Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:55 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Oregon trespass laws (no guns signs) 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm arguing with someone on the internet (sound familiar?) about the force of "no gun" signs in Oregon.

He claims that you can be arrested for trespassing if you ignore a "no gun" sign, a "no shirt no shoes no service" sign, a "no outside food" sign.

From my read, OR law is same as WA in that the agent of the property (if the property is open to the public) has to give you a lawful directive removing your license and privilege to be there and then you can only be charged if you fail to leave.

Any definitive answer on this that doesn't come from handgunlaw or a gun related web site?
(eg case law, sheriff web site)

I suggested he call the police in OR, but of course he claims "the police get things wrong all the time" which is true to a point.

Last edited by ANZAC on Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:18 pm

If you're arguing with an idiot, you've already lost.

I would think case law would be more important than a lay person's interpretation in this case.

Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:frust: :cussing: :blackcloud1: :bonghit: :ROFLMAO: :popcorn:

Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.mcso.us/profiles/pdf/chl_faq.pdf

The best I can do right now. This is the mult. County sheriffs application permit. Basically reads the same as washingtons. The "private businesses" that have conditions pertaining to carry are any of your alcohol(bars) or marijuana type shops. I'm not sure about carry into say like a liquor store. But the signs in Oregon unless the sign specifies the OR penal code as to why it is prohibited to have a firearm on the sight, you won't be arrested unless you are trespassed and refuse to leave.

Good luck you bull headed bastard

Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Soldier_Citizen wrote:

The best I can do right now. This is the mult. County sheriffs application permit. Basically reads the same as washingtons. The "private businesses" that have conditions pertaining to carry are any of your alcohol(bars) or marijuana type shops. I'm not sure about carry into say like a liquor store. But the signs in Oregon unless the sign specifies the OR penal code as to why it is prohibited to have a firearm on the sight, you won't be arrested unless you are trespassed and refuse to leave.

Right on both counts. Unfortunately the language there is a bit vague.

btw this guy is an east coast hyper-liberal lawyer. I suggested he read the case law or call the OR police or an Oregon lawyer but apparently he doesn't need to because he's decided you can be arrested for a felony if you ignore a sign that says "no outside food or drink".

Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
Soldier_Citizen wrote:

btw this guy is an east coast hyper-liberal lawyer. I suggested he read the case law or call the OR police or an Oregon lawyer but apparently he doesn't need to because he's decided you can be arrested for a felony if you ignore a sign that says "no outside food or drink".

In some places in the east coast that's basically how it is... Kinda like we somewhat think that unless its specifically stated as illegal.... It's not illegal

Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Soldier_Citizen wrote:
ANZAC wrote:
Soldier_Citizen wrote:

In some places in the east coast that's basically how it is... Kinda like we somewhat think that unless its specifically stated as illegal.... It's not illegal

That was my point - might be true where you live, it isn't out here. OR and WA trespass law seem very similar.

The only difference I can see is WA have a specific misdemeanor presence law, meaning that you can't be arrested for a misdemeanor unless an officer sees it.
OR does not. Interestingly he started labelling me an NRA sympathizer (what an insult!)

There was a "man with a gun" report at my daughter's private college. Other parents were asking if the man was located and arrested. I was pointing out that maybe he hadn't broken any laws strolling through a big open campus with a gun perhaps in a holster not threatening anyone, and that a "no gun" campus is really a desire and a policy, not a statement of law or fact.

Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bwahahahaha he called you an nra supporter?!

I fucking choked on my coffee. This man obviously have never talked to you before today! :bigsmile:

Now college campus carry I'm not well versed on because I'm too dumb for school. I know elementary and middle/high school.

Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Soldier_Citizen wrote:
Bwahahahaha he called you an nra supporter?!

I fucking choked on my coffee. This man obviously have never talked to you before today! :bigsmile:

Now college campus carry I'm not well versed on because I'm too dumb for school. I know elementary and middle/high school.

There's typically no state or federal laws regarding guns on private or public colleges.

Aren't I the best person to be arguing with antis? A NRA hating democrat!

Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very humorous. Almost made my day

Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]