Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:01 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 How Laws Are Made In Washington 

If anyone has the time, I think it would be good to know how laws are made in WA, (for those of us new people who don't know). All the talk of, "Initiatives", gets a bit confusing. :patriot: I guess we have those here too ...

In IL a bill is brought to either the house or senate, goes to committee. If the people in committee like it after all the discussion and testimony, (Or if the Speaker or President tell them they like it), it goes back to the originating body for a first reading. After it's been read three times on different days, I think, and no amendments are pasted on, the leader of the body, (Senate President or House Speaker), if they like it or not. If they don't like it, no vote - bill dies. If amendments are added, it goes back to committee and the whole thing starts again. If the originating body passes the bill, it goes on to the other body. If passed goes to the Gov.

I probably forgot a few things, but it's a basic sense of what it is. Anyway ...

P.S. Does Washington have an NRA Lobbyist in the General Assembly?

"Do what you can with what you've got!" Burt Gummer

Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:46 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

In WA we have this procedure:

http://leg.wa.gov/legislature/Pages/Bill2Law.aspx
Quote:
1 - A bill may be introduced in either the Senate or House of Representatives by a member.
2 - It is referred to a committee for a hearing. The committee studies the bill and may hold public hearings on it. It can then pass, reject, or take no action on the bill.
3 - The committee report on the passed bill is read in open session of the House or Senate, and the bill is then referred to the Rules Committee.
4 - The Rules Committee can either place the bill on the second reading calendar for debate before the entire body, or take no action.
5 - At the second reading, a bill is subject to debate and amendment before being placed on the third reading calendar for final passage.
6 - After passing one house, the bill goes through the same procedure in the other house.
7 - If amendments are made in the other house, the first house must approve the changes.
8 - When the bill is accepted in both houses, it is signed by the respective leaders and sent to the governor.
9 - The governor signs the bill into law or may veto all or part of it. If the governor fails to act on the bill, it may become law without a signature.

But, we also have our initiative process, which takes over for the above items:
https://ballotpedia.org/Laws_governing_ ... Washington

Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:19 am
Profile WWW

Massivedesign wrote:

Quote:
1 - A bill may be introduced in either the Senate or House of Representatives by a member.
2 - It is referred to a committee for a hearing. The committee studies the bill and may hold public hearings on it. It can then pass, reject, or take no action on the bill.
3 - The committee report on the passed bill is read in open session of the House or Senate, and the bill is then referred to the Rules Committee.
4 - The Rules Committee can either place the bill on the second reading calendar for debate before the entire body, or take no action.
5 - At the second reading, a bill is subject to debate and amendment before being placed on the third reading calendar for final passage.
6 - After passing one house, the bill goes through the same procedure in the other house.
7 - If amendments are made in the other house, the first house must approve the changes.
8 - When the bill is accepted in both houses, it is signed by the respective leaders and sent to the governor.
9 - The governor signs the bill into law or may veto all or part of it. If the governor fails to act on the bill, it may become law without a signature.

Thank you for your time and the information!

So, if I understand it correctly, if an initiative gets the minimum number of signatures and votes, it just, "Happens", without having to go through the legislature at all?

Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:05 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Talonap wrote:
. . . if an initiative gets the minimum number of signatures and votes, it just, "Happens", without having to go through the legislature at all?

I think the Leg has an opportunity to either pass it as is or refer it to the voters, but I don't remember when that option can be exercised.

Synopsis of Rules for Radicals: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/communism/alinsky.htm
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" - Bob Marley
104th Division Image Timberwolves

Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:15 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Talonap wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:

Quote:

Thank you for your time and the information!

So, if I understand it correctly, if an initiative gets the minimum number of signatures and votes, it just, "Happens", without having to go through the legislature at all?

I think the Legislature can overturn or amend with 2/3s majority within first two years.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:17 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Somehow I always envisioned a large group of chimpanzees drinking their own piss and throwing feces at each other.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
Somehow I always envisioned a large group of chimpanzees drinking their own piss and throwing feces at each other.

Im sure its something kinda like that.

Doesn't the Governor have to sign the initiative if it gets voted for in the affirmative? Or is that totally not a thing? If not it should be. It would potentially halt the stupid in some cases.

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:28 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Talonap wrote:

Not exactly. If it has enough signatures, then the leg has the choice to pass it, or kick it to the people for a ballot vote. The leg can amend the initiative/bill and send that out as well, along side the original initiative.

If it goes to a public vote, and passes, then that's it.. No leg involved, Gov signs it and she goes into effect xx days after signature.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:56 pm
Profile WWW

Does Washington have an NRA Lobbyist? Il does and he is great! Don't think we would have cc without him.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Talonap wrote:
Does Washington have an NRA Lobbyist? Il does and he is great! Don't think we would have cc without him.

Yes, and the very powerful Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) is headquartered here. The SAF was one of the plaintiffs in McDonald v. Chicago.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case ... as_vis=1#r[4]

Quote:
The Supreme Court reversed the Seventh Circuit, holding that the Fourteenth Amendment makes the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms for the purpose of self-defense applicable to the states. With Justice Samuel A. Alito writing for the majority, the Court reasoned that rights that are "fundamental to the Nation's scheme of ordered liberty" or that are "deeply rooted in this Nation's history and tradition" are appropriately applied to the states through the Fourteenth Amendment. The Court recognized in Heller that the right to self-defense was one such "fundamental" and "deeply rooted" right. The Court reasoned that because of its holding in Heller, the Second Amendment applied to the states. Here, the Court remanded the case to the Seventh Circuit to determine whether Chicago's handgun ban violated an individual's right to keep and bear arms for self-defense.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DocNugent wrote:
Talonap wrote:
. . . if an initiative gets the minimum number of signatures and votes, it just, "Happens", without having to go through the legislature at all?

I think the Leg has an opportunity to either pass it as is or refer it to the voters, but I don't remember when that option can be exercised.

They can also propose an alternative initiative, but the existing one stays on the ballot as written.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How Are Laws Made In Washington?

FTFY

But, yeah money and a blender for $100, Alex.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]