Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:57 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 WA CPL and reciprocity with other states 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi guys,
I've been license in WA state for about 20 years now and my son is off to college in fall 2017.
The states I will be traveling through quite often in the next 5 years are as follows:
Oregon, Idaho (has Reciprocity with WA state) Nevada, Colorado and Utah.

How do I go about getting permitted to legally carry a firearm in my truck in these states?

Wed May 18, 2016 9:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry ... _maps.html

You've got a sticky situation. WA will only get you reciprocity with Idaho and Utah. Nevada, Oregon, and Colorado are the sticky ones. You will need an OR non-resident, and probably two others. I don't know NV or CO off the top of my head.

You say "carry in my truck". You should be able to transport through all those states if unloaded and not accessible to you.

Wed May 18, 2016 9:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

joao01 wrote:
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

You've got a sticky situation. WA will only get you reciprocity with Idaho and Utah. Nevada, Oregon, and Colorado are the sticky ones. You will need an OR non-resident, and probably two others. I don't know NV or CO off the top of my head.

You say "carry in my truck". You should be able to transport through all those states if unloaded and not accessible to you.

I'm thinking carrying it in a TSA-compliant hard case under lock and key, and this case cable locked to the vehicle floor. Essentially the only place I would consider storing it would be in the center console with ammunition/mags stored in a separate location, like locked glove box....

Wed May 18, 2016 9:50 am

I would be looking at the black powder regs in the states that you plan on traveling through to see if it would be better that way. Many states do not consider BP a firearm and six shots from a BP is better than nothing.

Wed May 18, 2016 10:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hartcreek wrote:
I would be looking at the black powder regs in the states that you plan on traveling through to see if it would be better that way. Many states do not consider BP a firearm and six shots from a BP is better than nothing.

Assuming you can see anything after the first shot :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu May 19, 2016 6:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can always get a nonresident permit for Oregon and Nevada.

Thu May 19, 2016 6:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mike in Wa wrote:

Really?
Can I do that online or at the Sheriff's dept locally? (like where I renew my CPL every 4 years)

Thu May 19, 2016 11:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mike in Wa wrote:

One caveat with non-resident permits, many states will honor permits from those states ONLY if the bearer of the permit is a resident. In short, they won't honor non-resident permits even though the issuing state will.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu May 19, 2016 12:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

for Nevada, you have to go to Nevada in person, take a course, go to the sheriff's office in person to pay, fingerprint, etc., and then it'll take 60-90 days.

Thu May 19, 2016 2:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A sheriff from OR comes up to a couple of gun shows in Pierce county twice a year to do OR CPLs. Do NOT pay someone for an OR accepted class! You can do this class online for free:
http://www.waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=36788

Thu May 19, 2016 4:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
Mike in Wa wrote:

One caveat with non-resident permits, many states will honor permits from those states ONLY if the bearer of the permit is a resident. In short, they won't honor non-resident permits even though the issuing state will.

Oregon doesn't honor Nevada's resident permit and visa versa which is why I said and instead of or.

Fri May 20, 2016 1:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
A sheriff from OR comes up to a couple of gun shows in Pierce county twice a year to do OR CPLs. Do NOT pay someone for an OR accepted class! You can do this class online for free:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=36788

Thank you.
I live in Pierce Co. Do you know if they announce what show they'll be at? And the date, location?

Wed May 25, 2016 6:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:
http://www.waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=36788

Thank you.
I live in Pierce Co. Do you know if they announce what show they'll be at? And the date, location?

Next time should be around October give or take. Just keep an eye on the forum here.

Wed May 25, 2016 1:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a non resident for or through columbia co very nice people to work with. As for Nevada a non resident Arizona permit will work for them and can be obtained through the mail.

As for Colorado they only accept resident permits so no dice with them. But they are an open carry state. I have not looked to see if they offer non resident permits or not.

Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]