Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:07 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Maverick 88 Help 

I just got a beat-to-shit Maverick 88 for free from my neighbor; who got it from his friend that doesn't take care of his firearms, with the intent of making it work, because right now it doesn't. I broke it down hoping it just needs a good cleaning, alas, it has a broken extractor/missing spring (#34 & #35 from here) just from what I can see. I think that Maverick 88s are interchangeable with the Mossberg 500, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Is there any trick to fixing this part of the gun other than having the right punches? Or should I try and find someone that can do this for me. Since I got the gun for free, I don't mind throwing a few bucks at it just to have another usable gun but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks!

Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:10 am
Founding Father
Founding Father

First step is making sure nothing else is broken or missing. Having the right punches is the second step. Third step is making sure you get everything aligned correctly.

If you want, I can fix this for you for almost nothing. If you want to order the parts and try to fix it yourself I'm sure you could. Moss 500 and Delta 88 are damn near the same gun.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:14 am

TacticalAssault wrote:
First step is making sure nothing else is broken or missing. Having the right punches is the second step. Third step is making sure you get everything aligned correctly.

If you want, I can fix this for you for almost nothing. If you want to order the parts and try to fix it yourself I'm sure you could. Moss 500 and Delta 88 are damn near the same gun.

If you'd be willing to do that, that'd be awesome. If it's a quick-fix kind of deal, would you mind letting me watch? There's also some rust pitting on this thing too so it might be worth it to clean/coat it if that's a possibility.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:20 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

nostrebhtuca wrote:
There's also some rust pitting on this thing too so it might be worth it to clean/coat it if that's a possibility.

Oooooh . . . you just threw a steak in front of the lion! 8-X

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:21 am
Founding Father
Founding Father

=))

Um yeah...there is a possibility of cleaning it all up and making it pretty again.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:35 pm

My friend has a Mossberg 500 that had the same issue. I fixed it for him, just a matter of having the springs, extractor claws, roll pins and punches. Maverick 88 is pretty much the same thing except for the fore end tube and front grip as far as I know. Receiver and its internals are the same.

Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]