Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 5:29 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 remanufacturing demilled firearms from "parts kits" 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone buy a parts kit and repair the demilled receiver? Any advice on the regs? It would be converted to SA obviously. It's a home manufacture right? Need to stamp it somehow I guess? Shouldn't be different than completing a 80% lower, right?
Any 922R issues with a pistol? I understand not, and there is not a lot of US made parts for the VZ61 Scorpion. If I go SBR, 922R doesn't apply because then it is NFA licensed, right?

I'm trying to do due diligence, hard to get this stuff sorted out. I'm new and this shit is deep.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:54 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Edit: Never mind. You didn't say it was previously a machine gun receiver.

Repairing a demilled machine gun receiver would be a 10 year problem.
ATF has convicted people for merely possessing a quantity of demilled receiver parts that could be duct taped together and could fire one round, regardless of whether it exploded.
Need to start with a new receiver.

Last edited by Guntrader on Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:02 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

gscott wrote:
Anyone buy a parts kit and repair the demilled receiver? Any advice on the regs? It would be converted to SA obviously. It's a home manufacture right? Need to stamp it somehow I guess? Shouldn't be different than completing a 80% lower, right?
Any 922R issues with a pistol? I understand not, and there is not a lot of US made parts for the VZ61 Scorpion. If I go SBR, 922R doesn't apply because then it is NFA licensed, right?

I'm trying to do due diligence, hard to get this stuff sorted out. I'm new and this shit is deep.

Well, here are the answers as I understand them:

- Yes, it's a home-built gun, no different than completing an 80% lower.
- No, you don't need to stamp it with anything unless you decide to sell it.
- Pistols don't need to meet 922(r).
- SBRs and 922(r) don't seem to be well-defined, but my best understanding is that yes, they need to meet it. I know that the ATF gave a specific ruling on this related to the CZ Scorpion EVO 3.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
Edit: Never mind. You didn't say it was previously a machine gun receiver.

Repairing a demilled machine gun receiver would be a 10 year problem.
ATF has convicted people for merely possessing a quantity of demilled receiver parts that could be duct taped together and could fire one round, regardless of whether it exploded.
Need to start with a new receiver.

In it's previous life it was FA, if that's what you mean. But it would be modified and the FA parts modified or destroyed.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:17 pm

The FA characteristics need to be removed from the receiver stubs before it is reassembled to the point where the ATF considers it a firearm.

Weaponsguild should have Skorpion reweld info if it's possible. It won't be easy.

922r compliance is suggested for SBRs althoug the law is unclear.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks both for the responses. I've found a couple step by steps. Doesn't look like rocket surgery, but the torch cuts are pretty ugly. I've also seen there are files for 3d printed receivers and there are new SA receivers, but not cheap. 80%ers may have been available once but I can't find any. It might be handy to have a complete receiver on hand when repairing the cut one.

So, if I was to have a parts kit, and welded the stock so it does not function, but instead is welded in the closed position, then I could mount it and it would not be an SBR, correct? The VZ61 just doesn't look right without it, but I could live without it working in light of SBR rules...

<edit>
IMO, the CZ61 Scorpion, when fitted with a stock, should not be classified as an SBR. A rifle is defined as being 'designed to be fired from the shoulder'. The CZ61 has a short folding stock, much too short to shoulder, because it was designed to be fired from the CHEEK! Somehow I doubt that's an argument I can win!

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:29 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

gscott wrote:
So, if I was to have a parts kit, and welded the stock so it does not function, but instead is welded in the closed position, then I could mount it and it would not be an SBR, correct? The VZ61 just doesn't look right without it, but I could live without it working in light of SBR rules...

That should be true. It would be just like the PPS-43C pistols that were sold recently with the underfolding stock that was spot-welded in the folded position.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
gscott wrote:

That should be true. It would be just like the PPS-43C pistols that were sold recently with the underfolding stock that was spot-welded in the folded position.

See? Easy Peazy! Who says this stuff is complicated?

I think I;ll probably try it. Worst that can happen is I have a great big pile of parts or need to buy a new receiver. Nothing ventured and all that...

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:01 pm

WA state law says any machine guns, parts of machine guns, or things like that are not allowed. Thus, kits from guns that were once machine guns aren't legal in this state. I believe if the cut receiver has the features from the machine gun it's illegal. Apex and others won't ship to WA for that reason. I don't have the law in front of me, but that's my rough recall.

Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:26 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

gscott wrote:

Do make sure that the kit does not contain machine gun parts - such as a disconnector - which are illegal in WA. If you are buying from a large company, they would already know and not sell you a wrong kit, but if you are buying on Gunbroker, you can accidentally come in possession of illegal stuff...

Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And you can't build the gun in semi-auto form without the parts. The only way to get the parts is to get them in FA form and modify them, or destroy them if not needed. So Washington law again sucks ass. I think the way to do it is receive it in another state and modify the parts before bringing them into this state. All this before it is a firearm, of course.

As far as the cut receiver, it's not a firearm at that point, I'm not too worried about that. It's not a 'part' that can be used to convert something to FA in of itself. Just so long as you fill the FA portions of the receiver before putting it back together to the point it again becomes a firearm.

I suppose this all will vary depending on which weapon we're talking about. I was talking about a VZ61, that's what I'm imagining in my head.

These laws sure make me feel safer!

Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or we could look up the law...

Emphasis mine

Quote:
RCW 9.41.220
Unlawful firearms and parts contraband.
All machine guns, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles, or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, illegally held or illegally possessed are hereby declared to be contraband, and it shall be the duty of all peace officers, and/or any officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington, to seize said machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or parts thereof, wherever and whenever found.

You can have machine gun parts kits.

You cannot have happy parts.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:47 pm

kf7mjf wrote:

Emphasis mine.

Thanks for that!

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:

I already looked it up, but thanks for helping.

kf7mjf wrote:
You can have machine gun parts kits.

You cannot have happy parts.

I don't understand this statement.
As we've already discussed, if the parts kit has FA parts you can't have the parts kit. The parts kits come with FA parts. Without the FA parts you can't build a SA firearm, which defeats the whole purpose AFAIC

Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Order the kit without the happy parts...

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next