Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Steel/Glass bedding - what release agent to use???? 

Ok so I'm about to embark on a journey that from what I have read; is among the least pleasant things a gun smith will do: a full steel bedding job.

I have watched all of the videos on YouTube and read millions of forums so I have a really good idea what I'm doing in terms of removing enough wood, damming up certain points with modeling clay and so forth. The major inconsistency I have seen and that has me worried is the release agent, I've seen everything from Pam cooking spray to a can of brownells release agent. Every person is different and swears by their method, what I'm looking for is input on what yall use, the good & bad experiences and what to watch out for so you don't get a mechanical bond to the action and so forth.

Thank you in advance for your help!!!

My reasoning for full steel bedding: I purchased a stock off of Richards and though it's it astetically appealing and I'm aware that no stock is a 99% fit but this puppy is like placing my action into the Grand Canyon.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

By "Steel Bedding" I'm assuming that you are going to use something like Devcon Plastic Steel.

The principle behind a "release agent" is merely to prevent the epoxy base of he bedding agent to bond to both the stock and action. Almost any oil or wax based substance will work. The reason some people use Pam is it's "quick and dirty". Spray on and plop the action in the "goo" that's already spread in the stock.

You can also use the specific "parting agents" that are commonly used in the fiberglass molding industry which is usually a spray on Polyvinyl Acetate (PVA) material that forms a barrier between mold and the epoxy.

For a small job like bedding a rifle action the most commonly used product among the DIY crowd (and a lot of gunsmiths too) is just plain Kiwi Shoe Polish (Neutral so it doesn't stain wood stocks). Clean the action of all oil, grease, and dirt then apply a coat of the Kiwi to not just the area you will be bedding but anywhere the epoxy might spread or be dribbled and you don't want it to stick. I wax at least 1/2"-3/4" above the "part line" where the action leaves the stock just to make sure.

It's not just a matter of smearing the wax on and then expecting a great looking finished job. Take some time. Apply the wax, let dry, then polish it down to a smooth surface. If you don't, when you part the action from the stock you'll have all the excess wax left on the action and a crappy looking finish on the cured epoxy.

Add some wax to the threads of the action screws and run them in/out of the threaded holes a couple times to make sure the threads in the action are waxed too.

It's important to make sure that the action isn't rotated in the stock when bedding. I found that adding an o-ring that fits over the action screw and then fits inside the "pillar", with the OD of the ring just touching the ID of the "pillar" not only makes sure that the action is not rotated off center (if it's a round bottom Remington) and keeps the epoxy from flowing into the pillars. You can also wrap the screws with electrical tape, again so they are centered in the pillar holes. Just make sure the tape is wrapped evenly and the end of the tape on the last wrap matches where the end of the first layer lies.

You also want to make sure that no epoxy makes it's way into the bolt locking lug area. I do this by installing the bottom metal then insert the screws with 0-rings before laying down the epoxy. The 0-rings hold the screws and bottom metal (Leave the magazine box, spring, and follower off the bottom metal for this part) Spread the putty then carefully set the action on the screws. Start the front action screw first as this is the most critical one for keeping the epoxy out of.

Once you have the screws started, just tighten until they're finger tight, no more. Secure the action to the stock with surgical tubing, wrap with bungee cord, or if you have one of those Physical Therapy exercise elastic bands, use it. You want the action to be held in place with no internal stress that can be induced if you tighten the action screws.

If the stock is sloppy, you might want to put an O-Ring around the barrel, right at the tip of the forend that spaces the barrel at the front the desired amount. Then let the action sit on the stock at the tang (rear). If the pillars (or action block) is in good shape then just use them (it) to locate the action in the epoxy while it cures.

Now back to the original question------- Use Kiwi Shoe Polish :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I've done more than a dozen bedding jobs and still haven't used up my original can of shoe polish.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use clear shoe polish for release agent and play-doh to block any holes, threading or voids.

Both work great, and are way cheaper then buying something that is dedicated. I can get a "bedding kit" at Walmart for less than $20 and used right can do amazing things for your accuracy. Used wrong it can be a pain in the ass to chip it all out. Done about 10 rifles now. I tend to use the steel epoxy, put everything together and trim excess and after its set I sand the edges to smooth them out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk Pro

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:40 pm
Profile WWW

Hi, I am struggling to find the bedding kit here in Australia and still unable to find. Is there a way of shipping here in Australia?

Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LauraH wrote:
Hi, I am struggling to find the bedding kit here in Australia and still unable to find. Is there a way of shipping here in Australia?

You should be able to order what you need from Brownell's UK

http://www.brownells.co.uk/epages/UK.sf/en_GB/?ViewAction=View&ObjectID=13283&PageSize=15&Page=2&ICShowAllFacets=1

They show both the accraglass kits and Devcon. Devcon is more expensive but there's no comparison in quality. Devcon wins, hands down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]