Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:40 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 71% of weapons charges in Delaware dropped in 2014 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/new ... /78428440/

"From 2012 to 2014, more than 11,700 felony weapon charges were filed in Delaware, and in most cases, the weapon was a gun. Yet, 71 percent of those charges disappeared before trials began.
As President Barack Obama, state officials and others press for tighter gun controls after mass shootings across the country, gun rights advocates say there is less need for more restrictions and more emphasis needed on prosecuting criminals who have been charged with weapons violations."

Goes on with comments and excuses from the state regarding the lack of prosecutions. I kind of get it, but 71%? WTF?!

Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:42 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

More laws give the opportunity for selective enforcement.
No profit in busting gang bangers, can't even pay their fines.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yep, the NRA has been saying this for years....I just posted it to my Facebook page

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:36 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

beckdw wrote:
http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/local/2016/01/15/prosecutors-gun-charges-dont-matter-much-convictions/78428440/

"From 2012 to 2014, more than 11,700 felony weapon charges were filed in Delaware, and in most cases, the weapon was a gun. Yet, 71 percent of those charges disappeared before trials began.
As President Barack Obama, state officials and others press for tighter gun controls after mass shootings across the country, gun rights advocates say there is less need for more restrictions and more emphasis needed on prosecuting criminals who have been charged with weapons violations."

Goes on with comments and excuses from the state regarding the lack of prosecutions. I kind of get it, but 71%? WTF?!
Sounds like they need a law about prosecuting violations of the the law to me. Maybe an initiative?

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

skey wrote:
beckdw wrote:
http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/local/2016/01/15/prosecutors-gun-charges-dont-matter-much-convictions/78428440/

Sounds like they need a law about prosecuting violations of the the law to me. Maybe an initiative?

A lot of States don't have the initiative process like we have here in WA. The citizens just have to settle for what their Legislature gives them.

What might be interesting is to be able to see how how many of the weapons charges were dropped in exchange for a guilty plea on an underlying charge that was serious in it's own right. It sure would be good to see ALL weapons charges exempted from plea deals and take away the discretion on sentencing from Judges. Might make some of the scumbags think twice if they knew they'd be automatically charged with carrying illegally and had to work their schedule around a 5 year prison term.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
skey wrote:
beckdw wrote:

A lot of States don't have the initiative process like we have here in WA. The citizens just have to settle for what their Legislature gives them.

What might be interesting is to be able to see how how many of the weapons charges were dropped in exchange for a guilty plea on an underlying charge that was serious in it's own right. It sure would be good to see ALL weapons charges exempted from plea deals and take away the discretion on sentencing from Judges. Might make some of the scumbags think twice if they knew they'd be automatically charged with carrying illegally and had to work their schedule around a 5 year prison term.
Exactly. It wouldn't take too many gangbangers getting nailed hard to potentially lose the love for riding with their 9. Weapons charges should not able to be part of plea bargains as you said. That won't happen because that would be "Common Sense" dirtbag reform.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We don't want to go down the road we did in the 80's with automatic sentencing. Judges need some discretion to administer the law. It would be nice to see plea deals limited. But a plea deal may be good for the prosecution if there isn't enough evidence for the serious charge.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DSynger wrote:
We don't want to go down the road we did in the 80's with automatic sentencing. Judges need some discretion to administer the law. It would be nice to see plea deals limited. But a plea deal may be good for the prosecution if there isn't enough evidence for the serious charge.

Agreed. However, in this case it appears we are getting slap happy with charging folks and we are pleading too many down. Seems like an exercise in futility.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And how many were bullshit throwaway charges without merit?

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

overcrowded jails and overworked prosecutors..

without plea deals the system would grind to a halt

Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:

this is a good point, however weapons chargers are pretty cut and dry....except......I think in WA a weapon only adds time if used in the commission of a serious crime (felony and selected gross misdemeanors), perhaps when the charges were plea bargained down to lesser crimes the gun charges fell away?

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:59 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TINCANBANDIT wrote:
kf7mjf wrote:

this is a good point, however weapons chargers are pretty cut and dry....except......I think in WA a weapon only adds time if used in the commission of a serious crime (felony and selected gross misdemeanors), perhaps when the charges were plea bargained down to lesser crimes the gun charges fell away?
So that said, we need ANY new laws Why?

Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TINCANBANDIT wrote:
kf7mjf wrote:

A Felon in Possession charge is a charge that stands on it's own. Bargaining it away merely end-runs the intent of our gun laws.

As for Judge's discretion, that would be fine if they were using it to hand down sentences designed to alter behavior. Today many of the sentences for things like illegal firearm possession merely give the convicted enough time behind bars to get some good rest, good meals, clean up from their drug abuse, get their teeth fixed, medical conditions treated, and right back to the street to start over again.

As for prison "Overcrowding", ask 'Sheriff Joe' how to deal with that. It sure isn't with Cable TV, Air Conditioned housing, and guards who are disciplined when they enforce the rules on unwilling inmates. Behavior modification often requires some uncomfortable actions and we've turned our Correction Facilities into "Summer Camps".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
TINCANBANDIT wrote:
kf7mjf wrote:

A Felon in Possession charge is a charge that stands on it's own. Bargaining it away merely end-runs the intent of our gun laws.

As for Judge's discretion, that would be fine if they were using it to hand down sentences designed to alter behavior. Today many of the sentences for things like illegal firearm possession merely give the convicted enough time behind bars to get some good rest, good meals, clean up from their drug abuse, get their teeth fixed, medical conditions treated, and right back to the street to start over again.

As for prison "Overcrowding", ask 'Sheriff Joe' how to deal with that. It sure isn't with Cable TV, Air Conditioned housing, and guards who are disciplined when they enforce the rules on unwilling inmates. Behavior modification often requires some uncomfortable actions and we've turned our Correction Facilities into "Summer Camps".

:yes:

Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]