Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Troy Alpha Battlerail install issue 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I just picked one up and when I installed it, it was loose. I am wondering if I need to use a Troy (or other comparable manufacturer's) barrel nut. Currently I am using a YHM barrel nut on a TM upper. Won't seem to clamp on tight enough.

Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:39 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Troy usually requires the use of their barrel nut. Usually they are included in the package though.

Did you buy this rail used?

Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:23 am
Profile WWW

Ive used 3 or 4 different alpha rails (its currently my favorite rail) and never used a "troy barrel nut". Always just used the cheapest "mil-spec one I could find. Think 2 of the builds used the "barrel nut for M16/AR15" found on Rainier Arms for like 8 bucks. The other two have been similar from brownells or midwayusa. In fact I don't think any of the alpha rails ive gotten have even come with a barrel nut.

Long story short the rails have always been nicely done and fit up nice and tight on factory barrel nuts.

Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:56 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I had a troy FF years ago that I had to use a Troy nut to get it to work right... Maybe things changed since then? I know there are still proprietary nuts for the TRX system, but that is a .308 rail.

Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:17 am
Profile WWW

Yeah I don't know all their rails...only familiar with the Alpha rail myself

Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okey dokeyo, I'm an idiot. Works fine now, dunno what I was doing wrong the other times. Another question though. There is maybe a millimeter of play in the barrel left to right. If I tighten the nut enough to eliminate the wiggle, the gas tube won't work. I can add (compressed to a decent size) pics if that would be helpful. I'm hoping to get max accuracy out of this cheap @$$ build :D so want to ensure that tiny bit of left- right wiggle won't affect anything.

Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:23 pm

Are you talking the actual barrel nut and the barrel? If so you want ZERO movement. You should be able to get the barrel nut to line up. Torque can be between 30ft lb's and 70ft lbs (some go higher but that's my limit). Ive yet to have one not be able to line up in that range. 30ft lbs (heck even 20ft lbs) is enough to hold the barrel in nice and tight.

Any sort of movement in the barrel (1mm) can effect a lot of things and cause issues. If you meant the rail to barrel nut...then that's personal preference. 1mm would bug me though

Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you have the barrel torqued, even partially, you shouldn't have any barrel play.

I don't mean to be a dick, but, Dude, find someone who knows what they are doing before you F* up your parts.

Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1mm of play in the barrel isn't a "little bit". icon_eek

That's enough to make the entire thing blow up in your face.

And doing some quick math, 1mm deflection at the tip of a 16" barrel would put you about ten inches off target at 100 yards.

Not good.

Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, this build seems to fix it's own problems. Talked with Joe at Joe's Guns and Stuff and he said torque it down, and dremmell off any teeth in the way of the gas tube. So, tightened it down, and low and behold, teeth line up perfectly now. Got it all assembled, functions perfectly. Now to shoot....

Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

fwiw, when i did that with my fortis rev rail, it stretched the metal and i couldn't use it with any other upper.

Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mr. Q wrote:
fwiw, when i did that with my fortis rev rail, it stretched the metal and i couldn't use it with any other upper.

Did what?

Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]