Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 7:13 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 SCOTUS: right to bear arms not just guns 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/sup ... rs-n542566

Wonder if this will impact knife laws?

Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The knife scare in the U.S. was too recent, people don't feel safe around knives.

Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would love to see the vast majority of US knife laws given the boot. They're absolutely useless for anything other than confusing people who actually try to follow them. But the criminals? Yeah, when they've moved on to hatchets you've got to realize those knife laws have reached the height of irrelevancy as far as preventing crime goes.

Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mislabeled wrote:
I would love to see the vast majority of US knife laws given the boot. They're absolutely useless for anything other than confusing people who actually try to follow them. But the criminals? Yeah, when they've moved on to hatchets you've got to realize those knife laws have reached the height of irrelevancy as far as preventing crime goes.

Totally agree. Normal folks once again hamstrung in the free country, whereas hardened criminals simply don't care and ignore the law.

Here's the opinion: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15 ... 8_aplc.pdf

Code:
"If the fundamental right of self defense does not protect Caetano, then the safety of all Americans is left to the mercy of state authorities who may be more concerned about disarming the people than about keeping them safe," Alito wrote.

Not only for knives, but also for FUTURE weapons that are not traditional guns, lake rail guns, lasers, etc.

This case cites and relies heavily on Heller; thank God for the sane rational Constitutionalists that were on the court at the time.

Here is a simple yet important analysis:
Quote:
It simply reflects the reality that
the founding-era militia consisted of citizens “who would
bring the sorts of lawful weapons that they possessed at
home to militia duty,” Heller, 554 U. S., at 627, and that
the Second Amendment accordingly guarantees the right
to carry weapons “typically possessed by law-abiding
citizens for lawful purposes,” id., at 625. While stun guns
were not in existence at the end of the 18th century, the
same is true for the weapons most commonly used today
for self-defense, namely, revolvers and semiautomatic
pistols. Revolvers were virtually unknown until well into
the 19th century,4 and semiautomatic pistols were not
invented until near the end of that century.5 Electronic
stun guns are no more exempt from the Second Amendment’s
protections, simply because they were unknown to
the First Congress, than electronic communications are
exempt from the First Amendment, or electronic imaging
devices are exempt from the Fourth Amendment.

This bolded part is precisely the argument that needs to be emphasised when discussing fully automatic weapons, suppressors, etc.

For those keeping score, Alito was a Bush appointee and has been a great friend to the Constitution. This is a reminder of how important the POTUS power is to appoint a SCOTUS. Obama has appointed 2 and will maybe get a 3rd. God save us if another Dem is elected anytime soon.... a court stacked with bedwetting liberal Justices will give years of bad rulings, rather than good ones.

Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
God save us if another Dem is elected anytime soon.... a court stacked with bedwetting liberal Justices will give years of bad rulings, rather than good ones.
More like decades, but a salient point as always.

Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Save lives, stop the knives!"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7627432.stm

It's not enough in Britain to just remove the guns from the populace, now it's the knives too lol.

Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Duke EB wrote:
"Save lives, stop the knives!"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7627432.stm

It's not enough in Britain to just remove the guns from the populace, now it's the knives too lol.

That's because they refuse to accept that guns do not in fact cause folks to go out and kill people. Their continued rise in violent crime after all but banning legally owned firearms means either they blame it on something else (knives) or accept that firearms don't cause crime. Ever hear of the gov saying, "oh shit, we screwed up"? Fat chance.

Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:28 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Have a friend in the UK that is really keen on bayonets.
Although he can't legally own one.
Said they were coming for his kitchen knives next.

Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
Have a friend in the UK that is really keen on bayonets.
Although he can't legally own one.
Said they were coming for his kitchen knives next.

I have a friend in the UK and he showed me his Kukuri from Napal. He said never to tell anyone about it - while I was there of course - because he could go to prison for a long time if he was caught with it, even if he used it in defense. Their right to defense, even in the home, is very limited and if a weapon is used like a big knife it would be bad...

Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
mislabeled wrote:

Totally agree. Normal folks once again hamstrung in the free country, whereas hardened criminals simply don't care and ignore the law.

I wonder how many people have been prosecuted under the Seattle code?

Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
leadcounsel wrote:
mislabeled wrote:

At least one was killed, by SPD.

From a blog: Political Correctness - the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Benjamin Franklin: It is the (civic) responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe ANZAC can weigh in, but I've conversed with foreigners & immigrants who are dumbfounded that local governments have the power/ability to regulate such things as blade length or fixed vs. folding. In most countries, it's either legal or not, essentially everywhere.

Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hkcavalier wrote:
Maybe ANZAC can weigh in, but I've conversed with foreigners & immigrants who are dumbfounded that local governments have the power/ability to regulate such things as blade length or fixed vs. folding. In most countries, it's either legal or not, essentially everywhere.

Well that's a general statement about many things. Australia has a federal electoral roll -- it is impossible to be registered in more than one place. Everything in the US is so localized or state-ized compared with other countries (yeah, I get it, the "United STATES").

I don't think I ever thought much about knife laws when I lived in Australia.... I had a friend with a big Bowie knife.
So, I'm assuming it was legal back then. But hey, we also drove up to a bank robbery road block with a rifle sitting between my legs and balaclavas on and didn't end up in jail.

Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

danoh wrote:

At least one was killed, by SPD.[/quote]

Well shooting is a form of arrest, not prosecution.

Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
danoh wrote:

At least one was killed, by SPD.

Well shooting is a form of arrest, not prosecution.[/quote]

No. It was a trial. It was observed, judged, and sentence carried out.

In this case, death.

From a blog: Political Correctness - the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Benjamin Franklin: It is the (civic) responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]