Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:38 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Open carry of an AR15 on a motorcycle 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Same advice I'd say for OCing anywhere. Carry it in a reasonable fashion. Let them call the cops. I had a Mercer Island cop casually chat me up waiting for a bus there over OC because somebody called *shrug*. Most cops know the score on OC and I don't think a single department wants the liability from a protracted stop.

Also, Ruger .41 mag blackhawk with a 6.5" barrel. Or sometimes a Makarov I had some lib get in my face screaming at me a couple years back over it while I was waiting for a bus in Seattle. It was funny. Cops saw it, they wanted to see my CPL before I boarded the bus, then a few days later the Sheriff's department called to apologize for making me show my CPL and said that wasn't their policy and that they'd educate their transit cops on it.

As for why? Meh. Because I can. Because I don't feel like having to hide my gun. Personal comfort, personal choice.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I OC in Thurston County all the time with no issues. I know a bunch of guys to include John Snaza on the sheriffs dept, and they are so in favor of citizens carrying. They know that they do not have anywhere near enough deputies to cover the county, and can't be everywhere.

Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
Same advice I'd say for OCing anywhere. Carry it in a reasonable fashion. Let them call the cops. I had a Mercer Island cop casually chat me up waiting for a bus there over OC because somebody called *shrug*. Most cops know the score on OC and I don't think a single department wants the liability from a protracted stop.

Also, Ruger .41 mag blackhawk with a 6.5" barrel. Or sometimes a Makarov I had some lib get in my face screaming at me a couple years back over it while I was waiting for a bus in Seattle. It was funny. Cops saw it, they wanted to see my CPL before I boarded the bus, then a few days later the Sheriff's department called to apologize for making me show my CPL and said that wasn't their policy and that they'd educate their transit cops on it.

As for why? Meh. Because I can. Because I don't feel like having to hide my gun. Personal comfort, personal choice.

Do you need a CPL for boarding a bus open carry because it's a vehicle? Have you ever refused the police any request? In general I wouldn't want to be a jerk but at the same time, I fully understand why you wouldn't want to identify yourself if not required, ultimately it is a form of intimidation.

Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes because it's a vehicle.

And from time to time where it see it useful to do so. The average grunt on the street can't be reasoned with, it's easier to let them think they are winning and get it done with and then take it up to their chain of command.

The KCSD Captain I spoke to said the two transit cops just weren't educated on the situation and policy not to demand a CPL for simply boarding a bus while OCing. They corrected that matter and life goes on.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My personal attitude toward Open Carry is that I won't go out of my way to OC or will I go out of my way to conceal.

Each and every situation is different. I just carry. When it's cold I put on a coat. When it's windy I put on a light jacket. When it's warm I merely go out in a shirt. I find IWB carry uncomfortable so I carry in a holster that holds my firearm(s) secure and comfortable. No fancy tactical rig and I limit spare magazines to what I need to balance the load on my belt.

I consider myself to be just an ordinary guy with no desire to show off. I get regular haircuts, shave regularly, and don't have a ton of body piercings or tat's. In short, people probably don't notice me at all, much less the fact I'm carrying a firearm. As I think back, I believe the only person who's ever mentioned my carrying was a Cabela's clerk when they first opened the Tulalip store. He merely commented "I sure wish they'd allow us to carry like they do the customers".

Personally I don't think it's all about the fact you are carrying but more a case of what you look like and what you are doing. Just remember that the way RCW 9.41.270 is worded, those last items CAN be considered when a Police Officer is determining whether to stop you or not. Also, precedent has been set in Vacouver WA when Josh Watson was convicted of unlawful carry. His "Jury" was made up of six people from a pool of 12, 11 of which were gun owners. Don't know if the non-gun owner made it to the final 6 but it's clear that not all gun owners are "Open Carry Friendly" when the circumstances can cause concern.

To my knowledge this case has never been overturned on appeal so you could expect it to be cited in "your trial" if your behavior brings undue attention to the "law".

Just saying.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PinSniper wrote:
I saw a thread in a work forum and this woman said she would call the police if she saw someone with a gun.

That same woman would most likely call the Police if she saw you picking your nose or adjusting your junk in public. The world is full of people like that.

The good news is that over the last 10 years Police Departments have been made aware of the state's preemption law and while they may respond, there's a good chance all the officers will do is stop, say high, how are you, and move on if the person carrying isn't doing anything strange.

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jim1019 wrote:
A guy I work with showed me a picture of a dude on a motorcycle with an AR slung over his shoulder with a magazine inserted. Is that legal to do here in WA? Open carry a loaded AR?

Dude also had what looked like a Desert Eagle in a drop-leg holster.

Is this anybody on here? It was in the Everett area today (1/04/16).

Just curious. Thanks.

https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=77.15.460

Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jim1019 wrote:
A guy I work with showed me a picture of a dude on a motorcycle with an AR slung over his shoulder with a magazine inserted. Is that legal to do here in WA? Open carry a loaded AR?

