Switch to full style
Current and Upcoming Legislation. Local, State and Federal.

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.
Post a reply

what does loaded rifle mean in RCW

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:52 am

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.15.460

For transport, If I understand correctly, I cannot have a magazine in the well, even if the chamber is empty, correct?

From what I gather, there is no requirement for the rifle to be out of reach, correct? (it will be in a case anyway)

Re: what does loaded rifle mean in RCW

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:12 am

This statement is worth noting

(5) For purposes of subsection (1) of this section, a rifle or shotgun shall not be considered loaded if the detachable clip or magazine is not inserted in or attached to the rifle or shotgun.

For those who have a "Redi-Mag" device (that holds a magazine next to the magazine well) or any other magazine holder attached to the weapon, it would appear to most who read the above (including police) that the weapon is loaded.

As for it being out of reach, no requirement. With the exception above there is no requirement that the ammunition be in a separate location.

With a AR one can carry it in a vehicle with the bolt locked back and a magazine within reach. By the time you exit the vehicle a magazine can be inserted, the bolt released, and ready to go. If you take the law re: long guns and vehicles at it's face you technically can't fire it from within the vehicle although I'm sure one could use Self Defense as an affirmative defense should it come to that.

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:18 am

deadshot2 wrote:This statement is worth noting

(5) For purposes of subsection (1) of this section, a rifle or shotgun shall not be considered loaded if the detachable clip or magazine is not inserted in or attached to the rifle or shotgun.

For those who have a "Redi-Mag" device (that holds a magazine next to the magazine well) or any other magazine holder attached to the weapon, it would appear to most who read the above (including police) that the weapon is loaded.

As for it being out of reach, no requirement. With the exception above there is no requirement that the ammunition be in a separate location.

With a AR one can carry it in a vehicle with the bolt locked back and a magazine within reach. By the time you exit the vehicle a magazine can be inserted, the bolt released, and ready to go. If you take the law re: long guns and vehicles at it's face you technically can't fire it from within the vehicle although I'm sure one could use Self Defense as an affirmative defense should it come to that.

Thanks for pointing that out. I have mag carrier clips on one of my carbine stocks. Guess I'll make sure they are empty when transporting...

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:20 am

what about shotgun shells in a side saddle? Would that make a shotgun "loaded" since the rounds are on it?

Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:39 am

joao01 wrote:what about shotgun shells in a side saddle? Would that make a shotgun "loaded" since the rounds are on it?

I believe a literal translation of the definition I posted makes those legal. The side-saddle is not a magazine and the shot shells have to be removed from it, then loaded one at a time.

I carry a shotgun with a side-saddle on it in my truck from time to time. I also have a copy of this definition in my truck console for any officer that cares to read it. Never have had to use that copy yet but it may well come in handy if I do get stopped.
Post a reply