Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:57 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Admitting Defeat 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm told it's legal to carry in a Washington state courtroom.

I've found http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300, which says to me that you can't carry in a courtroom.

If I'm wrong, I want to know it.

I've been searching here for a discussion, and can't find one about carrying a weapon in a Washington courtroom.

What should I be searching for?

Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Weapons prohibited in certain places—Local laws and ordinances—Exceptions—Penalty.
(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:
(a) The restricted access areas of a jail, or of a law enforcement facility, or any place used for the confinement of a person (i) arrested for, charged with, or convicted of an offense, (ii) held for extradition or as a material witness, or (iii) otherwise confined pursuant to an order of a court, except an order under chapter 13.32A or 13.34 RCW. Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress or ingress open to the general public;
(b) Those areas in any building which are used in connection with court proceedings, including courtrooms, jury rooms, judge's chambers, offices and areas used to conduct court business, waiting areas, and corridors adjacent to areas used in connection with court proceedings.

The law is pretty clear (to most anyway).

What is there to discuss?

Only exceptions are LEO's, Security Personnel and Corrections Officers there on official business (like guarding the courtroom or prisoners).

Like I said, laws pretty clear and even people with limited comprehension skills understand it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a misunderstanding going on. You can carry into the court HOUSE not the court ROOM. When I renew my cpl I carry but BEFORE I go through the metal detector I let the officer know. They then lock it up and it is returned when I leave

It was a Night Op in the library with an AK Pistol by TW...

Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:31 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

lionhrt wrote:
There is a misunderstanding going on. You can carry into the court HOUSE not the court ROOM. When I renew my cpl I carry but BEFORE I go through the metal detector I let the officer know. They then lock it up and it is returned when I leave

Areas outside of the courtroom would fall under the 'common areas of ingress and egress' exemption.

"Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress or ingress open to the general public"

Some facilities (Like Thurston County) won't even let you past the door. They do have lock boxes though. Others have much more 'free' courthouses but the law is clear either way - not in the courtROOM.

Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, I see. Courthouse vs. courtroom.

Thanks, Lionhrt.

Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very well worded sucka.... And those are some cool dogs are they yours? Np Jammer. Where they print us here in Skagit the area is next to some of the courtrooms which is why we have to disarm

It was a Night Op in the library with an AK Pistol by TW...

Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You said CourtHOUSE in your first sentence. Totally legal. Did mention a courtROOM, but after you said it was illegal to even carry into the courthouse.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure the metal detectors at King Co. CourtHOUSE are immediately inside the doors of both entrances.
Has there been a change in the past couple years? It's been awhile since I had business there.

Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My mistake. Good catch, Jagerbomber.

I'll pay much closer attention in classes, and use it to trap new shooters. You'll make me sound like an instructing god. :bow:

Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Court houses required to provide lock boxes. I know Thurston County does.

Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]