Depends on the circumstances (see the applicable RCWs). I wouldn't assume that an inserted magazine means the firearm is loaded; it could be an empty magazine. Like Guntrader said, an inserted magazine of unknown condition may catch the attention of law enforcement and result in a stop to inspect, but it matters not what an individual officer thinks; it matters only what the law says.

Definitions:
http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.010
Quote:
(14) "Loaded" means:
(a) There is a cartridge in the chamber of the firearm;
(b) Cartridges are in a clip that is locked in place in the firearm;
(c) There is a cartridge in the cylinder of the firearm, if the firearm is a revolver;
(d) There is a cartridge in the tube or magazine that is inserted in the action; or
(e) There is a ball in the barrel and the firearm is capped or primed if the firearm is a muzzle loader.

This section doesn't prohibit an empty inserted magazine. The emphasis is clearly on the firearm containing live ammunition.

Carrying firearms:
http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.050
This section deals ONLY with carry of pistols, and the emphasis is on concealment; it says nothing about carry of long guns (open or concealed).

Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms:
http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.060
Again, no mention of long guns.

Weapons prohibited in certain places:
http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300
The list of places you can't carry is very short.

Loaded long guns in a vehicle:
https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=77.15.460
Quote:
1) A person is guilty of unlawful possession of a loaded rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle, as defined in RCW 46.04.320, or upon an off-road vehicle, as defined in RCW 46.04.365, if:
  • (a) The person carries, transports, conveys, possesses, or controls a rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle, or upon an off-road vehicle, except as allowed by department rule; and
  • (b) The rifle or shotgun contains shells or cartridges in the magazine or chamber, or is a muzzle-loading firearm that is loaded and capped or primed.

This section only addresses loaded long guns in vehicles; it does not address loaded long guns on your person walking down the sidewalk.

This may not be an exhaustive list of the RCWs applicable to your question, but I think they answer your question.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
This section only addresses loaded long guns in vehicles; it does not address loaded long guns on your person walking down the sidewalk.

The OP's question was about a motorcycle. Motorcycle's are vehicles under the relevant RCW section.

So, it is possible the mag was empty. But if the mag had rounds in it, that would be illegal (loaded AR15 on motorcycle).

And yes, a loaded handgun OC/drop-leg on a motorcycle requires a CPL.

The only section that might potentially cover OC of an AR-15 when walking is 9.41.270, and there's a lot of gray there.
Depends on where you are, who is there, how it is held etc.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:05 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:13 am
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Cops should stop the bozo and tell him not to walk in the street before he gets hit by a car or causes a collision.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
Guns4Liberty wrote:

The OP's question was about a motorcycle. Motorcycle's are vehicles under the relevant RCW section.

I know the question was about a vehicle, which is why I quoted material from the link you posted, but looking back at the way I wrote it I can see how you might think I missed the OP's question.
ANZAC wrote:
The only section that might potentially cover OC of an AR-15 when walking is 9.41.270, and there's a lot of gray there.
Depends on where you are, who is there, how it is held etc.

I agree that 9.41.270 creates a gray area:
Quote:
(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

...but I think you could make a pretty strong case that absent evidence of intimidation, harassment, or threats, someone's irrational alarm for their own safety at the mere sight of your lawfully-carried firearm is NOT grounds for your arrest and prosecution under this section. But crazier things have happened, so the possibility certainly exists.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Guntrader wrote:
In WA, not legal to carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in/on a motor vehicle unless:
LEO
While actually hunting with a WA disabled hunting permit under certain conditions.

Whether an inserted mag of unknown condition would be RAS/PC for a vehicle stop, I dunno.
But in Seattle it would gather a lot of attention.

Ah, good catch. I missed the "loaded" part of the OP . . . my bad. Yes, this is only legal if the gun is unloaded.

Leaving aside the question of why the hell you'd OC an unloaded rifle with empty mag inserted...

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quantsuff wrote:
MadPick wrote:
Guntrader wrote:
In WA, not legal to carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in/on a motor vehicle unless:
LEO
While actually hunting with a WA disabled hunting permit under certain conditions.

Whether an inserted mag of unknown condition would be RAS/PC for a vehicle stop, I dunno.
But in Seattle it would gather a lot of attention.

Ah, good catch. I missed the "loaded" part of the OP . . . my bad. Yes, this is only legal if the gun is unloaded.

Leaving aside the question of why the hell you'd OC an unloaded rifle with empty mag inserted...

Keeps dirt and shit from flying up into the empty magwell. It is a motorcycle he's carrying on you know. Not the inside of an air conditioned vehicle with cabin air filter, etc.

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:02 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

deadshot2 wrote:
Keeps dirt and shit, blood and body parts from flying up into the empty magwell. It is a motorcycle he's carrying on you know. Not the inside of an air conditioned vehicle with cabin air filter, etc.

FIFY

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next