Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:07 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Here's an interesting scenario for the I-594 experts 
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

I recently sold two pistols to a man whom I know is a solid guy. We jumped through all the paperwork hoops, got a PROCEED on his NICS check, sent a WA State Pistol Transfer Application on each pistol to his local PD, verified his CPL, and sent him on his way.

10 days later, I get a faxed copy of one of the PTA's with a DENY stamped across the top. WTF? So I call and call and leave messages trying to figure out why the denial,
and why on only one pistol? How deo

In the fullness of time, I was able to surmise that said local PD only sent back one PTA because they assumed the 2nd PTA was a duplicate...I guess different serial numbers mean nothing. I also found out that my customer had a warrant outstanding. Marvelous. My question to the PD was "What happens now?" Evidently, they send my customer a letter telling him he his prohibited, that he should turn back to weapons until such time as he clears up his legal issues. So, I call the customer, inform him of the mess, and ask him to look into it. Turns out it is a small thing that blossomed into a bench warrant because he forgot about it.

Next, I am asked by his wife if she can have the pistols transferred into her name? Sure, just bring them in and we will process them through. "Okay, I will let you know when we want to come by."

A week goes by, and the guy's wife tells me her hubby got everything cleared up with the courts and will be coming by to the run the pistols back through the NICS check and PTA paperwork. Fine...let me know.

3 weeks have now expired (4 since the transfer) and still no word from the customer. Meanwhile, this denial is hanging out there. Or maybe it isn't. The state has been copied on the PTA's, but no word from the Firearms Unit.

I refuse to demand that the customer return the weapons for a 2nd bite at the apple. One- he got a PROCEED from FBI. Two- he possessed a CPL at time of transfer, and Three- I already performed my due diligence in carrying out the paperwork functions.

Isn't this POS I-594 great?

Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:43 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't know the details of the process . . . but in fairness, this doesn't sound like a 594 issue. The basic NICS and PTA process was in place before 594.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess without 594 you never would have known about the warrant because this sale would have taken place in a parking lot.

Not that it helped at all.

Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:05 am

Okay, perhaps I should re- direct my puzzlement to once again asking WTF our representatives in Olympia are smoking?

Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:49 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

3584ELK wrote:
I recently sold two pistols to a man whom I know is a solid guy. We jumped through all the paperwork hoops, got a PROCEED on his NICS check, sent a WA State Pistol Transfer Application on each pistol to his local PD, verified his CPL, and sent him on his way.

Are you an FFL? You call him a "customer"?

Quote:
10 days later, I get a faxed copy of one of the PTA's with a DENY stamped across the top. WTF? So I call and call and leave messages trying to figure out why the denial,
and why on only one pistol? How deo

In the fullness of time, I was able to surmise that said local PD only sent back one PTA because they assumed the 2nd PTA was a duplicate...

Did they explain why the first PTA and both 4473s got proceeds?

Quote:
Next, I am asked by his wife if she can have the pistols transferred into her name? Sure, just bring them in and we will process them through. "Okay, I will let you know when we want to come by."

I would not have done that. You have a guy you know has some issue, and you're helping with some kind of constructive possession situation.

Quote:
3 weeks have now expired (4 since the transfer) and still no word from the customer.

Shocker.

Quote:
I refuse to demand that the customer return the weapons for a 2nd bite at the apple. One- he got a PROCEED from FBI. Two- he possessed a CPL at time of transfer, and Three- I already performed my due diligence in carrying out the paperwork functions.

What does this have to do with 594? Were they private sales?

Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:53 am

ANZAC wrote:
3584ELK wrote:

Are you an FFL? You call him a "customer"? We have had this conversation before, sir. Yes, I am an FFL 01

Quote:
and why on only one pistol?

In the fullness of time, I was able to surmise that said local PD only sent back one PTA because they assumed the 2nd PTA was a duplicate...

Did they explain why the first PTA and both 4473s got proceeds? I was left to assume that the FBI database never caught the warrant out of K__ County, therefore the PROCEED from NICS. Since the local PD assumed the 2nd PTA was a duplicate, I am guessing it went into Circular File # 13, so there was no way to run a check on it.

Quote:

I would not have done that. You have a guy you know has some issue, and you're helping with some kind of constructive possession situation.

What would you have done? I am not going to become a one man enforcement arm for ATF, WA state, or any other cop shop. I made my request known in writing on
more than one occasion, and I have it from ATF that I have done everything properly.

Quote:
3 weeks have now expired (4 since the transfer) and still no word from the customer.

Shocker.

Agreed, but I am just the low life FFL.

Quote:

What does this have to do with 594? Were they private sales?
They were sales from my LLC to the customer, not private party transfers. And, as I admitted above, I over stepped when pronouncing I-594 at fault. It's WA state RCW's and the local PD that convoluted the whole issue.

Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:29 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you being paid to enforce the law? Are you a sworn peace officer?
Honestly, if you are that concerned, I would suggest speaking to legal council.
Being a relatively intelligent person, knowing what I know, I would guess you are alright.
But, if it still itches you, contact legal council.

"For I have always lived violently, drunk hugely, eaten too much or not at all, slept around the clock or missed two nights of sleeping, worked too hard and too long in glory, or slobbed for a time in utter laziness. I’ve lifted, pulled, chopped, climbed, made love with joy and taken my hangovers as a consequence, not as a punishment."
-- John Steinbeck
"Experience is one thing you can't get for nothing."
-- Oscar Wilde
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
-- Marcus Aurelius
"Now I'm off to check out Drew's dick."
-- MadPick

Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:16 am

Agreed...I think I am alright. I posted this for discussion, even though I don't have a resolution yet. Perhaps it can serve as some reference if it happens to
another person on the board.

Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:31 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In reading this "scenario", the guy wanted to transfer the firearms to his wife? As I understand one doesn't need to go through any transfer process.
Direct relative and all that. Unless she's a prohibited person what's the big deal? Just has to make sure the firearms accessible to the the prohibited individual.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:04 am

My ATF IOI seemed to think the hubby to wife switcharoo was not a good idea...

Last edited by 3584ELK on Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:14 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

3584ELK wrote:
My ATF IOI seemed to think the hibby to wife switcharoo was not a good idea...

Definitely not a good idea.

Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have a NTN and a proceed, and he has a CPL and did all he paperwork?

I'm not sure why you'd have any more involvement other than forward copies of paperwork to any of the authorities that would ask.

Sounds like it's everyone's business but yours at this point.

Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:21 am

I believe the same as you.

Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:30 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
3584ELK wrote:
My ATF IOI seemed to think the hibby to wife switcharoo was not a good idea...

Definitely not a good idea.

Care to elaborate? Since a "594 transfer" isn't required for direct family members what's the big deal other than keeping the prohibited person from "possessing" the firearms. If the wife has a safe and sole access?

There's a big difference between "not a good idea" and "Illegal". Opinions of those in Law enforcement really don't hold much sway if the law is specific.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:16 am

If you are an FFL, you were supposed to get training. Part of the training should have covered this. Repossession of the guns are up to the BATFE, to who you should have reported the incident. You also should have a contact at BATFE who you should be asking these questions, not on the internet forums.

Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:07 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next