Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 9:30 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Shotgun smith? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Walt wrote:
That is a nasty one. Do you have a decent wood clamp? If so, I would use some wood glue from the inside and clamp it for a couple days to give it a chance to set. Once the glue has set, then give it a good coat of linseed oil on both sides.

:yes: :yes:

PLUS:

Add a couple of "pins" that go directly through the crack at right angles. I've fixed cracks like this by drilling a hole the same size as a piece of brass brazing rod (no flux on it). Cut off a piece of the rod that's slightly longer than the total length of the hole. Rough up the surface of the rod by rolling it on a wood surface with a flat wood rasp on top of it. The rasp will create all kinds of dents and burrs after a few strokes. Mix up some epoxy adhesive. fill the hole and wipe some on the rod. Pound the rod int the hole and then clamp as above. When the epoxy's cured, along with whatever you used to glue the wood. then flush trim and sand off the ends of the pins.

Shotguns are relatively "Low Pressure" rounds. The forend that shows the crack doesn't add to the strength of the gun, it's just a means to hold it. Make sure the buttstock is intact and if you find any cracks repair using epoxy and pins.

As for loads, stick with the lowest "Dram Equivalent" loads with lightest shot total weight. That will reduce the recoil. This shotgun reminds me of the old Browning "humpback" and they kicked like mules.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:46 am
FFL / Dealer

If you have trouble with the wood, get back to me. I have repaired many just like this.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:59 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Update: So, I went to shoot it today. I did 5-Gun second time ever shooting a shoot gun. We did 3 rounds no problem. Then it went down hill first stand of the 4th round I pull the trigger and nothing. I work the action and pull the trigger a few time I wasn't hearing the firing pin then it started to work. I go to shoot again I get one off but the shell didn't eject. I look at it try to pull the bolt back nothing. It looks like the pin on the bolt came out and bent the receiver. So I took it apart and bent it back. Now when you pull the bolt back its kind of hard not hulk hard but harder then before.

What should I do next? Just hang it on the wall?

F.Y.I. The best round with The 11 was 11 go figure. I did finish the last round with a rental 11-87 and hit 15.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look like this is the only part I'm going to need. Not sure if it was installed wrong or just worn for it to pop out.
Oh well, it looks like these guys have it. Any one ever buy from them?
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacture ... htm?page=5

Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

numrich is great and one of the few that carries something for everything.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deleted

Sat May 18, 2013 8:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2