Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:57 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Nationwide CCW Reciprocity - Probably not a good thing... 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMO, we still have states rights. IMO, traveling to Oregon and California I should be able to with my WA permit, but I need to know where I can and can't while in CA. I'll have to know if there is a duty to inform LEO when stopped, can I carry at an outdoor concert...whatever.

Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

reginald_burrito wrote:

....Otherwise, we'll still need to read up on the carry laws every time we cross into another state to see what legal minutiae or technicality can get us tossed in jail. Nothing accomplished....

Excellent point. Guess an acceptable minimum standard would need to be established.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

joao01 wrote:
IMO, we still have states rights. IMO, traveling to Oregon and California I should be able to with my WA permit, but I need to know where I can and can't while in CA. I'll have to know if there is a duty to inform LEO when stopped, can I carry at an outdoor concert...whatever.

Ah. Ok, I am starting to see an error in doing it the way I assumed it would be done.

As in... When you go to california, will your CPL be good, as per feds... BUT... You have to be aware of all the local and state laws they have there, and carry accordingly? Good point!

Or do they, just make all CPLs the same, when it comes to over state line carry? Etc...

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
joao01 wrote:

Ah. Ok, I am starting to see an error in doing it the way I assumed it would be done.

As in... When you go to california, will your CPL be good, as per feds... BUT... You have to be aware of all the local and state laws they have there, and carry accordingly? Good point!

Or do they, just make all CPLs the same, when it comes to over state line carry? Etc...

I don't see a way to get around to it. For example, you can carry in the WA legislative chamber concealed, but pretty sure you can't per state law.

IMO, a CCW reciprocity just means the other state has to recognize your permit and treat you just as they would one of their own licensed citizens.

Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nationwide constitutional carry is the only answer. Any other approach will be a legal nightmare for all parties involved.

Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:32 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Guns4Liberty wrote:
Nationwide constitutional carry is the only answer. Any other approach will be a legal nightmare for all parties involved.

Yes.
Like it is now.

Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The most important step, I believe, is codifying the 2A as a Federal Civil Right. That ends the argument in a language liberals can understand and support. Tie it to civil rights and it's over. Throw in denial of federal $, much like the threat with sanctuary cities, and the deal is sealed.

I don't see any real-world downside to reciprocity.

I envision it will be akin to a DL or back when gays could only marry in a few states, but that marriage was then recognized by law in all 50 states. Heck, bakers are forced to bake cakes for gays over violating their "civil rights" now! As long as you're complying with the driving laws, or marital laws, in each state, the other states will recognize it.

Nobody is supposed to legally create gun-owner databases. They probably exist regardless, so that's a far-fetched concern.

I would love to just start eroding in whole chucks all the gun control. I imagine a world soon where you can live and travel to previously very undesirable (from a liberty standpoint) places like CA and OR and MA and HI... Places I really hate to visit because I'm effectively disarmed.

Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
The most important step, I believe, is codifying the 2A as a Federal Civil Right. That ends the argument in a language liberals can understand and support. Tie it to civil rights and it's over. Throw in denial of federal $, much like the threat with sanctuary cities, and the deal is sealed.

I don't see any real-world downside to reciprocity.

I envision it will be akin to a DL or back when gays could only marry in a few states, but that marriage was then recognized by law in all 50 states. Heck, bakers are forced to bake cakes for gays over violating their "civil rights" now! As long as you're complying with the driving laws, or marital laws, in each state, the other states will recognize it.

Nobody is supposed to legally create gun-owner databases. They probably exist regardless, so that's a far-fetched concern.

I would love to just start eroding in whole chucks all the gun control. I imagine a world soon where you can live and travel to previously very undesirable (from a liberty standpoint) places like CA and OR and MA and HI... Places I really hate to visit because I'm effectively disarmed.

To my understanding it already is a civil right. At least according to the definition of what a civil right is. If it isn't please explain how exactly it is not.

Further, isn't it already incorporated against the states and subject to strict scrutiny since McDonald v. City of Chicago 2010?

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DONOTBUGME wrote:
Or we can push for constitutional carry and I dont need anyone permission to carry. As long as I am legal to carry it, then leave me alone

As good as that sounds I don't think it's that great of an idea. First off, how will you weed out the felons? At least with a CPL people are forced to undergo a BGC. (like the D/L Test).

Second, I would like to see some basic training required. That MIGHT prevent some stupidity like the bozo that was cycling his semi-auto in a Renton theater and ended up shooting a woman in front of him. I say MIGHT but at least it's an attempt. I've seen people walk out of gun stores with firearms that are so ignorant of firearms their new purchase should have a large arrow stamped on the barrel that says "Bullet Comes out Here!!".

I don't see the Fed's getting any more involved than they are if Concealed Carry Reciprocity became law across the country. We don't see them involved in the individual vehicle ownership and stay focused on "emissions and safety of the vehicles".

Sure would be nice to be able to drive across state lines without having to stop, unload, lock up, and resume driving. Also would be nice to know there would be no consequences if you forgot and ended up standing at the gas pump in Weed CA with your pistol exposed on your belt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
DONOTBUGME wrote:
Or we can push for constitutional carry and I dont need anyone permission to carry. As long as I am legal to carry it, then leave me alone

As good as that sounds I don't think it's that great of an idea. First off, how will you weed out the felons? At least with a CPL people are forced to undergo a BGC. (like the D/L Test).

