unfinished frame not to be a firearm, is there any chance that WA might still view it otherwise? I suspect the answer I’ll get here is that it isn’t an issue, but I would still like to hear thoughts on this.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Washington state defines a firearm as capable of launching a projectile via gunpowder or similar. A literalreading suggests a private sale of stripped 100% frames would be exempt from background checks but like the whole damned law, it's all untested.

Looong story short. Yeah, there is nothing against an 80%. I suspect if you TRIED to do a background check on an 80% the NICS examiner would laugh in your face and have a funny story on the next smoke break.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:00 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

^ What he said.

Welcome to WaGuns, ModelB! :wavey:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to WaGuns!

The only thing I can add... just in case.
Don't ever sell it once you make it. Making your own firearm is okay per BATFE (e.g. from 80%, etc) but once you make it into a workable firearm... please don't sell it.

I'm not saying it's impossible to sell but one then steps into (intent) a grey area, both from a legal and liability issue besides the extra hassle of serial number, licensure, taxes, etc

Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You know the ATF has rather clearly stated how an unlicensed individual can sell a homemade gun without being licensed...

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:10 am
Site Moderator / In Memoriam
Site Moderator / In Memoriam

welcomewgo

Welcome to WaGuns !!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck on your build.

cootduster

I'm not old.

I'm just no longer young !!!

Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:24 am

Thanks for the replies, and for the friendly welcome!

kf7mjf wrote:
Washington state defines a firearm as capable of launching a projectile via gunpowder or similar. A literalreading suggests a private sale of stripped 100% frames would be exempt from background checks but like the whole damned law, it's all untested.

What you say makes sense. I guess it is that “untested” part that makes me hesitate, and I am simply not familiar with any cases. Probably I’m way overthinking this.

As far as selling, yeah, I would not be doing that, legal or not. I might part it out if it ever came to that, but don’t really see myself ever selling the frame.

Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:09 pm

Personally I'd rather see a whole bunch of these unmarked weapons sold all the time as to fill the books with a bunch of items that can't be differentiated from each other...

I strongly believe there will be a day when they go back through those books trying to figure out exactly who has what...

Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:23 pm

kf7mjf wrote:
You know the ATF has rather clearly stated how an unlicensed individual can sell a homemade gun without being licensed...

It just has to have a serial number for the form. I suppose that number has to be in Arabic numbers and English letters? :)

Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]