Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Felons and gun laws 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I looked it up and am pretty sure it's a No Go but wanted to confirm it, so here I am in the most trusted gun site in the state...

I have a friend who is a convicted felon. He did stupid stuff in his 20s, I met him in his 40s, now he's well into his 50s. He's not under any court orders and hasn't been for over 30 years. Age doesn't really matter but I just wanted to provide some context.

He's working on getting his gun rights restored. Pretty much paying off the right people and jumping through hoops. Typical .gov

I haven't offered yet but can I even take him shooting? Private range rules aside, say we got to the forest.

The RCW that gets me is that he can't have a gun in his possession or in his control. I guess I'm unclear about the distinction between those two terms. If I'm standing right there does that negate either/both of those terms?

Like I said, I haven't offered to take him. He just mentioned that he was working on getting his rights restored and wanted to start hunting as a hobby.

Here's the RCW that I looked up: http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.040

Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:29 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Not a lawyer but.......

No, you may not legally take him shooting or hand him a firearm until his rights are restored.
Not in a car, not here nor thar, not in a boat, not with a goat.................

I know several people who have had their felonies vacated and guns rights restored.
Pretty simple actually. Takes a few weeks.
No pay offs or knowing the right people. Sounds like he is blowing smoke up your ass.
But if he has a bunch of convictions, he is probably not eligible to ever own a firearm again outside of a pardon.

A lot of people do it themselves, but I would recommend hiring a lawyer that is knowledgeable in this practice of law. If you qualify for a vacation, it will be granted, but if you fuck up on the paperwork and it is denied you may not get a second chance.
Buddy of mine paid $500 for both the vacation and restoration of firearm rights (two separate motions, but the lawyer only has to go to court once. My buddy no longer lived in the county of conviction and the lawyer didn't appear, just faxed it in).

https://www.courts.wa.gov/forms/documen ... 0_AUG1.doc

First step is to have him go to WA WATCH and see what his WA record looks like.
https://fortress.wa.gov/wsp/watch/

If eligible in WA then do a fingerprint card and send it to the FBI for a personal record review.
If he has convictions in more than one state, he's probably fucked.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
No a lawyer but.......

No, you may not legally take him shooting or hand him a firearm until his rights are restored.
Not in a car, not here nor thar, not in a boat, not with a goat.................

I have helped several people get their felonies vacated and guns rights restored.
Pretty simple actually.
No pay offs or knowing the right people. Sounds like he is blowing smoke up your ass.
But if he has a bunch of convictions, he is probably not eligible to ever own a firearm again outside of a pardon.

A lot of people do it themselves, but I would recommend hiring a lawyer that is knowledgeable in this practice of law. If you qualify for a vacation, it will be granted, but if you fuck up on the paperwork and it is denied you may not get a second chance.
Buddy of mine paid $500 for both the vacation and restoration of firearm rights (two separate motions, but the lawyer only has to go to court once. My buddy no longer lived in the county of conviction and the lawyer didn't appear, just faxed it in).

https://www.courts.wa.gov/forms/documen ... 0_AUG1.doc

First step is to have him go to WA WATCH and see what his WA record looks like.
https://fortress.wa.gov/wsp/watch/

Then do a fingerprint card and send it to the FBI if he is eligible for a vacation in WA.

That's what I figured.

No smoke up my ass at all. He never asked and I didn't offer to take him.

'Hire a lawyer' could be read as: 'Pay off the right people'

'Filing motions' could be read as: 'Jumping through hoops'

Thanks for the clarification.

*Why does everyone bring up the goat...

Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:11 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I have a client who cannot own firearms because of a DV misdemeanor in the 80's (broke a girlfriends TV).
Would be easy enough to clear it up, but he's not that interested in owning a gun and just doesn't seem to care.
Not a big deal for some people.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even blackpowder is a no-go.

Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Archery?

Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:
Archery?

Worked for them Duke boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know there's at least one guy on here who has had his rights reinstated, maybe he'll read this thread & respond.

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hire a good lawyer. The paperwork and having someone that can represent you IF you have to appear in front of a judge is a huge positive.

I had a buddy get out of the navy, a Corpsman who was assigned to a marine infantry unit in Iraq. He fell on some hard times, wife left him soon after his discharge ran off with the kids and wouldn't let him see them despite a court order. He fell into alcohol and drugs after about a year of not being able to see his two daughters. He ended up getting popped with a decent amount of heroin(enough to be charged with a felony). When they locked him up, he was homeless, living in his car. This was in 2009.

As of 2 weeks ago when I met him for a burger. He now is second incharge of a rock quarry, splitting his time between here and Montana. Happily married, clean and working hard to establish a relationship with his girls. He had his firearms rights restored earlier this year.

He admits HE fucked up, and he blames no one other than HIMSELF for HIS actions. And that's exactly what he told the judge when he went to court.

Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:08 pm

It's good that their seems to be some level of recourse. I have a friend or 2 that have gotten themselves in arguments with lady friends and things got way out of hand. Hope you're friend is able to turn things around legally.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]