Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:34 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Sending a pistol to myself 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey all, I am here in GA right now but might be going back to WA for a short time for some business. The question is, can I send my carry pistol back to my home in WA via mail or FedEx, or does it need to go through an FFL? I am thinking about not checking a bag on the trip and thought I heard about being able to send guns to yourself. Might be wrong. If you happen to have links to the law that would be awesome. I'm not having any success on Google for once.

Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:12 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm quite certain that you can, but I don't have any links to offer you.

A couple of other things:
- You can't send it by US Mail if you're not an FFL holder. You'll need to use UPS or FedEx.
- With UPS or FedEx, you'll need to send it overnight, so it'll probably cost you a bunch of money, probably north of $50 somewhere, maybe $75.

I'd just check the bag. :bigsmile:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:36 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

You can mail long guns to yourself. I doubt you will find a common carrier that will ship your handgun to a non license holder.

The last time I shipped a pistol was two years ago, UPS, to a FFL in the Chicago area and it was about $100 and they required it to be overnight.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:40 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

why not airport and fly it with you?

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=54
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68560&hilit=airport

Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:44 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Yes, you may ship to yourself.

Good links here straight from ATF : https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/unlicensed-persons

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-non ... l-activity

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-non ... ct-carrier

I don't remember a requirement to ship overnight. Source for that?

ETA :
https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resou ... earms.html
Quote:
Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment
Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air® Early, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®. (Note: UPS Express Critical™ Service is not available for firearms).

I expect Steve is right about other carriers too... :cheers2:

Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My understanding is all handguns have to be declared prior to ship which stems from ATF regulation. Any serial numbered receiver also counts as a firearm.

Have never shipped firearms with FedEx but have been to UPS lots of times. UPS only allows shipment of handguns from depot locations. None of the UPS storefront locations or affiliates are allowed to accept firearms for shipment.

The overnight requirement stems from UPS policy, not ATF regulation. My understanding is the policy stems from a history of firearm thefts by UPS employees while the guns were in transit. Apparently the company feels that there is a lower likelihood of this happening if handguns are only in transit for a short time. It's a stupefying policy as long guns can ship via regular service.

Gets expensive quickly as even next day saver rates can easily run $70-$80 or more just for shipment charges. Insurance is on top of that.

I've only ever shipped handguns to licensed gunsmiths for repair or maintenance which is explicitly allowed by the GCA and ATF regulations. In my experience, the UPS depot personnel always want to see a copy of the recipient's FFL. The gunsmiths I've worked with have always emailed an electronic copy once we reach an agreement for services.

Some depot personnel are savvy to ATF regulations, others are not. It's a real crap shoot depending on who's standing behind the counter when you walk in.

Might be cheaper and a lot less hassle to just declare a firearm in checked baggage at the airport. I've never been through that process so can't offer any advice there.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One other thing to consider. In my past experience at the UPS Service Depot in Tumwater, the counter staff always ask to confirm that the handgun is unloaded and also have explained that ammunition can not be mailed in the same box. Something to keep in mind since then you are looking at shipping two packages.

My personal thought is I would declare your handgun at the airport and ship via checked baggage. At least there you'll be working with airline personnel and Homeland Security personnel well versed in the regulations and who deal with concealed carriers on a daily basis.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:25 am

GeekWithGuns wrote:
One other thing to consider. In my past experience at the UPS Service Depot in Tumwater, the counter staff always ask to confirm that the handgun is unloaded and also have explained that ammunition can not be mailed in the same box. Something to keep in mind since then you are looking at shipping two packages.

My personal thought is I would declare your handgun at the airport and ship via checked baggage. At least there you'll be working with airline personnel and Homeland Security personnel well versed in the regulations and who deal with concealed carriers on a daily basis.

Don't bet on it...the same idiots that work at UPS and USPS also populate the TSA ranks. Typically the TSA rep will take you to secure area with your handgun case, call in the airport cop, and have you open and show the gun is unloaded. They slip a label inside and have you lock it and keep the key. Then you are on your way. It can be fun watching airport police try and rack the slide on a 1911 with the safety on... :bigsmile:

Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:56 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

3584ELK wrote:
GeekWithGuns wrote:

Don't bet on it...the same idiots that work at UPS and USPS also populate the TSA ranks. Typically the TSA rep will take you to secure area with your handgun case, call in the airport cop, and have you open and show the gun is unloaded. They slip a label inside and have you lock it and keep the key. Then you are on your way. It can be fun watching airport police try and rack the slide on a 1911 with the safety on... :bigsmile:

Interesting. I've flown several times and they have never asked me to open the locked container that the gun is in. They swab it for some reason, have you sign something saying it's unloaded and send you on your way. Usually takes 2 minutes. But in some of the smaller airports, I've had to sit and wait while they find the officer who is in charge of this process.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:45 am

Yes, perhaps the secret procedure has changed- my experience occurred in 2013. No doubt the Threat Level went from tangerine orange to pink magenta and caused a change in process.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:08 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

3584ELK wrote:
Yes, perhaps the secret procedure has changed- my experience occurred in 2013. No doubt the Threat Level went from tangerine orange to pink magenta and caused a change in process.

I prefer my threat level at blue steel.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:31 am

Well, that joke went way overhead...

Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:44 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]