Second, I would like to see some basic training required. That MIGHT prevent some stupidity like the bozo that was cycling his semi-auto in a Renton theater and ended up shooting a woman in front of him. I say MIGHT but at least it's an attempt. I've seen people walk out of gun stores with firearms that are so ignorant of firearms their new purchase should have a large arrow stamped on the barrel that says "Bullet Comes out Here!!".

I don't see the Fed's getting any more involved than they are if Concealed Carry Reciprocity became law across the country. We don't see them involved in the individual vehicle ownership and stay focused on "emissions and safety of the vehicles".

Sure would be nice to be able to drive across state lines without having to stop, unload, lock up, and resume driving. Also would be nice to know there would be no consequences if you forgot and ended up standing at the gas pump in Weed CA with your pistol exposed on your belt.

Weed them out from what? Carrying concealed weapons after felony convictions and without a permit? Do you think they dont already do that? The only difference in WA law in having and not having a CPL requirement is that law abiding people who want to carry have to go through a BGC. If we removed the CPL law and just allowed anyone to legally carry who wasn't a felon or otherwise prohibited not much would change. It would still be illegal for prohibited persons to carry, just like it is now. And they still would, just like they do now. Most people who wouldn't put in effort to get a CPL under the current system would likely not carry even if there were no license requirement. You cant cure idiot by making a training requirement either.

Further, even without a CPL a person who wants to obtain a gun legally in order to carry it legally has to go through a BGC anyway.

I think this is falling into the trap of believing that the CPL laws are somehow an exception to the rule we all know: Criminals dont give a flying fuck about the law.

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jdhbulseye wrote:
deadshot2 wrote:
DONOTBUGME wrote:

Weed them out from what? Carrying concealed weapons after felony convictions and without a permit? Do you think they dont already do that? The only difference in WA law in having and not having a CPL requirement is that law abiding people who want to carry have to go through a BGC. If we removed the CPL law and just allowed anyone to legally carry who wasn't a felon or otherwise prohibited not much would change. It would still be illegal for prohibited persons to carry, just like it is now. And they still would, just like they do now. Most people who wouldn't put in effort to get a CPL under the current system would likely not carry even if there were no license requirement. You cant cure idiot by making a training requirement either.

Further, even without a CPL a person who wants to obtain a gun legally in order to carry it legally has to go through a BGC anyway.

I think this is falling into the trap of believing that the CPL laws are somehow an exception to the rule we all know: Criminals dont give a flying fuck about the law.

Yeah, what ^he^ said. Image :thumbsup2:

Glad you typed all that, so I didn't have to!

Deadshot, I like you, dude, but I think you are straining to find problems that don't exist. Image

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:55 pm

Two things.

First of all, there is NO need to pass any more laws. All that is needed is the full enforcement of Article 4 of the Constitution--Full Faith and Credit, meaning that each State must respect the judicial proceedings of the other. By following the letter of the law, a CCW/CPL from any State would be accepted by all.

Second...

Quote:
An anti-gun cop is pissed that he must 'allow' us average peons to have guns, and carry them...

He runs a plate...and follows them until he finds a reason to pull them over. He then 'knows' that the driver is armed, and, for 'officer safety' he decides to pull the driver out at gunpoint, forcing him onto the muddy ground, then writes as many tickets as he can, making sure he lets the driver know that this all happened 'for officer safety' because 'we know you have a gun'...

Really, dude? Really?

Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Powderman wrote:
Two things.

First of all, there is NO need to pass any more laws. All that is needed is the full enforcement of Article 4 of the Constitution--Full Faith and Credit, meaning that each State must respect the judicial proceedings of the other. By following the letter of the law, a CCW/CPL from any State would be accepted by all.

Pretty much that.

Expect the left to howl state's rights if this happens, the same way state's rights were invoked over gay marriage.

End result should hopefully be gay married people carrying concealed pistols in all fifty states while buying marijuana abortions or something like that. Also I've been up for almost 24 hours with no sleep.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
Powderman wrote:
Two things.

Pretty much that.

Expect the left to howl state's rights if this happens, the same way state's rights were invoked over gay marriage.

End result should hopefully be gay married people carrying concealed pistols in all fifty states while buying marijuana abortions or something like that. Also I've been up for almost 24 hours with no sleep.

Once the Go Fast wears off you will be fine. Just lower your dosage next time. :bigsmile:

Jeff Cooper

cityslicker wrote:

Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Powderman wrote:

Quote:
An anti-gun cop is pissed that he must 'allow' us average peons to have guns, and carry them...

He runs a plate...and follows them until he finds a reason to pull them over. He then 'knows' that the driver is armed, and, for 'officer safety' he decides to pull the driver out at gunpoint, forcing him onto the muddy ground, then writes as many tickets as he can, making sure he lets the driver know that this all happened 'for officer safety' because 'we know you have a gun'...

Really, dude? Really?

I've already posted proof of 'selective enforcement'....IT'S ALREADY FUCKING HAPPENING just on a smaller scale. Did you not see the article and quote from the police chief?

Yell at me all you want, I'm not the police chief that said 'fuck your rights, we're gonna illegally detain you anyway'....

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next