Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:38 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Airbow. Legal to make and sell? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can't make a firearm expressly to sell it. (Without the proper licenses, etc.)

You CAN make a spud gun and sell it.

Doesn't an airbow, (Gun shaped. Shoots arrows with air.), kind of fall in between?

I can't find anything that says whether it is legal or not to make and sell an airbow.

Anyone know the answer?

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:49 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Does it meet the definition of a firearm?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Does it meet the definition of a firearm?

From what I can find, it doesn't.

But I have learned not to count on what is obvious.

For instance, in California, spud guns are legal. UNLESS you use a combustion process to shoot the potato. Then, it becomes a firearm, there.

I am not going to assume that just because an airbow doesn't use combustion, or any sort of explosive, to fire the airbow, they aren't going to consider it a firearm.

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
You can't make a firearm expressly to sell it. (Without the proper licenses, etc.)

Doesn't an airbow, (Gun shaped. Shoots arrows with air.), kind of fall in between?

I can't find anything that says whether it is legal or not to make and sell an airbow.

Anyone know the answer?

I would say yes:

https://www.amazon.com/Crosman-BABPNBX- ... B01BKBWMV2

Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
Selador wrote:

Anyone know the answer?

I would say yes:

Just because somebody is selling something doesn’t make it legal to own. Most of us have seen Armslist listings that are NFA items because of of somebody’s ignorant changes. There are also firearms legal for us to own, but in California they aren’t legal.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's legal to own, but not legal to hunt with in Washington state for big game. So pointless other than having a little fun I guess.

Paintball guns also shoot with compressed air and are gun-shaped. They are also not firearms.

Since it does not use combustion, it is not a FIREarm. Instead it is subject to laws concerning airguns.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

scorpion rider wrote:
NWGunner wrote:
Selador wrote:

Anyone know the answer?

I would say yes:

Just because somebody is selling something doesn’t make it legal to own. Most of us have seen Armslist listings that are NFA items because of of somebody’s ignorant changes. There are also firearms legal for us to own, but in California they aren’t legal.

The question asked wasn't about whether legal to own, but to build and sell. But even if it were.....

Crosman has made and sold these for years, and it's available at Cabela's, on Amazon, Sportsman's Guide, and a myriad of other places.

I was trying to be helpful and answer Selador's question; not sure what your gripe is other than to try and lecture me on an irrelevant point.

Happy New Year, Anyway :thumbsup2:

Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My concern is, as has been stated by myself and others. Just because something is being sold, doesn't mean I am not going to find myself in the graybar hotel, if I do the same.

It's not like I am going to suddenly build a factory and start cranking these things out, like crossman. Just thinking about making some for friends. Heck, I haven't even begun to 'design' one. (If I do, it'll be designed around available fittings and such.)

Liability alone, (from being sold to people in other states that might actually consider this a weapon, and illegal. Some do...), is enough for me not to consider actually producing a bunch of them.

I just want to get my ducks in a row. I'm not a gambling man. I'd like to see something 'offical' about the subject. :bigsmile:

The crossman airbow, IS being used legally to hunt. And is, in fact, legal here in Washington, for certain disabilities. Which makes me get a hinky feeling, when I think about what the snowflakes could try to pull. (If it could kill a deer, it could kill a person.)

But then, so are bows and crossbows. And you don't have to have a special license to build or sell those. Nor do you have to go through NICS to buy one. You can buy one off the shelf at walmart.

Just like pellet guns, and BB guns.

The facts that these do not work with any sort of combustion or explosion... And you can buy one off the shelf, with no special requirements or registration. Point to it probably being just as legal to build and sell one of these, as a home made pellet gun. (You might face liabilities if you did, and some darwin award seeker hurt themselves with it. But you wouldn't be facing prison for the manufacture and sale.)

I just can't get past that hinky feeling...........

Do justice. Love mercy.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You asked if it was legal to make and sell, and my point was simply that one reputable company, the seems to observe the law, makes it, and another reputable company with a liberal owner whose site restricts things that are even legal sometimes, sells it.

Since it doesn't fall under the purview of anyone to regulate it, it seems you should be able to make it.

As far as hunting, there are many things you can legally own, but not hunt with.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
scorpion rider wrote:
NWGunner wrote:
Selador wrote:

Anyone know the answer?

I would say yes:

The question asked wasn't about whether legal to own, but to build and sell. But even if it were.....

Crosman has made and sold these for years, and it's available at Cabela's, on Amazon, Sportsman's Guide, and a myriad of other places.

I was trying to be helpful and answer Selador's question; not sure what your gripe is other than to try and lecture me on an irrelevant point.

Happy New Year, Anyway :thumbsup2:

Wasn’t trying to lecture. Sorry if it came across that way.

It has been legal to own suppressors in this state for a long time, but if memory serves me correctly there was a time you couldn’t shoot them even though you could own them. I just don’t take other people’s word for some things. Best to make sure yourself. It would suck to loose your ability to own fire arms from somebody elses incorrect info. Not saying your info was incorrect.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the reply.

I just meant that with the legal departments these places have, and the rules Amazon has, it would seem to be legal.

When you brought up Armslist, NFA, & California gun laws, it seemed out of context.

Perhaps lecture was too strong a word, sorry about that :cheers2:

In the end, we're both just trying to help Selador stay outta the clink :shocked4:

Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
In the end, we're both just trying to help Selador stay outta the clink :shocked4:

Much appreciated. :bigsmile:

Do justice. Love mercy.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]