Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:51 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 ATF sig brace laws? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
oldkim wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:
ESC also prohibits the shouldering of braces.

I would have to question any formal range not prohibiting the shouldering of these braces...

Well . . . I dunno.

I guess I would expect a range to have a rule that requires that all firearms be legal. But beyond that . . . I don't think it's the range's business to VERIFY that they're legal.

I think it's bullshit when an RSO asks to see the tax stamp for a suppressor or an SBR. I don't expect an RSO to come and ask me to prove that I'm not a felon. I don't expect an RSO to come get my serial numbers and run them through hotgunz.

Similarly, I don't think an RSO should be out there checking for a gap between brace and shoulder. Even if you DO shoulder it, what's to say that it's not a legal SBR with a brace? If the RSO sees you shoulder a short-barreled rifle with a stock, should he ask to see a tax stamp?

Meh. Leave the legalities to the cops and the ATF. The RSO should just stick to "safety," as the name implies.

:plusone:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun May 15, 2016 10:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is muddling the waters...

We're talking about SIG Braces.
I agree about the SBR and Form 1 firearms, suppressors, etc. That requires checking paperwork, etc
Which I would say the vast majority of RSO don't even know what they would be looking at...

But when you see a brace being shouldered... no paperwork is needed.
Most of the RSO know... just merely by being into firearms and hearing and talking about firearms and even the range may have put out a "notice" or guideline to them...

Again... why do it in public?

Sun May 15, 2016 10:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's not the RSO's place to enforce ATF rules any more than it's the ATF's place to enforce range rules. If someone wants to shoulder his Sig brace, legal or not, then that's between him and the ATF.

Mon May 16, 2016 12:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
If someone wants to shoulder his Sig brace, legal or not, then that's between him and the ATF.

Unfortunately, the realities are that NO range wants to be in the middle... Avoiding any "spotlight" or being any part of any events... like ND - negligent discharge, rounds leaving the range, ATF investigations or "attention".

If anyone wants to shoulder their brace... how about you do it in the privacy of your own range and/or between nature and yourself. Not at a public range.

Mon May 16, 2016 12:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not against the ranges enforcing the ATF ruling. I just don't need the drama and babysitting to make sure I don't break a rule that has zero to do with safety or smooth operation of the range. I've never brought my "Brace-nikov" to a range and probably never will.

Mon May 16, 2016 2:57 pm

Guns4Liberty wrote:
It's not the RSO's place to enforce ATF rules any more than it's the ATF's place to enforce range rules. If someone wants to shoulder his Sig brace, legal or not, then that's between him and the ATF.

True, but a range can be placed at risk if it's found they allow illegal activities to occur on their property.

Tue May 31, 2016 11:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When all the fuse broke out last year about the brace and legality this article came out

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/0 ... -is-legal/

Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2