Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:10 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 ATF sig brace laws? 

Guys anyone knows whats the latest on this as i want to take my pistol with a sig brace out to shoot and now am afraid i will break some new law that was issued without me knowing.
Also can we file for SBRs yet in WA?

Wed May 11, 2016 2:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can use the SIG Brace as designed. Avoid shouldering it (not designed).

For SBR - please look right under the WaGuns.org banner on top and see the COUNTDOWN for SBR

28 Days left

Wed May 11, 2016 3:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First, ATF doesn't make law, but rather uses law to craft regulations, which are essentially administrative rules that may or may not have the force of law. I think what they have put out about the Sig Brace is nothing more than guidance, which doesn't rise to the level of regulation, but they want people to think it does. I really don't think it would stand up to a court challenge. But in order for there to be a challenge, someone will have to be charged/prosecuted, and to my knowledge that has yet to happen.

In the end, it really doesn't matter what I or anyone else thinks. Just do what's comfortable for you, and don't do what's not comfortable. Either way, I doubt you'll run into any issues. thumbsup

Wed May 11, 2016 3:09 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

And I've read on this forum that some RSOs enforce the 'do not shoulder' interpretation at their ranges.
:shush:

Synopsis of Rules for Radicals: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/communism/alinsky.htm
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" - Bob Marley
104th Division Image Timberwolves

Wed May 11, 2016 5:01 pm
Profile WWW

thanks guys

Wed May 11, 2016 5:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I emailed TSC about brace usage there and never heard back. Just shoot in the woods and keep the camera off ya.

Wed May 11, 2016 6:24 pm

I was at TSC a week or 2 ago, members range. There was a gent with a 2 stamp .300 AR. The range officer told him that AR Pistols could not be fired at the rifle range, then he mentioned not being able to shoulder it either. The shooter informed him that it was a legal rifle and he had the paperwork. (I mentioned it was legal and a rifle, but don't know if the RSO heard it.)

They went back and forth a couple of times, and he was allowed to shoot. The shooter stated he was going to address the issue further with the board. To the RSO's credit, he admitted he was new at it, and was following the direction of the powers that be. I give him the benefit of the doubt that he knew he was uninformed, and listened to the shooters explanation. The shooter also did a good job, didn't get indignant or angry, and was professional about it.

My take on it is that they are watching for 'illegal' use like shouldering of pistols. My concern is those AR pistols will tear up that pistol range, and they'll ban rifle caliber pistols there period.

Fri May 13, 2016 5:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tonydec wrote:
I was at TSC a week or 2 ago, members range. There was a gent with a 2 stamp .300 AR. The range officer told him that AR Pistols could not be fired at the rifle range, then he mentioned not being able to shoulder it either. The shooter informed him that it was a legal rifle and he had the paperwork. (I mentioned it was legal and a rifle, but don't know if the RSO heard it.)

They went back and forth a couple of times, and he was allowed to shoot. The shooter stated he was going to address the issue further with the board. To the RSO's credit, he admitted he was new at it, and was following the direction of the powers that be. I give him the benefit of the doubt that he knew he was uninformed, and listened to the shooters explanation. The shooter also did a good job, didn't get indignant or angry, and was professional about it.

My take on it is that they are watching for 'illegal' use like shouldering of pistols. My concern is those AR pistols will tear up that pistol range, and they'll ban rifle caliber pistols there period.

Well that's their problem. If they don't want to keep up with the times --- rifle caliber pistols are hot these days --- people will shoot elsewhere. I don't need to pay to have someone play Daddy, checking to make sure he can see daylight between my brace and my shoulder.

The woods, they calleth...

Fri May 13, 2016 10:10 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

ESC also prohibits the shouldering of braces.

Sat May 14, 2016 6:09 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:

Interesting...

Sat May 14, 2016 12:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:

I would have to question any formal range not prohibiting the shouldering of these braces...

Sat May 14, 2016 12:28 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

oldkim wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:

I would have to question any formal range not prohibiting the shouldering of these braces...

Well . . . I dunno.

I guess I would expect a range to have a rule that requires that all firearms be legal. But beyond that . . . I don't think it's the range's business to VERIFY that they're legal.

I think it's bullshit when an RSO asks to see the tax stamp for a suppressor or an SBR. I don't expect an RSO to come and ask me to prove that I'm not a felon. I don't expect an RSO to come get my serial numbers and run them through hotgunz.

Similarly, I don't think an RSO should be out there checking for a gap between brace and shoulder. Even if you DO shoulder it, what's to say that it's not a legal SBR with a brace? If the RSO sees you shoulder a short-barreled rifle with a stock, should he ask to see a tax stamp?

Meh. Leave the legalities to the cops and the ATF. The RSO should just stick to "safety," as the name implies.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat May 14, 2016 12:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i think they think that they are culpable if they allow it so that fear of federal pound me in the ass prison probably takes hold of some RSO. Last time I was at ESC the RSO was telling someone that they need a stamp on their pistol for the shockwave blade. i have the letter with me that explains it's a stabilizing brace, once i produced that it became don't shoulder it. he wasn't doing it to be an ass, it was with good intentions.

Sat May 14, 2016 12:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Madpick wrote:
Leave the legalities to the cops and the ATF. The RSO should just stick to "safety," as the name implies.

Amen to that.

Sun May 15, 2016 7:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
Madpick wrote:
Leave the legalities to the cops and the ATF. The RSO should just stick to "safety," as the name implies.

Amen to that.

On one hand I totally agree but the reality of range RSO is that they are very "vested" in their range...
Therefore, protecting it from any negative or possible repercussions is key.

No one want's to get into trouble and become the focus of investigations and such.
No one in their right mind would want that for their club.

If you don't belong to a club... I can see the "who cares... attitude (your not vested into anything).

Its like if your family was suddenly injured. Oh, sorry dude... but if it's your family that was injured... then it suddenly hits home.

People take pictures and it's recorded and people do the darnedest things at ranges and while shooting.
I think this issue of shouldering these is pretty common knowledge so why shoulder it (in a public range)?

Sun May 15, 2016 10:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next