Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:06 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 WAGR's Next Firearm Initiative 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ModelB wrote:
So, is the text of this thing available yet, or do we have to wait?

Edit:
I just found their website. They just have the announcement up, that's it.

Edit again:
I am rather new to this.
House: http://app.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary. ... &year=2015
Senate: http://app.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary. ... &year=2015

Assuming it's modeled off of the current legislative bills. the main takeaways as summarized by POGR in the notice they sent out today are:
Quote:
Lose your guns and your gun rights for at least one year
Accusation by one person of being a “risk” can lead to losing your rights
Among the “risks” are recently acquiring a firearm or ammunition, or even drinking alcohol
No right to a formal appeal hearing, erasing your due process rights
Guns can be confiscated without being arrested or convicted of a crime
Guns can be confiscated without adjudication or treatment for mental illness
False accusation is not a felony
Disobeying the order is not a felony

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most of this I don't have problems with. It needs more due process though, including more appeals, and the 1 year should be reduced to 30 days, or less whichever is least, pending an in depth investigation into the credibility of the threat. If no credible threat or danger is found, then an investigation should be commenced to determine if the petition was filed maliciously.

This is what happens though when we don't move fast enough. The antis write their own bills and they will pass because they look good and we do nothing to offer viable solutions, and sit around at wildlife refuges ranting about tyranny and crazy bullshit, while paying lip service to the idea of focusing on mental health issues and identifying extreme risks.

Well, here is a bill that will possibly be applied to the "well we all knew he was a danger and saw it coming but nobody did anything" sort. And we as a community didn't offer up our own.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
Most of this I don't have problems with. It needs more due process though, including more appeals, and the 1 year should be reduced to 30 days, or less whichever is least, pending an in depth investigation into the credibility of the threat. If no credible threat or danger is found, then an investigation should be commenced to determine if the petition was filed maliciously.

This is what happens though when we don't move fast enough. The antis write their own bills and they will pass because they look good and we do nothing to offer viable solutions, and sit around at wildlife refuges ranting about tyranny and crazy bullshit, while paying lip service to the idea of focusing on mental health issues and identifying extreme risks.

Well, here is a bill that will possibly be applied to the "well we all knew he was a danger and saw it coming but nobody did anything" sort. And we as a community didn't offer up our own.

If someone is so immediately dangerous that their guns need to be removed from them, they shouldn't be walking around free!

What is wrong with forcing this to go through due process and allowing the accused to immediately respond to the judge just in case the charge is totally bogus?

Watch this documentary trailer about the 50 billion $ divorce industry and if you get time you can watch the whole thing online. One of the key points is that TROs and ROs are already abused for divorce gamesmanship. Also, the burden of proof to prove someone made a knowingly false accusation is high, they can just say they "felt" threatened.

If you want to repeal the 6th and 8th Amendments then make the case for it, don't gut it with Soviet-style laws like this.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We might as well do away with 72 hour mental health holds too then. A short term, highly temporary, appealable process that includes penalties for abuse should be fine.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
We might as well do away with 72 hour mental health holds too then. A short term, highly temporary, appealable process that includes penalties for abuse should be fine.

Who can institute 72 hour holds?

Also, you seemed to skip right over my first point, if someone is so dangerous their guns need to be removed then they should be locked up themselves. The 72 hour hold actually accomplishes that.

This is about as stupid as putting someone on a do-not-fly list and then letting them walk onto a bus or a train.

Quote:

Quote:

Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We can hold for mental health, but we can't hold for "dude has a high probability of being dangerous but hasn't yet" done properly, with due process, we can likely achieve a brief risk reducing intervention to those people, much like a mental health hold allows now.

Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
We can hold for mental health, but we can't hold for "dude has a high probability of being dangerous but hasn't yet" done properly, with due process, we can likely achieve a brief risk reducing intervention to those people, much like a mental health hold allows now.

They are just as likely to use any other object to assault or kill, including their own firsts, baseball bats, knives, etc.

This will accomplish little other than to create a new method for anti-gun spouses and family members to harass gun owning relatives they don't like.

And if anything it will be used by domestic abusers to disarm their victims and help kill more than it would save lives.

Quote:

Quote:

Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If this wins, expect more.

Until there is no money in gun control for politicians and initiatives fail (this would take Seattlights reading Emerson's Self Reliance rather than the communist manifesto), this will be a yearly thing until WA is CA.

