Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:19 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 SCOTUS affirms DV misdemeanors disqualify 2A rights 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/sup ... ic-n599816

Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:01 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I am confused by this part of the story :

Quote:
Voisine pleaded guilty to assault in 2004 after slapping his girlfriend in the face while he was intoxicated. Several years later, an anonymous caller reported that he had shot a bald eagle with a rifle. He was then convicted under the gun law and sentenced to a year in prison.

While I don't agree with .Gov interfering with what I see as Natural Rights or God-given Rights, I admit that I have lived in Mayberry most of my life.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:46 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

They made a point on the radio awhile back:
How can you lose a constitutional right over a misdemeanor?
Why just the 2nd?

Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
Why just the 2nd?

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
Why just the 2nd?

I'd like to know this as well. DV is a bad, bad thing, but it rubs me the wrong way that someone can lose a constitutional right over a misdemeanor.

Also, the anonymous caller bothers me. A lot. Some one makes an anonymous accusation and dude goes down? WTF? What happened to the right to face your accuser?

Quote:
The justices rejected arguments that the law covers only intentional or knowing acts of abuse and not those committed recklessly — where a person is aware of the risk that an act will cause injury, but not certain it will. As examples, the court mentioned throwing a plate in the heat of an argument, or slamming a door.

This reminds me of a friend of mine. Years ago, he and his g/f were having a drunken argument. He went outside to smoke, and she decided she didn't want him to come back inside, so she blocked the door. He, being drunk, didn't realize that she was on the other side of the door blocking it, just thought it was stuck, so he kicked it. Door flew open, hitting her and causing minor injury. She freaks, calls the cops. He now has a DV conviction. Is he a dangerous criminal who shouldn't be trusted with guns? No, but he's legally barred from owning them.

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

Yolo: Because idiots don't know what "carpe diem" means.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:45 am
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

If it happened in WA and was a misdemeanor, he can probably have it vacated and his firearm rights restored.
http://www.washingtonlawhelp.org/files/ ... 9911en.pdf

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In recent years, I've begun to wonder a lot about why voting rights and 2A rights are stripped from people who didn't commit voter fraud or a violent/gun related crime...seems like if these people served their debt to society than they should get back all of their rights - automatically upon release, no fuss/no muss.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:58 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Used to have that in WA.
Only lost your gun rights over a 'serious' or 'violent felony'.
That ended after the Lautenberg Amendment and NICS.

In WA felons can vote after they are no longer under supervision (took their required classes, paid their fines and fees, no real parole in this state).
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=29A.08.520

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And this shit pisses me off.

Yes there are plenty of abusers out there. But to simply have your rights taken because of a misdemeanor crime is bullshit. I know plenty of people that have DV records because they yelled at a (ex)wife and she felt "threatened" even though she admitted under oath that he never called her a name or threatened to harm her.

I know someone else who was arrested and charged with DV because his step child who was in high school was screaming at his mother and the guy walked up and popped the kid a good one in the face. Bio-daddy called the cops when he found out.

For the record. And I don't talk about this shit much. In March of 2010, I was arrested for attempted murder, agrivated assault, Assault with a deadly weapon, domestic violence(felony charge).

I was 20 years old. It was evening time. 24 hours prior I was in a 3rd world shithole counting down the hours till we got to get on the plane. My wife didn't know what day I was suppose to be home as I wanted to surprise her.

I came home to a naked man on my couch. When the cops tasered me. I was on top of the guy literally beating the life out of him. He down over a week in ICU, and had to have several major reconstructive surgeries. The judge ended up dropping all of the charges against me, except for the domestic violence charge. Which was caused by her trying to grab me, during the fray, and I busted up her nose with my elbow. I do not remember any of it. The last thing I remember was his face. The look of terror in his eyes the moment my door swung open. The next thing I knew I was in an ambulance.

Almost a year of fighting the system, a ton of my money gone, and attending "anger management" classes. And my charges where dismissed. The day I got to walk back into the armory and pull my rifle was the best feeling I had experienced in some time.

The fucking DV system is a joke

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:50 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

How is this the guys fault, unless he was a friend of yours?
Apparently your wife invited him over.

Soldier_Citizen wrote:

I came home to a naked man on my couch. When the cops tasered me. I was on top of the guy literally beating the life out of him. He down over a week in ICU, and had to have several major reconstructive surgeries.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:

Soldier_Citizen wrote:

I came home to a naked man on my couch. When the cops tasered me. I was on top of the guy literally beating the life out of him. He down over a week in ICU, and had to have several major reconstructive surgeries.

You could have called him a friend of ours. He was a friend of her sisters. We hung out a few times at some bbqs and such

Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
Soldier_Citizen wrote:

Pretty much guaranteed he wasn't thinking about fault.

He was just thinking...

NAKED MAN ON COUCH, MUST KILL NOW!!!

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]