Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:33 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post I-594 bummer 

So today I went to comply with I-594 with a person-to-person transfer. It was to trade one pistol for another. No cash involved. Well, except for the TWO transfer fees which the dealer gladly took. And kept. We both have WA CPLs and DLs and filled out the fancy electronic forms. After quite a long wait, both myself and the other guy were told that we had both had our transactions put "on hold". Not denied. Not approved. Just a sort of...what? A "maybe"?!? WTF. So I had to leave without my old pistol, nor my new pistol, and definately without the transfer fee. But as there really wasn't a transfer...well...

Anyway, I've always been a bit of a scofflaw. And after todays FUBAR I feel comforted by all those times that well, let's just say that may have been some amount of coloring outside the lines.

Last edited by politegunsel on Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What shop? It's either proceed/delay/deny so I'm curious what was going on.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:24 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

On hold is a delay. It's not the shops fault, it's NICS backlogged or having system issues. That sucks though. Something about a right delayed is a right denied....

Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:25 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
a right delayed is a right denied....

This

Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:03 am

The exact wording I received was "...on hold." But I assume that the clerk meant "delay". All in all it make me once again that I am over 60 and spent most of my life either enjoying freedoms now lost or being able to relocate to an area where those fredoms still existed. I greatly feel for those younger whose life ahead will only see decreasing liberty and eventually have no options to seek out freer locales.

Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:59 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

politegunsel wrote:
The exact wording I received was "...on hold." But I assume that the clerk meant "delay". All in all it make me once again that I am over 60 and spent most of my life either enjoying freedoms now lost or being able to relocate to an area where those fredoms still existed. I greatly feel for those younger whose life ahead will only see decreasing liberty and eventually have no options to seek out freer locales.

The world has changed in ways that I did not expect. I was one of those who was confident in our system of government and the inherent goodness and sincerity of our elected representatives. The blinders came off after Sandy Hook. Liberty as the Founding Fathers thought of it is under siege inside a prison cell. We're already there in that cell, now it looks like endgame.

I feel a little differently... I wish that I was younger so that I had more time and strength to fight the tyranny and erosion of our rights. I feel that the last few generations have let the future citizens of the USA down... we have failed to keep the understanding of those rights fresh in the minds of the youth.
I've apologized to my own children for the terrible condition that we have left this country in, and encourage them to push back. "Do not go gentle into that good night"...

594 is a failure on every level imaginable. Except at the feel good ballot box.

Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:47 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Hopefully they gave you a date when you could come and pick it up.
Some FFL's won't release the firearm until they get a 'Proceed' which may never come.
Not sure what happens then if both parties were delayed.
Keep calling NICS?

Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:57 am

I was assured by the dealer that after a certain number of days (4?) that I could come in and pick up the pistol. Only a "Deny" response from the Feds would stop the transfer. This was the first time ever since "background checks" came into being that I experienced anything like this. And I have bought a LOT of firearms in my life :bigsmile: Having grown up in a full on "gun culture" family, I have been aware of the ever increasing oppression against citizen ownship and use of firearms my whole life. Well, I'm hoping for a semi-good ending to this tale. And fully expect, and am prepared for things to get worse. My grandpa (and I'm in my 60s!) was a avid gun enthusiast, a big game hunter (safari to Africa in the 1920s!) and definitely a hard core "scofflaw". And though he had a few close calls, he never got nabbed!

Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What time did you go to the dealer? I have a theory that BGC's after end of the day east coast time always get delayed if there's even the smallest thing for them to look at.

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
What time did you go to the dealer? I have a theory that BGC's after end of the day east coast time always get delayed if there's even the smallest thing for them to look at.

Don't think the time matters. Cabelas sells up to 9 pm (12 am EST).

Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:19 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

ANZAC wrote:

I have never gotten delayed and any gun I've bought from a dealer has always been after the end of the day EST. Example, last week after 8pm PST when I bought a rifle at Cabelas. No delay.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:10 pm
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I've done one post 594 transfer.
Got a delay, had to come back 15 days later to pick my gun up since NICS never called back.
WCA in Factoria, they have the pickup date automatically printed on your receipt.

Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The new NICS system is a joke.

Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ppsh41 wrote:
The new NICS system is a joke.

And apparently it didn't happen accidentally.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
ANZAC wrote:

Don't think the time matters. Cabelas sells up to 9 pm (12 am EST).

I'm not saying they won't process them, I just seem to notice more delays when you buy later in the day.

Never been delayed with the e-check/instant/online computer thing. Always get delayed by phone.

Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next