These politics are no more than "people hurting others they don't like via the violence of the state". Those that don't like guns, or self reliance, or people with self respect and decency, Emerson readers, etc... can sit back and watch their enemies suffer.

I am not a Noam Chomsky fan at all. But he does speak the truth saying, "A successful democracy turns humanities natural aspirations into hopelessness". When I see garbage legislation like this, and the retarded masses clapping for it, I certainly feel hopeless.

Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:46 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Then we need to take better charge of the narrative. As a culture we've got nothing other than our internal buzzwords, the assumption anyone who isn't in total agreement is an enemy, irrational fear mongering and an inability to really reach out, because gun politics are mired with other politics that most people don't take seriously. (I'm looking at you religious right and militia nutters)

We don't control the narrative, we don't offer solutions, and sometimes we sound insane.

Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

platz wrote:
When is someone going to draft a bill or put forth an initiative that makes these things require a 2/3rds majority to pass? I'm sick of king county and the rest of these hoplophobes pissing on the rest of us.

Maybe WAGuns.org should do it, along with Hunting-Washingon.com. We could call the initiative "Fairness and Diversity in Democracy to stop the 1% from taking your give me that's". That would totally be a slam dunk in "The Kings County".

Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:54 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
We don't control the narrative, we don't offer solutions, and sometimes we sound insane.

That is an awesome tagline. Just wish we didn't own it. :angryfire:

Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:16 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
Then we need to take better charge of the narrative. As a culture we've got nothing other than our internal buzzwords, the assumption anyone who isn't in total agreement is an enemy, irrational fear mongering and an inability to really reach out, because gun politics are mired with other politics that most people don't take seriously. (I'm looking at you religious right and militia nutters)

While I agree we should control the "narrative" this idea that it's our job to "offer solutions" is absurd. Why? 2/3 of all firearm deaths are suicides. Yet the US is #50 in the world for suicide rate under dozens of first world countries that ban or heavily restrict guns, such as France, Belgium, South Korea, Japan, Montenegro, etc. This proves that 2/3 of firearm deaths in the US would likely happen with or without guns. Whittle the number down to the ~10k homicides and gun murder becomes statistically insignificant compared to other murder and violent death.

However, if you really want to reduce those remaining 10k murders, according to the FBI over 80% of them are being committed by repeat felons who keep getting let out of jail by soft-hearted legislatures and courts, ie: Tuba Man Killer who will be out in 2030 in time to kill again for the 3rd time.

This is why any gun law is doomed to dismal failure and will have zero impact. Criminal control will be the only thing that reduces homicides, and suicides likely cannot be reduced much at all, or else what can we do that these other countries haven't tried for mental health?

Quote:

Quote:

Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cowboycraig wrote:
kf7mjf wrote:

That is an awesome tagline. Just wish we didn't own it. :angryfire:

This is why I'm so hard on the militia nutters, tinfoil kooks, and rabid conservatives who want to bring Jesus, right wing social issues and fear of brown people to the table with gun rights. Fucking idiots are dragging us down with their needless baggage and rhetoric.

Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alpine wrote:
kf7mjf wrote:

While I agree we should control the "narrative" this idea that it's our job to "offer solutions" is absurd. Why? 2/3 of all firearm deaths are suicides. Yet the US is #50 in the world for suicide rate under dozens of first world countries that ban or heavily restrict guns, such as France, Belgium, South Korea, Japan, Montenegro, etc. This proves that 2/3 of firearm deaths in the US would likely happen with or without guns. Whittle the number down to the ~10k homicides and gun murder becomes statistically insignificant compared to other murder and violent death.

However, if you really want to reduce those remaining 10k murders, according to the FBI over 80% of them are being committed by repeat felons who keep getting let out of jail by soft-hearted legislatures and courts, ie: Tuba Man Killer who will be out in 2030 in time to kill again for the 3rd time.

This is why any gun law is doomed to dismal failure and will have zero impact. Criminal control will be the only thing that reduces homicides, and suicides likely cannot be reduced much at all, or else what can we do that these other countries haven't tried for mental health?

You see what happens when we don't offer solutions. Somebody else does. It goes along with controlling the narrative.

Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alpine wrote:

I would argue "This is why any gun law is doomed to dismal failure and will have zero impact" isn't true at all. The law is 101% successful and 101% impactful. It hurt the integrity of the Constitution and morons clapped for it. The Propaganda Wedge Issue of Gun Control divided the City and Rural Area cultures to the benefit of "Control". The situation is 100% engineered.

Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:27 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next